My Grandfather's '37 Oldsmobile

James

Bofusmosby - thanks for your post. What's that car of yours you're showing in your post? It's purdy!

Jeff_a - Just to clarify, one of the members here, Luv2Wrench, is named Jeff too. He came over to look at the car one day, and I found out he went to Georgia Tech - colors Blue and Gold (when not white and gold anyway), so that was the "joke" about the Navy Model A with Gold spokes, the owner of which was a Georgia Tech grad also. I guess I could have been a LOT clearer in my original comments. :o

JamesD

Edited by James (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you James. Its a 1937 Pontiac 4-door slant-back. It looks good from a distance, but the closer you get, the more problems it has.:D

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest stanmoffett

Just curious James.... since you are making a rod out of your '37 will you need your dashboard radio knobs? Would you be interested in selling?

Thanks much

Stan

Guest bofusmosby
Just curious James.... since you are making a rod out of your '37 will you need your dashboard radio knobs? Would you be interested in selling?

Thanks much

Stan

Where in the world did you get the idea he was going to rod it out?

Guest stanmoffett

So sorry about that. I obviously was confused with some other article or another thread I had read.

Anyway... this time I read through your whole thread, James, and was quite taken by your whole story. In many ways it reminded me of my own story.... my grandparents bought a F-37 1937 Olds in '52... drove it for a few years then sold it to my father. He drove it back and forth to work until my older brother turned 16 in '61. He drove it for two years then it was my turn... drove it through highschool then college. After my father gave the car to my two brothers and me, I bought my brothers out and began restoring the car in 1975.

Just finished about a year ago (with just one or two little items to go). It has been a very long time with much cost involved but I wouldn't have done it any other way. I love it so much and I'm sure you will too.

Looking forward to hearing more of your story. If I can be of any assistance or help with additional pics, parts or whatever, please let me know.

Thanks

Stan

post-85131-143138949665_thumb.jpg

post-85131-143138949691_thumb.jpg

post-85131-143138949714_thumb.jpg

post-85131-143138949737_thumb.jpg

Guest stanmoffett

Thanks Keith.... know what you mean.... in my case it was just a question of time and money... never really had enough of either.

Guest bofusmosby

Stan

If you are looking for something specific with your car (dash board radio knobs etc.), why not start your own thread to see if someone might have what you need? Also, post it in the wanted/for sale section. You never know what others might have. Do you have any photos of what the knobs look like? I have thousands of old TV and radio knobs, but I doubt I would have what you need, but you never know.

• 6 months later...

Hello Friends!

Hello, hello, hello.

I am alive, and my '37 Olds is alive.

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT HAS BEEN TWO YEARS+ SINCE I HAVE POSTED IN THIS THREAD ! ! !

The progress on the car has been in "fits and starts."

a) reflecting my life and my ability to focus energy on the car

B) reflecting Mike's job as a schoolteacher and really just having summer and holiday's to get work done

Actually, in the 2 & 1/2 years since I rescued the car into my possession, the first two years was pretty slow, just minimal progress.

But the last 6 months has been going gangbusters!

And the good news for y'all is that I have been taking lots of good (:confused:) pictures as we have been going along.

I will, directly, go back and post up some pictures here, sort of in batches, showing the progress in order and in manageable bites.

BUT FIRST...

BEFORE I START BRINGING Y'ALL UP TO DATE...

I want to use this post to take care of some "old business."

When I logged on here just now, and found this thread, I read back through it. I was so touched by:

ALL of the familiar names.

ALL of the encouragement for me to keep the car.

ALL of the kind words about my father.

I just want, before moving forward, to just take one quick look backward, and say THANK YOU to:

Ctskip

Luv2Wrench

raywilks

bofusmosby

Frank Tate

stanmoffett

Dave Henderson

Msmazcol

DeSoto Frank

Jim Rohn

Zimm63

Jim43

keiser31

michel88

jeff_a

Backyardmechanic

papaw

michael valencia

West Peterson

TexRiv_63

BillP

Kaycee

1940_Buick

Larry Schramm

mercman86

unimogjohn

Paul Christ

Windjammer

Scotts_DG8

... and I'm sure some others I have missed.

But each one of you had something to say that helped me in some way.

What a great forum, made up of a great bunch of individuals.

I hope most of y'all are still around and will see the thread when it gets bumped to the top here in just a minute.

Or are subscribed to the thread, or however this all works.

So... that's it for tonight.

Just a thread to say I am indeed alive and well, the car is "in progress", and THANKS TO ALL.

Pictures and story to follow.

James

Guest bofusmosby

James, Great hearing from you again!! Glad to hear you are making progress. I can't wait to see some photos of your progress. I have been in a bit of a slump with my own car, but just yesterday the actual problem with the engine was found, and it will soon be fixed, and I'll be on the road! Glad to hear that you are OK, and thank you for your update. Looking forward to reading (and seeing) more from you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay.

There’s so much that’s coming that I’m busy working to get ready for.

But I am going to try to catch y’all up on the car.

The progress that I’ve made these last couple of years.

In chronological order...

Early on, before I really started getting any real work done on the car proper, someone told me about this feller who redid running boards.

And I knew that this was something that I would want to address eventually.

So I decided to jump onto this little discrete project.

Here’s a “before” picture of the front of the runningboards.

37%20Running%20Boards%20%27Before%27%20%5Bfront%5D%20%285-8%29-L.jpg

And a “before” of the rear.

37%20Running%20Boards%20%27Before%27%20%5Brear%5D%20%285-8%29-L.jpg

They were nasty!

“Rubber” (whatever material) was dry and cracked and nasty.

In places, the rubber was gone and the metal was rusted.

The rubber (?) got chiseled off.

The metal frame sandblasted down to CLEAN.

Then put into a mold/form and some manner of urethane rubber (or whatever material?) poured.

And Voila!

%2737%20Running%20boards%20%27%27after%27%27%20%285-8%29-L.jpg

Beautiful “new” runningboards!

A minor piece of the puzzle to be sure.

But they turned out beautiful, and at least made me feel like the project was under way!

I’ll pick up on the work on the actual car in a next post soon!

James

P.S. I sure was hoping all the guys that helped me through the hard times were still around, but doesn't seem so. Most moved on I guess. God bless 'em!

Those running boards do look great! More info about the where and how would be appreciated too.

It's tough for most of us to make steady progress on our car projects, as everything else gets in the way. It took me 20 years to get my '41 Roadmaster on the road, I though it would take 5 or so, and the interior is still not complete. Anyway, keep up the good work!

Keith

Guest volcomsnow6983

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and tumbled upon this thread. I too have a 37 Olds F37 Touring Sedan that my Dad and I was given us from his Uncle a couple months ago. We got it trucked out from Kentucky to California in a non operational state and have been trying to trouble shoot it slowly.

I have already found a few useful websites and ideas in this thread, and look forward to see your progress James.

Mike

post-88877-14313927999_thumb.jpg

post-88877-14313928026_thumb.jpg

post-88877-14313927998_thumb.jpg

post-88877-1431392800_thumb.jpg

Guest 2moredoors

I saw that you were not posting but now you are back I will try to watch. I have a '37 Olds it is a driver an older restoration and I keep working on it.

Parts are harder to find than for my Studebakers but if you watch ebay things do come up and you can try other GM models for trim that may be the same (door handles, glass, headlight lenses etc). There are some old car parts dealers out there that may have a few things in stock "Fusick" comes to mind but there are others.

Good Luck

Guest bofusmosby

Dave, since this thread has been here for a number of years, I believe that it should stay here. Why not just post a link in the Olds section, directing them here?

• 2 weeks later...
The running boards look absolutely fantastic! Tell us more, please. Did you do them yourself? or... where did you have them done? What kind of cost?

West,

This '37 Olds fella I met with the NAOC told me about this fellow that did running boards.

As it turned out he is just a couple of hours up the road from me! In Rossville GA.

Name of Hunley Acuff (distant cousin of Roy Acuff for any southern/country music fans out there).

So I just drove them to him.

The PEOPLE we meet in this hobby are usually such a big part of it and this was no exception.

It was great to meet him, see his operation, etc.

But he does of course do UPS back and forth with people.

He's got molds/forms for dozens and dozens of makes and models.

I don't like posting phone numbers on open internet sites, but if anybody want's to get in touch with him, PM or eMail me and I'll give you his information.

Cost was in the $700 to $900 range (back when I did this!) depending on whether he does everything or you prep the running boards (scrape, sandblast) before you send them to him.

James

P.S. This be him:

The%20Running%20Board%20Man%20%5Bcloned%20%5D%288%29-L.jpg

Edited by James (see edit history)

Dave, since this thread has been here for a number of years, I believe that it should stay here. Why not just post a link in the Olds section, directing them here?

Now see, I think this would be a GREAT idea.

I think if there's Olds people that stick to the Olds Forum and don't frequent this Forum, they might enjoy this thread.

AND, maybe I'd get some "Olds-specific" comments/help from them.

However, I'm not very "forum savy".

How do you do that?

Will somebody do it?

Or tell me how/what to do and I will.

thanks,

James

....This '37 Olds fella I met with the NAOC told me about this fellow that did running boards.

As it turned out he is just a couple of hours up the road from me! In Rossville GA.

Name of Hunley Acuff (distant cousin of Roy Acuff for any southern/country music fans out there).

So I just drove them to him.

The PEOPLE we meet in this hobby are usually such a big part of it and this was no exception.

It was great to meet him, see his operation, etc.

But he does of course do UPS back and forth with people.

He's got molds/forms for dozens and dozens of makes and models.

I don't like posting phone numbers on open internet sites, but if anybody want's to get in touch with him, PM or email me and I'll give you his information...

Another thread here http://forums.aaca.org/f169/running-board-guy-hundley-acuff-251665.html His web site still works, but has a 2008 date

Dang! I never new he had a website.

Well there you go!

Thanks for that information.

Btw, I was told that "he may have retired" and "you'd better hurry before he retires", etc.

So, when I was up there, I specifically asked him if he was still going, going full time, would like me to refer people to him, etc.

And he said "Oh, yeah, sure."

James

P.S. Although as with most things in life you're best not to put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today. :)

Guest Rob McDonald

JAMES, these forums are an ever-flowing source of semi-personal contact. I spend waaay too much time here and yet only today found your thread (two threads, actually). So pleased to read about your Oldsmobile, your father, your friend Mike, and even a glimpse of your stepmother. Had one of those but it ended badly, too.

Unlike you in your earliest posts, I'm not afraid to tackle most mechanical tasks but that doesn't mean I get around to them. I've had my Buick almost 40 years, started restoring it in the 1980's, but got stalled - marriage, kids - over 20 years ago. I'm just getting back onto the project now but time's toll has been taken. Not on the car, it's fine, but on me. Like riding a bicycle, you don't forget how to crawl under a car, but the question now looms - why should I?

At this ripe, not-so-old age (58) I/we should be able to simply cut cheques to satisfy our hobby urges, right? That didn't work out for me, either. Well, my third cup of coffee's gone cold, so I'm heading out now to tackle some stubborn, ill-placed exhaust downpipe bolts. If you're very patient, you can watch me on http://forums.aaca.org/f163/rust-does-sleep-actually-life-57-a-292591.html

That's great you decided on going forward with this. The history is definitely an added touch, and it's only got 25 years before it has been in your family and yours alone for a whole century. My dad still has his first car, a '40 Plymouth, and my grandmother has a '61 Impala sedan bought new. Both I'm hoping to get some day, and while a full restoration probably isn't in the cards, having them as drivers will be more than suitable.

• 2 months later...

Hey Rob!

Glad you found my thread.

See intermediary comments in-line then pick up below please.

JAMES, these forums are an ever-flowing source of semi-personal contact.

It's just wonderful!

I spend waaay too much time here and yet only today found your thread (two threads, actually).

Yes, as above, glad you did!

So pleased to read about your Oldsmobile, your father, your friend Mike,

He is a good friend, one of the most highly prized things a person can have!

and even a glimpse of your stepmother. Had one of those but it ended badly, too. <-seems all too common

Unlike you in your earliest posts, I'm not afraid to tackle most mechanical tasks but that doesn't mean I get around to them. I've had my Buick almost 40 years, started restoring it in the 1980's, but got stalled - marriage, kids - over 20 years ago. I'm just getting back onto the project now but time's toll has been taken. Not on the car, it's fine, but on me. Like riding a bicycle, you don't forget how to crawl under a car, but the question now looms - why should I?

At this ripe, not-so-old age (58)

I wish I were that young again :rolleyes:

I/we should be able to simply cut cheques to satisfy our hobby urges, right?

It is important to find pleasure in our lives! (...as my traditional Chinese medicine doctor told me AGAIN just today!)

That didn't work out for me, either. Well, my third cup of coffee's gone cold, so I'm heading out now to tackle some stubborn, ill-placed exhaust downpipe bolts. If you're very patient, you can watch me on http://forums.aaca.org/f163/rust-does-sleep-actually-life-57-a-292591.html

I'll go see your rust sleeps thread after I finish up here.

Check on down below.

If I'm lucky I'm going to put a few pictures up!

Jim

Continental,

That's great you decided on going forward with this.

The history is definitely an added touch, and it's only got 25 years before it has been in your family and yours alone for a whole century.

All I have to do is make it to 90 and I can be there for my car's 100th birthday!?!?! :confused:

My dad still has his first car, a '40 Plymouth, and my grandmother has a '61 Impala sedan bought new.

Oh! man!

My grandmother had a 1940 Dodge that she gave to me, and that I had for a while, but let it get away.

#*&@#*&@#!!!

And a "second father" neighbor of mine when I was growing up had a red Impala convertible from right about then, maybe '62 or '63.

Those are two FINE cars your relatives have.

Hope you are able to take over their care.

Both I'm hoping to get some day, and while a full restoration probably isn't in the cards, having them as drivers will be more than suitable.

Jim

Hey All,

I, actually, came here to do some "searching".

On tires.

Bias vs. radial.

I'm going to do the vast majority of my driving of this car on backroad rural roads.

And am leaning toward bias tires for the more historical "look."

Comments welcome.

But, when I got here, I found a PM from volcomsnow.

And saw some posts in my thread.

And looked at how LONG it had been since I had been here. (three months!)

So I thought I'd check in and contribute and catch y'all up a little bit.

I've made LOTS of progress.

And taken HUNDREDS of pictures.

And have been sort of waiting until I could get "around to it" to get them all processed and write this all up into a proper documentation.

But that doesn't seem to be happening.

So...

Rather than let the perfect be the enemy of the good, let me at least show y'all a few odd's and ends pictures that I DO have.

(ones that I processed up to send to various friends and family).

Other than the pictures of "The Runningboard Man",

the only real pictures I've posted have been of the move from my Dad's basement up the highway to my friend Mike's house.

Here's a picture of it's "home" at Mikes, were it was for about two years.

This was early on.

Quickly we found a way to get it up about two feet and put some OSB underneath so you could zoom around under it more comfortably.

Today...%20we%20%27%27made%20smoke%27%27%20019%20%285-8%29-L.jpg

This was "the day we made smoke."

And brother we make a LOT of smoke.

But most of the smoke was Marvel Mystery Oil and various other potions we had poured down various orifices to loosen things up, flush things out, lubricate, etc.

After a short time, she was running quiet and clean.

btw... per Mike's approach, we never turned the car over not once, until we had worked on every system individually and it had passed muster.

On this day, when we finally turned it over FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 40 YEARS

it cranked and coughed and sputtered for about 30 seconds or a minute,

just cleaning out all the stuff we had poured through it mainly I think,

and then it caught and smoothed out, and has been cranking and running on demand ever since.

Today...%20we%20%27%27made%20smoke%27%27%20009%20%285-8%29-L.jpg

A few months ago the time came to take it to the body shop.

And here is Mike standing by to steer as we winch it up onto the flatbed hauler.

You can see the chains hooked up in front.

btw... these are the same tires that were on the car in 1971 when Daddy parked it for the last time.

He made some attempt to keep them aired up and off the rims for a year or two maybe.

But that ideal quickly lost steam.

And it had been sitting on the rims for a good 38 years I'd say when we got ready to tow it to Mikes.

I hated the thought of watching the tow driver d-r-a-g the car out of the garage and up onto the truck.

So I thought I'd see if the tires would hold air.

They did!

And they have been fine for the last couple of years.

I wouldn't want to take it out on the highway, but they're champs as far as rolling it here and there.

(P.S. Don't the car look small???)

Re-Moving%20Day%20009%20%285-8%29-L.jpg

And here we are rolling it off at it's arrival at Kelly's body shop.

Re-Moving%20Day%20024%20%285-8%29-L.jpg

And here we are starting to sand.

Body%20Sanding%20Begun%20001%20%285-8%29-L.jpg

And here she is in epoxy primer.

Gray%20Epoxy%20Primer%20008%20%285-8%29-L.jpg

I sure wish I could show you about a hundred more.

On some of the mechanical work.

Of the mud dauber nests under the frame.

And where Mike's chicken laid an egg in the trunk.

But just ain't figured out the time to do it yet.

Maybe someday.

But that's a taste, for now anyway.

Best regards,

Jim

Guest bofusmosby

Jim, Great to hear from you again! Your car is "Looking Good"! I can't wait to see more photos. I'm glad to hear that you have been making progress. I am so glad that you made this decision to keep the car and get her running.