Dash inverter removal ideas?

DAVES89

Fox,

Looked at the ebay listing for the inverter you mentioned above, and watch out: that one is spec'd at 500VAC output, not 110VAC like the original part. This will likely cook your EL back lighting as it is well beyond the design voltage of the EL strips used in the Reatta. There is usually some tolerance on voltage (which determines the maximum illumination brightness) but a 450% increase is likely to end badly (as in burned out EL strips). If it didn't burn them out, it would increase the brightness substantially - probably so much as to be distracting - and shorten any remaining service life from the lighting in the pods, gear shift indicator, window/seat switch etc.

KDirk

KDirk, you are completely right. I did not intend to get one with 500v output. I had looked at several and I guess I didn't properly read the one I actually bought, thinking it was 110v. Oops! I certainly won't use this one. Thanks!

Ronnie, I had been looking at your website. From there I got most of the info I needed location, testing, model# and manufacturing] but had some last questions. Thank you.

As I did the console "upgrade" and the backlighting doesn't work on my window/mirror switch [thats OK as the console lighting "upgrade" illuminates that area good enough for me], I will be ordering dash inverters for sure.

Based on what Drake said about minimum order of $100.00 per line item, I would have extra.

Based on Drakes pricing of $25.00 ea plus the freight of $8.64 divided by the four inverters he bought equals $2.16 This would make the net cost to me of $27.16 each. I would sell them at $32.00 each freight delivered to you.

Please PM me if you are intersted in going in on this...

I will need to be purchasing one for certain, so let me know. $32 would be perfectly fine.

Drake,

I called Endicott and spoke to your contact Jeanine. I was not able to order the dash inverters as she could not identify the part#. I thanked her for her time and came back to the forum to look for additional info.

I called Jeanine again after coming back to the forum. In that time between my calls she did locate the inverters. She will get back to me with pricing as they have upgraded their software and that particular part# is not yet priced in the system.

She also told me that as these are obsolete they want to liquidate the inventory they have, so she is going to offer me a "buy all" price. Otherwise the $25.00 each price Drake paid [minimum 4] she thought still sounds right.

I am still looking for more interest. Keep in mind that the inverters in your car are now over 20 years old. If you like seeing "the show" and want backlighting on your headlight/wiper pods you may want to consider doing this with me. If yours hasn't gone out, it will. And buying used at $10.00 to $20.00 each will only get you a little more time.

I should know by Thursday. Please PM me with any interest.

Edited by DAVES89
new information (see edit history)

Guest Drake

Dave, glad you got through. I've istalled both new inverters in my 89, and the console & pod backlighting have worked as new. I purchased two for spares at the time, which I still have. When I posted last April, there seemed little interest in future purchases. At the cost of these inverters, anyone with an 88 or 89 should be considering the purchase.:rolleyes:

As some of you remember I tried doing a "buy all" when there was the issue of the little shock absorber for the motor. There was little interest then, and so far there appears to be little interest now.

But I will get the info and report back...

I recieved an e mail from our contact at Endicott. They have "quite a few in stock" They "have been discontinued" They are "being sent back to be retested" Which "should be no problem" She will get back to me regarding various price points starting with their minimum order of 4 to as many as they have [after they have been tested].

At this point 5 is all we need and I am buying 2 of those 5...

At this point the focus is on the dash inverters. To date I have a verbal commitment for 3, four if I count you Rawja. Plus my 2 equals 6.

I think I will call the local Buick garage to find out the last selling price. Then we will see what kind of a "value" we get buying them this way.

I stopped in at Bob Fish Buick Cadillac, GMC in West Bend Wi. where my brother used to work. I spoke to the parts manager and as we all know the inverters are obsolete and their is no last price as they were discontinued too long ago to be in the computer.

I have not heard back from my contact at Endicott...

I just think it is interesting to note that there were over 13000 cars made between '88/89.

We know from a previous post that there are only 18 console inverters. And she said lots of dash inverters, lets say for the sake of discussion 100 of them.

Then that is it.

That means that there are going to be a lot of unhappy people in less then 5 years.

I have recieved emails and PM's equaling interest in 15 inverters.

Almost half for the console.

And only 5 people...

six if you count me...

Dave,

My PM'd offer stands, although if you decide there is insufficient interest to pursue a liquidation buyout of Endicott's inventory, please let me know soon as I may purchase some directly if this plan doesn't come together. As you point out, some owners will be caught short if they care to preserve the originality of their cars down the road for lack of parts like this.

The only consolation is that these inverters could be substituted with minor modifications to some currently available parts from other suppliers. This, of course, is a less elegant and more time consuming solution solution that will require some owner expertise (or the development of a tutorial) to accomplish.

KDirk

From the start I knew that I could meet the minimum. What I was hoping for would be to buy all the inventory at the best price. This way whomever wants to buy just one could do so rather then meeting the $100.00 per line item minimum.

Regarding the inverters it is only lately that we are seeing breakdowns, which reflects an aproximately 20 year use life. So if one would buy 1 more of each [dash/console inverter] they would probably be set for the life of their car.

Your idea of modifing parts from other suppliers is interesting. What is more interesting to me is that 2 of the electronics gurus that we have on this site have committed to buying them thru me. So I don't foresee a tutorial coming from those sources.

So without going back over the posts to see who is in, right now I would order 12 dash and 8 console inverters, which certainly meet the line item minimum.

I will come back with a final post with the pricing of the inverters, and when I expect to place my order. Also at that time I will post my address so whoever wants one can mail me the money before I place said order...

Steve-

Thanks! The pic is another one of the same set I took last fall, just a different (and

better IMO) angle.

---

wws944-

No, the inverters are used on 88/89 cars only for the back-lighting power source on the dash panel switch pods, the gear shift indicator and the mirror and window seats located in the center console. I am only buying these now due to my intent to purchase an 88 (or possibly 89) in the next year or two in addition to my 91.

---

Dave -

Modding parts is always less desirable (and more difficult) than just using what was intended. That is why I am interested in buying some now while I can get NOS. I would mod different parts if absolutely needed, and if and when it came to that I would probably offer a tutorial to do so for the benefit of other owners.

I am guessing it will be a while before there is a need for that, since the failures are just now becoming more frequent based on an unscientific sampling of the owners posting here on the subject. I am sure that some will rely on used parts until they are not obtainable, which pushes the need for an adapted non-stock part further down the road still.

I am just the type who likes to plan ahead and not get caught in an inconvenient situation. It also means I have boxes upon boxes of parts in waiting "just in case". This requires a certain mindset and commitment of funds & space. I understand a lot of people can't or don't want to do that for various reasons, and only buy what they need when they need it.

I also believe (or delude myself into thinking) that I can keep my car on the road in the long term (20 years+) with proper maintenance, care and supply of critical parts. The joke may end up being on me but I'm going to try anyway. All this may end up being malinvestment, but I like to think otherwise.

KDirk

As important and hard to find as the inverters are, maybe the Reatta Division as a club should consider buying all the remaining inverters as a group and then sell them to members at cost and at a profit for non members like me. It would be a good project for the club as a way to raise money for the club and at the same time would help ensure an adequate supply of the inverters in the future for Reatta Owners. If I were a club member I would be pushing for this. Just my 2¢.

Just recieved a firm price quotation from Endicott. I forwarded it to Ronnie for download for all to see. [Ronnie please download the entire sequence of emails so all can see what they originally wanted].

They have over 200 of the dash inverters and none [0] of the console inverters.

Their price is $30.00 each any quantity, however you must place a minimum order of $100.00 which means anyone on their own would have to buy four [4].

Factoring shipping and handling to my house and repackaging and shipping to your house I would do this for $37.00 each or two [2] or more $35.00 each.

If we don't do as Ronnie suggested with the Reatta Club buying them, [which I am for] I will place my order on Mon. April 12.

As this could get expensive [at least for me] I would need to have the money in hand before I order for you.

Please mail your checks to;

Dave Lemke

240 Edgewater Drive

Menasha, Wi. 54952

NOTE; I do not have paypal nor can I accept charge cards.

Pricing once again

$37.00 each freight included

$35.00 each freight included [2 or more]

[if you want 4 or more of them you may want to consider buying them on your own]

Below is the information on the inverter forwarded to me by Dave. I have included a copy of the order form as a photo that can be printed out. It is at the bottom of this page.

Below are links to .pdf files of the "Order Form" and the "Terms and Conditions" for ordering the inverters.

Order Form - (.pdf format)

Terms and Conditions - (.pdf format)

Thanks for the hard work Dave.

-----Original Message-----

To: jdecker@ergpower.com;

Sent: Fri, Mar 26, 2010 10:27 am

Subject: RE: ERG Inverter 1642275 & 01642274

Hi Dave,

We don't have any more of the 01642274 parts, I'm sorry. We do have over 200 of the 1642275. I discussed this with my Sales director and he has authorized a sale cost of $30.00/each for any quantity. These will be sold on a non-cancellable/non-returnable basis. We do not anticipate continued manufacture of this part in the future. I have attached our credit card order form. Please fill this in and return it to my attention. Please be sure to specify your preferred ship method. I will add F&H to the credit card charge.

<<...>> <<...>>

Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:33 PM

To: 'lemke1044@aol.com'

Subject: ERG Inverter 1642275

Hi Dave,

The good news is that we do have quite a few of these in stock. They were manufactured several years ago and we would have to retest them. When they past test, which should be no problem, we would be happy to sell them to you. We have discontinued manufacture of this part so these would be sold on a 'non-cancelable/non-returnable' basis. I have not yet gotten pricing from my Sales Director yet. I will be in contact again tomorrow with cost break down for quantities 4 through whatever total stock count is.

Best Regards,

Jeanine Decker - Inside Sales

Endicott Research Group, Inc.

Tel: 800-215-5866 Ext. 3048

Fax: 607-754-9255

jdecker@ergpower.com

Here is a link to print the photo below.

inverter_order_form.jpg

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

What Ronnie didn't include was the verbal pricing that I recieved from Endicott was as follows;

1 to 9 $50.00 each

10 to 24 $40.00 each

25 to 49 $35.00 each

50 plus $30.00 each

It was only after I reminded her that one of the guys from the Reatta forum just a year ago was able to purchase them for $25.00 each and that she allowed him to split the order to buy both the console and dash inverter @ $25.00 each 4 for $100.00 that she went back to her boss and got this latest pricing of $30.00 each.

She also encouraged me to buy them all and sell them on ebay. I told her that I was not interested as $30.00 each times 200 equals $6000.00 Money I don't have.

So now everyone is up to speed...

Dave,

Unless it impacts you negatively in some way related to a group buy (didn't mention if there was any quantity discount, though it sounds to me like Endicott now wants to milk this item for some easy money) I will probably order directly, since I will order 4 of the dash inverters instead of two of each (since there are no console inverters). I question that the dash inverter cannot be substituted for the console part, as the power output is more than adequate and everything else in the specs is very close [per earlier post in this thread]. I am thinking there is a difference in the pinout, and this is easy to work around.

I will do some looking at this once I have the inverters and see if my thinking is right, it may help other 88/89 owners who can no longer get a [new] console inverter to use a dash inverter in it's pace if there are no deleterious effects in doing so. I have the window/mirror switches and a shift plate from an 88 (all in rough shape) but I will test my theory and see what pans out.

Please let me know if my ordering directly screws up anything for you, and if so I will go back in on the group buy.

Thanks,

KDirk

Guest Falconman

My 89 has been sitting for most of winter and when I did drive was during daytime. Have experienced intermittent problems with pod lights being slow to come on but thought it was the light switch because pushing the on button really hard several times they would start working. I will most likely want to order an inverter but does this sound like a switch problem. Thanks

In my own experience I had the intermittent issue as well. Kept swapping inverters with ones found in a salvage yard, until I found one that worked consistently [ For about 2 weeks it worked great and then started going intermittant]. I have experienced a 50% success rate with used ones [but the second one has only been in for two weeks as well].

My experience has been that when I open the drivers door and the odometer doesn't light up, the pod lights won't work.

Tomorrow is the April the second and to date I have only recieved one order for two inverters.

Padgett I recieved your check and when our new inverters get to me I will enclose my 2 extra dash inverters as I said I would send to you at no charge.

As I have now met the minimum I will place my order with Endicott on Mon. 4/13 after I recieve that days mail.

Please get your order in if you want in on this deal...

Dave,

Enclude me also for two (2) if the dash inverters. Owner of an 88 reatta red coupe. Having trouble with lights. Dash & Pod. Will send check for $70.00 as they say in the mail.

Address:

Thanks for the opportunity to use your last post as a reminder. With your purchase [and my purchase of two] that brings up to a "group" buy of eight [8] units. So we have four people buying. Not the interest I expected.

Once again pricing as follows;

1 inverter $37.00 each

2 or more $35.00 each

Delivered to your house.

My address is;

Dave Lemke

240 Edgewater Drive

Menasha,Wi. 54952

I place my order next Monday, April 13.

I do not accept charge cards or paypal. Personal checks/cashiers checks/money orders are fine.

Please be sure I have your return address...

• 2 weeks later...

As I was too busy with work I was unable to order last Monday as promised. [besides just today I recieved a check to order]. So here is who has mailed me a check and how many they get;

Richard Hall - 2

Roger Klein - 2

Padgett - 2

Fox W. - 1

Dave Lemke - 2

Is there anyone else?

Please respond by Monday as I hope to order then.

Thanks

Also I have decided not to cash the checks until I place the order. The order should be placed this week. There is still two more members placing an order, so I am waiting for checks.

Anyone still interested?

Please let me know.

Last check arrived today.

No additional interest.

I am placing the order tomorrow.

I guess I am surprised by the interest. 200 inverters left, no more to be made.

Ever.

13000 Reattas made in '88/89 and I place an order for 12 inverters, 3 of which are going to Kdierk who doesn't even own an '88/89.

I went back and reread the posts. I think the access to the inverter in the dash is best accessed from the top. There are instructions on Ronnies site for removing the defroster vent as well as the dash pad. The inverter is in the corner of the dash closest to the driver on the drivers side as was previously posted.

At this point removal is a simple procedure as the inverter is held in place by a simple push in clip;

Grab the inverter firmly, give it a quick jerk to break the push in clip and the unit is out. There is enough lead for one to then pull the inverter towards yourself, see how it unsnaps and the reinstall the new unit. Then you can put the unit back in the hole and fish it down thru the various wiring harness' to get it to the bottom of the dash for easy removal the next time. [if neccesary]