South of the Border!

rocketraider

Guest Skyking

Been by that way many times going from RI to Florida. I think it's posted every mile or two until you reach the spot. One time when vacationing in Florida we stopped there on the way back to RI. My son bought a load of firecrackers and packed them in the trunk of our LeBaron. My wife thought the car was going to blow up.............she was a wreck all the way home.:D

Guest Gary Hearn

Back in the old days when going to Florida you would start to see the signs a couple of hundred miles out, i.e.:

Pedro sezs, only 200 miles to South of the Border

Cool today, hot tamale

And of course the billboards advertising the fireworks.

Guest Model T Nick

My South of the Border story:

I was working in SC for 7 years and kept our house in NC. We passsed by SOB every weekend and didn't stop once.

Guest Hinckley

SOB is a fascinating mix of modern and classic road side kitch. Five years ago I wrote a book, The Big Book of Car Culture, that profiled everything automotive from the evolution of crash test dummies to the Model T, from Route 66 to the history of the ambulance. One section was dedicated to road side attractions and I added SOB. the place has very interesting history.

This was my first association with the place in quite some time. I was born on the coast of North Carolina but have not been back for a number of years.

I live in Southeastern NC and have passed by South of the Border many times. Many years ago we decided to stop on the way home late at night to have dinner in one of the South of the Border restaurants. We have not stopped there again.

I live in Southeastern NC and have passed by South of the Border many times. Many years ago we decided to stop on the way home late at night to have dinner in one of the South of the Border restaurants. We have not stopped there again.

I have the same fond memory of one of the restaurants. It was most memorable as the worst meal that I have ever had on the road!

It's certainly a piece of "Car Culture." Have been past many times, stopped a few times too. There is an antique shop in there someplace and I actually bought a porcelain sign there a few years ago.

Terry

Guest Paul Christ

Years ago I stopped into SOB for a quick bite to eat. I visited the cafeteria (first building on the right as you enter on 301/501) and was happily surprised - the food was really good. I enjoyed a chilli dog, and that dog was as memorable as any hot dog from your favorite ballpark would be. On a later visit, I decided to try a "nicer" appearing sit-down restaurant and was met with horrible food. Ever since, I've stuck with the cafeteria and I've been happy (well, as happy as you can be with a chilli dog and burrito floating around in your gut). icon10.gif

Having driven past "South of the Border many times, and stopped only once in the past 45 years, I think about how my Mom looked forward to stopping there as she and Dad drove back and forth between Linden, NJ and Plantation, just inland from Ft. Lauderdale, FL. That place was, and remains so "kitsch", it reminds me of so many places we visited while driving the historic "Route 66" with its Wigwam Motel and other oddball fond memories. Of course, memories are generally better than the reality.

Everyone should experience a place like "South of the Border" at least once, as a reminder that a second visit could be harmful to their reputation.

Many, many years back, as we made our regular summer trips between New Jersey and the Catskill Mountains Resort Hotels, Dad would always stop at the "RED APPLE REST" . I believe it was just outside of Tuxedo, New York -- a town made more famous in Glenn Miller's Band's theme song "Tuxedo Junction".

Best to all for the New Year.

Many, many years back, as we made our regular summer trips between New Jersey and the Catskill Mountains Resort Hotels, Dad would always stop at the "RED APPLE REST" . I believe it was just outside of Tuxedo, New York -- a town made more famous in Glenn Miller's Band's theme song "Tuxedo Junction".

Best to all for the New Year.

There was an article in Hemmings last year about the Red Apple Rest. It closed last year.

Steve,

Thanks for the reminder - yes , I recall the Hemmings article.

I think that in the early post-war years out stop was to let the Willys Americar, and then the '35 Chevy, and later the '35 Packard 6-cylinder cool off from the drive. As I recall, the Packard was well-worn, and used a lot of oil, requiring a "topping-off" at the Halfway point of our 120 mile trip. It eventually got so bad that dad would buy "reclaimed oil" at 10 cents/quart, and we had a friend come by to re-bore the cylinders while the engine was still in the chassis. New pistons and rings solved the oil-burning, and a year later, the Packard was sold to buy a 1942 Chevy.

Guest kaycee

:) ' Stayed there at the Don Q Inn and took a tour of the plane there north of Dodgeville, Wi. when going to House On The Rock north of Dodgeville, about twenty years ago when I lived way up in Tomahawk ,Wi. 'Quite the places!

:) kaycee

Lessee- 56 Plymouth, 53 and 58 Buicks, 56 Ford, and what looks like a 58-9 Rambler wagon. I'm also one who will watch old 50s and 60s TV shows just to see the cars.

I kinda miss the times when motels were locally owned and had their own distinct style. Those that are left are now usually flophouse 1-room apartments or cheap digs for construction crews on the road.

We used to stay in two in Gettysburg that I really enjoyed. They were locally owned, clean and reasonable, and they had atmosphere. Then Gettysburg College schemed on buying them for dorms as it was cheaper to buy them than to build their own new dorms. And another piece of roadside America was lost.