WOW-Get your scuba gear out!

Steve, you paniced me there for a minute with the thread title. Thought maybe we were going to be using the Lemon....I mean Yellow field again.

I saw the headline about the car on another site a minute ago. I'll have to check out the youtube link this evening. Not allowed on there with company computer.

I was thinking that it would look neat hung over a Bar in a large Restaurant/ Inn. I have been told that once these items are pulled from the water, they oxidize and deteriorate rather quickly if not treated properly. Very Cool Find. Dandy Dave!

Reminds me of the old war planes that are recovered from the drink or ice caps and then "restored". In reality the only thing that is usually restored are the serial # plate(s). Everything else is too far gone to use other than as a template for newly fabricated parts.

Does that make the completed project a restoration or a replica?..............Bob

hey, it still has the original paint on it, call it a survivor or barn find, barnacle find that is :)

bugatti.lago.maggiore.003.500.jpg

bugatti.lago.maggiore.002.500.jpg

A visitor to the Bugatti Builder Web site posted, having watched video of the rescue, "It appears to be a T23 Brescia.... You can see the four exhaust manifold pipes as well as the steering column matching up with the rear crankcase arm, implying an integral, post chassis no. 1612 Brescia model. I can't wait to hear more!"

ascona8.jpg

ascona6.jpg

and in case you wanted to hear one run in the worst of conditions ...

Edited by Jim Rohn (see edit history)

Bob, my question is how much of what we see in the pictures will be used in the restoration. If I'm not mistaken Bab's is running on a war surplus engine not the one that was dug up. Speaking of Bab's have you seen the videos of it running? I cringe everytime I see it, skipping and popping from stuck valves and running sooo rich you can almost hear the rings screeching on dry walls!

That was my point. Maybe some name plates etc will be saved. In my estimation the finished product will be more of a replication rather than a restoration. I don't offer that as criticism in any way............Bob

If winning an AACA National First Place award is the final goal, there are a ton of Model T Fords running around with oval plaques with less original factory parts that this Bug will have IMO. Sure someone will need a fat bank account but there are Bugattis racing today with very few original parts. I'm looking forward to seeing how the engine and transmission look inside, and if things will come apart. I spent 14 years working on Bugattis so I'm looking at this from a very different view point than most, I'd like to see it rebuilt. Next time you see a restored Stanley Steamer ask the owner to list the replaced parts and point out the bits the Stanley Brothers had inside their factory.

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)