existence of Rat Pack Custom Cloud Automobiles

Guest Linda Lippert

Guest Linda Lippert

I own a Chevrolet Monte Carlo that was made over into a Custom Cloud approximately 1975-1976 for Sammy Davis Jr. I have been told that these cars were also made for other members of the Rat Pack, but have been unable to come up with anything to support this. A plaque on my dashboard says "no.3 Made for Sammy Davis Jr." Has anyone out there heard of any Rat Pack involvement with these cars? Thanks for your help!

Guest Paul Christ

Below is Sammy with one of the two Stutz Blackhawks that he seems to have owned. I haven't located anything regarding a Custom Cloud yet, but am still looking...

julesbhsdjr.jpg

Don't know about any rat pack connection, but one bit of trivia I do know about these cars - Rolls Royce did not get the joke. Production was stopped as a result of a law suit or threat of legal action from RR. They never bothered with the comical RR noses on VW bugs, but this was a little close to home, I guess. There is an extensive article on them in Car and Driver, from the same era as the car if you can find it. II remember reading about it as a kid around '75 or '76.

There was a guy who owned a car repair shop in my (very lower middle-class) neighborhood who bought a Custom Cloud new when I was in college, so I don't think they were very expensive. I just don't see a Stutz owner seeing much in these re-bodied Chevys. I think the first few were dispersed to celebrities as a promotion.

Still, that plaque does make this a special car (unless it's a hoax, which is doubtful). I'm glad it survived. smile.gif

The Custom Cloud was written up in Car and Driver, they called it a Monte Python Lol.

I seriously doubt Sammy Davis owned one. Anybody can have a plaque made up. This sort of legend often gets attached to expensive cars. There are many cases of owners of old cars attributing them to people who could not possibly have owned them.

Guest Linda Lippert

Hi everyone! Thanks for your replies. The papers I have do show Sammy Davis Jr. as the owner, so I think the plaque is legitimate. The story is that the auto was auctioned by IRS to satisfy some of the taxes Sammy owed. It has been fun investigating, both the history of this car and the possible existence of any sister cars. I have contacted antique auto clubs, historical societies, museums, and am in the process of trying to contact some individuals who might have been in a position to know the answers to my questions. The quest goes on...

Sammy lived a big life, but in the end he was absolutely broke. He needed surgery to remove cancer in his throat, but it would have ended his singing career, he chose to not have the operation and died witin a year. His wodow Altovise is living a very simple life in Pennsylvania now, a far cry from the LA show-biz life they had.

I got to see Sammy, Laiz Minelli and Frank Sinatra preform for a week when the Fox theatre in Detroit reopened after restoration. Could have done without Liza, Frank and Sammy were great.

Guest Linda Lippert

Altovise died earlier this year. I wish I had started my investigation sooner. Unfortuately many of the people I could have spoken with about this are no longer with us. As to the last tour, Dean Martin was to have toured, but opted out, so they called on Liza. Judy Garland had been a close friend, so the connection was logical. I think Liza sounds so much like Judy. I have been reading Sammy Davis Jr. biographies that were written after he bought the car, so I know a little of his story. By the way, I was intrigued to see the picture of Sammy with the Stutz. My understanding is that the Stutz, while more expensive than the Custom Cloud, was also a modified car. Apparently there definitely was Rat Pack involvement with the Stutz.