Almost a disaster

tbirdman

Opening the garage door today remotely from my car, the garage door was almost all the way up and the spring broke. The door slammed back down and even bent the metal door a little. I could just imagine if my Packard was under the door when that happened mad.gif I never have seen a garage door spring break. It was only 12 years old.

The repair guy says they break all the time but it's usually low to the ground when they break.

Interestingly he tried to upsell me on replacing a bunch of other parts which would have doubled the repair bill, but I got him just to replace the two springs.

One of mine broke this Spring; the door was down and I was up on a stepladder just about a foot from the spring trying to retrieve something from a shelf in the upper garage. Fortunately the Packard was in the driveway. A crack of sound like a shotgun blast, rust and dirt flying every which way, it took me a few seconds to realize that I hadn't been shot. I guess it was due, the garage dates to 1953 and all the door hardware is original.

Guest Trunk Rack

PLEASE - folks - LISTEN to Restor 32. If you have a garage door using long powerful springs serving as "counter-balancers", snake a cable thru them. Those things DO break eventually, and can KILL you !

My understanding is that new springs cannot be sold, nor can they be legally installed in any UCB jurisdiction, with-out that safety feature. However, many older doors have not been up-graded. Save a head and your car. Install a safety cable inside the spring.

The springs I have are at the top of the door opening, parallel to the door, and have a rod going through them. Hous eis 12 years old so must be one of the newer designs. No danger from the springs but danger if you are beneath the door when they break.

Guest BigKev

A "screw-drive" style garage door opener will not allow the door to fall if a spring breaks on a sectional garage door, but most chain drives will fall as they usually don't have a ratcheting action that locks the carriage in place. Just some added insurance in the future if you ever replace the opener.

Ken, it is actually an older design, but still available - my place built in 1964 has them, supporting one very big door. From experience, if one breaks the other will in a few mos - fatigue, I would guess. Smart to do the pair at once...