New Buick Weight Loss Program

special55

Well the 55 is much lighter now.

Notice the silly grin on the idiot standing under the body completely oblivious to the overwhelming task ahead of him to reassemble the beast.

As soon as I borrow a trailer I will be sending the frame and axle off to the blaster's.

Rich

post-34198-143138080286_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: special55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Notice the silly grin on the idiot standing under the body completely oblivious to the overwhelming task ahead of him to reassemble the beast.

</div></div>

Notice Rich is oblivious confused.gif to the irony of wearing a shirt that says "You ain't seen nuthin yet" in this photo. Oh, I can see some good stories coming from this restoration. laugh.gif Uh huh.

Seriously, good start. I wish you a 400 point finish!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The BIG question is. How many cases of beer does it take a couple of do it your selfers to restore an old Buick? whistle.gif Dandy Dave! </div></div>

Personally, I lost track after the first case when I was restoring my 55. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The BIG question is. How many cases of beer does it take a couple of do it your selfers to restore an old Buick? whistle.gif Dandy Dave! </div></div>

Depends. Is the beer to dull the pain of the bills paid by the owner of the restoration, or is the beer to lube up the owners friends to come over and do the harder parts of the restoration? confused.gif

Hey Ken,

I've been following your car on your other posts. My car is pretty clean with a few small pin holes forward the rear wheels on both sides. I will be cutting out to good clean metal and welding in a couple patches. Other than that it is pretty clean.

I would say you are a bit ahead of me. I was hoping to get the frame to the blaster's this week but will be sending it out next week(dog gone blaster went on a powertour. can't trust those car guys).

The body is still just as it appears in the photos. I have all the stripping to do yet.

Looks like you got a hold of a nice clean one there. I'll be whatching your progress as you move along.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: special55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Ken,

I've been following your car on your other posts.... I'll be whatching your progress as you move along.

Rich </div></div>

Hope you two don't mind but I'll be watching too. To see two of these documented side by side restorations will very interesting indeed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnD1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: special55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Ken,

I've been following your car on your other posts.... I'll be whatching your progress as you move along.

Rich </div></div>

Hope you two don't mind but I'll be watching too. To see two of these documented side by side restorations will very interesting indeed! </div></div>

I will too. It has already gotten me in the garage working on my "old" 55, and after the Nationals I will start posting my progress (or lack thereof) on my convertible (which in fairness to me, isn't as solid as Rich or Ken's cars. No race for me fellas. grin.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnD1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the words of the infamous Mr. Earl, My GAWD, 4 ongoing restorations being documented side by side! How much better can this possibly get? </div></div>

Well, for Mr. Earl, these cars are a bit too new grin.gif If they were '54s, Rita would never get him away from the forums. wink.gif

Hey Mike,

You know what would look great in that vert???

Floors!!!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Man there has to be someone coming from the Northeast heading your direction that would be willing to drag this floor section your way without charging you the price of a new car.

We just need to keep looking. Somethings bound to show up sooner or later.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't that the truth.

Although if he is interested in cars of this vintage when he is driving age I will be happy to hand over the keys.

(spare set of course whistle.gif)

Here's a little update on the progress:

Frame, rear axle, torque tube, all front suspension parts and upper and lower front valance were sent to the blaster's. They are all finished and at the painter's for some color. I couldn't buy the materials for what the painter is charging me to do the job so I decided to let him get dirty on this one.

Rich

post-34198-143138086853_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a little update

Got all the parts back from the painter except for the rad support. Seems it was misplaced and left behind at the blaster's.

All is well though. It was found and is now with the painter to be sprayed. I will post some additional pics later of the frame and axle but here are some of the parts.

In the one photo you can see the different colors. Most of the parts were painted with a POR-15 equivalent. The front suspension stuff is cast iron grey and the backing plates are sealer. I will be using the Eastwood gold cad system on those.

post-34198-143138090279_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138090282_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138090286_thumb.jpg

Here's a little update

In the one photo you can see the different colors. Most of the parts were painted with a POR-15 equivalent. The front suspension stuff is cast iron grey and the backing plates are sealer. I will be using the Eastwood gold cad system on those.

A word of caution, I've used the Eastwood gold cad stuff before, and I was disappointed. It didn't look anything like what the photos looked like. I would recommend testing it on a part you can afford to "re-do", as it is a multiple step process, and if you don't get one right, the rest just pile up on the previous....and some issues don't really show till later layers are applied.

I'd hate to see you mess it up then have to pay somebody to do work again.

Good luck, and post more pictures....

Thanks for the words of caution

I did paint a couple smaller parts prior to doing anything with the backing plates. Although not an exact match I think they came out looking close enough for a part people would have to crawl under the car to see. The trick I found was to do several mist coats as opposed to a wet coat like you would typically lay down.

It also helped to use a grey primer base as opposed to a darker color. It seemed to result in more of a "rainbow" effect as was common on the gold cad pieces.

I'll get some photos up tomorrow or Monday as I have a wedding today so no garage time.

Be back soon :D

Rich

Here are the pics guys.

One obsvervation on the Eastwood system: their base is too gold. They should try and use a base that's a bit more of a silver/gold mix.

Let me know what you think. I am interested in your opinions.

Well anyway here are the pics.

Rich

post-34198-143138091255_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138091258_thumb.jpg

post-34198-14313809126_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138091263_thumb.jpg

Edited by special55
Adding pictures (see edit history)

Thanks John,

I wasn't completely sure on the backing plate finish either until I removed those from the front. They were very clean and definately gold cad.

Do you think they would have had different finishes for the fronts and rears? I guess it could be possible as the axle may have been completely assembled and then painted over all black.

I am very certain the fronts are original and you cannot mistake that gold cad finish.

Were the fronts and rears the same color on your 56 or different front to back?

Rich

Details! Details! Details!...and the details are correct! After the axle is under the car in the dark it will look just right. I have seen many well known restorers that have painted the backing plate black. It probably will not matter either way in judging most of the time, BUT if the incorrect finish becomes the standard then in the future some judge make take off points for the correct finish.

Keep up the good work.

Willie

Just wanted to keep you all posted on the progress.

Anything look familiar Willie? I sure hope so :D

You'll also notice a little addition to my signature. I received my BCA card this weekend. Happy to be aboard. I'll have to go see if there aren't any local chapters I can offend :eek::eek:;)

Rich

post-34198-143138093432_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138093436_thumb.jpg

post-34198-14313809344_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138093444_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138093448_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a couple weeks but I didn't want you guys thinking I haven't been busy.

I would be further along but I've been experiencing some parts difficulties with the new front suspension components.

I have the Dynaflo about 60% done and then it will be on to the engine. The chassis should be back on it's wheels this Sunday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the remaining few parts fit.:rolleyes:

Here are a couple pics but I will get some more posted once I have it rolling.

Rich

post-34198-143138097966_thumb.jpg

post-34198-14313809797_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138097973_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well last week was the Woodward Dream Cruise so I spent zero time on the car. It was worth it though as we were privileged to see some of the most beautiful cars from the area as well as some very unique ones.

If you did not see my post in the overall general forum about it here is a link to a ton of pics.

http://2009woodwarddreamcruise.shutterfly.com/

Anyway we did get it back on rolling Sunday before last. Here are some updated pics.

Please feel free to critique my work to date. I would much rather find out I did something wrong or in the wrong finish now before I build it up any further. And yes I know the wooden 2x2 tierods are not stock :D

Thanks again to everyone here for all the advice and help. It is very much appreciated.

Rich

post-34198-143138102386_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138102389_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138102393_thumb.jpg

Hey GN,

The pedals, sprocket and chain are blasted but not painted and ready to bolt on yet. Once they are I'm figuring an easy 15MPH when I get this thing rolling downhill. :P

As for the body and interior I'm thinking those may adversly effect my 15MPH max speed target:D

John,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I couldn't imagine spending this much time making the car beautiful just to let it rot in the garage. I will most definately be driving it.

That assumes of course that it runs once I finish it.;)

Rich

Thank you so much for the kind words. I couldn't imagine spending this much time making the car beautiful just to let it rot in the garage. I will most definately be driving it.

That assumes of course that it runs once I finish it.;)

I can guarantee it will run when you finish it. There are enough members here to ensure it will run. And when that day happens, we want to see video of it.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Well it's been a couple months so I figured I better give an update so you all don't think I've been slacking off.

Haven't had much that I could post pictures of but I finally have a couple.

I have completely rebuilt the trans and it has a fresh coat of satin black on it.

I also have completed the rebuild of the engine and painted it last Wednesday which may be the last 60 degree day we see around here for awhile.

Waterpump was sent out for rebuild and I tackled the fuel/vacuum pump rebuild myself.

Anyway here are a couple before and after shots.

Rich

post-34198-143138124957_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138124961_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138124964_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138124967_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138124971_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138124974_thumb.jpg

post-34198-143138124977_thumb.jpg

Looks like another top quality job. Admitting that I never rebuilt an entire engine, I'm wondering what internal parts you replaced, and what, if anything , did you do about balancing the internals?

Meanwhile, it really looks nice!

Hey John,

Thanks for the kind words

Despite it's outwardly appearance the engine was very low mileage(36,000).

There wasn't even a ridge at the top of the cylinders to speak of.

After complete disassembly and cleaning I measured everything up. The crank miced perfectly to factory specs. Bores guaged out the same and not out of round at all.

So I just decided to freshen it up.

New rings, cam bearings, main bearings and rod bearings (all factory spec no oversize).

Honed the cylinders for a nice cross hatch and slammed it back together. I did double check clearances with plastigauge and all was well.

Since the intent is a nice running, driving car I did not do anything to increase the balance efficiency of the rotating mass. If I were going for something a little more high performance the crank, rods and pistons would have been sent out for balancing.

In the end it had just under 50 ftlbs. of rotating resistance with no spark plugs installed. It should be a pretty free running engine.

Rich