Future AACA Grand National Events

charlier

As we all know the following Grand National Events are already on the calendar:

2009 - Topeka, Kansas

2010 - New Bern, North Carolina

Does anyone know where the 2011 & 2012 Grand National events are scheduled to be held?

When I looked on the AACA Calendar of Events I noticed that those events were not listed under the "Open Events" in those years so a Region or Chapter must have committed to host these events.

Yes, I realize that 2011 & 2012 are a long way off for some people to even think about.

For others like myself, this is valuable information when trying to make decisions, forumulate vacation plans and most of all budget for these events. It also helps to factor this information into current and/or future car project plans.

Obviously, we must all keep in mind that events scheduled 2-3 years out might be subject to a change in location.

Still some information is better than no information.

Thanks guys for the responses regarding the 2011 Grand National.

Anyone have any information on the 2012 event to be held somewhere East of the Mississippi?

Wayne, it was nice to meet you in person & chat briefly Friday evening at the Gettysburg Meet.

Sorry I missed the DF get together Saturday afternoon.

With a car on the show field and judging I simply ran out of time. Hopefully I can make the DF gathering at Hershey.

Guest VeloMan

Forgive my ignorance, but how does a Grand National Meet differ from a meet like the one in Gettysburg last week?

Phil

Short Answer:

It is a different level of competition that happens only once per year. Sort of like Playoffs, I guess.

Here is the actual explanation from the Judging Guidelines...

D. AACA ANNUAL GRAND NATIONAL

M EETS (A.G.N.M.)

A. GENERAL INFORMATION

1. Entrants in any AACA Annual Grand

National Meet are limited

to those vehicles

that have acquired Senior

Award Winner status in any year

prior to the year of the A.G.N.M.

2. All entrants in the A.G.N.M. must display

the NATIONAL FIRST PRIZE

badge with the SENIOR TAB. Those

Senior (Duryea) winners in Meets

prior to 1979 may obtain

their “retroactive”

Senior Tabs by following the

procedure as outlined on page 47.

3. NOTE: A SENIOR award winner may

sometimes be referred to as a “SENIOR

FIRST PLACE” winner. However,

the correct terminology is “SENIOR

AWARD WINNER”.

The National Meet

awards are listed below:

a. JUNIOR: First, Second, Third

b. SENIOR* Award

c. A.G.N.M.** First, Second,

Third.

d. A.G.N.M. SENIOR***.

* To be a Senior, the vehicle must have

won a FIRST Junior Award and display

the National First Prize Winners

badge.

** To be eligible for showing in an

A.G.N.M., the vehicle

must have won

a Senior Award in any year prior to the

year of the A.G.N.M., and must correctly

display the Senior Tab with the

National First Prize Winners badge.

*** Beginning with the 1992 year, all

A.G.N.M. First Prize winners are eligible

to compete for the A.G.N.M.

SENIOR award at any subsequent

A.G.N.M. The A.G.N.M. SENIOR

award is a Senior Tab to be affixed

behind the A.G.N.M. First Prize winner

badge at some location on the

front of the vehicle. The trophy is the

largest trophy available in the AACA

series of A.G.N.M. awards and can be

viewed on page 95. Repeat A.G.N.M.

SENIOR winners will receive a pewter

plate which also can be viewed

on page 95. The A.G.N.M. SENIOR

award can be won multiple times.

A.G.N.M. SENIOR winners remain

eligible for the Preservation

award as well as national awards.

"Entrants in any AACA Annual Grand National Meet are limited to those vehicles that have acquired Senior Award Winner Status in <span style="font-weight: bold">any year prior to the year of the A.G.N.M.</span>"

The show at Gettysburg was a regular National Spring Meet where owners can enter vehicles to be awarded Junior Awards.

At all A.G.N.M. shows all classes are offered with the exception that there are no classes for HPOF or DPC.

Also the Team Captains and field judges have to be at least a Master Judge (minimum of 10 credits) or higher.

In either case, I know I won't be hauling a car to California. Colorado was rough enough.

.....Speaking of AGNM's, ever since my dad and I bought that Ford Bronco while at the AGNM in Colorado, both my wife and my mother hasn't let my dad and I go to an AGNM on our own since. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif My wife and mom even went as far as to not even letting us go to Gettysburg alone either. Ever since we bought the ladder truck, and I got caught stretching the truth, I've found myself in more trouble. I don't know why they would worry about us buying another car because our barn is full, the garage is full, and their cars have never spent a single night parked in the garage!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My wife and mom even went as far as to not even letting us go to Gettysburg alone either. Ever since we bought the ladder truck, and I got caught stretching the truth, I've found myself in more trouble.</div></div>

To those of you that haven't met ex98thdrill, you really should make the effort to do so. smile.gif

To those of you who have met him....you KNOW why he is always in trouble. blush.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

Thanks for the information about the "Western" AGNM in California.

Anyone have any information on the 2012 event to be held somewhere East of the Mississippi?

ex98thdrill, Ford Bronco & a Ladder Truck. Kinda hard to hide vehicles of that size in the back of the barn eh? smile.gifwink.gif

Charlie,

You are correct 2012 is 3 years away.

There is a process in place and procedures to follow. In short the location of the 2012 AGNM will be announced in <span style="font-style: italic">Antique Automobile </span>with plenty of time for you to make arrangements. In the interim enjoy the current meets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peter J.Heizmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charlie,

You are correct 2012 is 3 years away.

There is a process in place and procedures to follow. In short the location of the 2012 AGNM will be announced in <span style="font-style: italic">Antique Automobile </span>with plenty of time for you to make arrangements. In the interim enjoy the current meets. </div></div>

Thank you Peter.....

Looking forward to seeing the location of the 2012 Grand National Published in the January/February 2010 issue of the <span style="font-style: italic">Antique Automobile </span>.

Since the 2010 Grand National is here in the east, that will give those of us in the east enough time to make plans for both the 2010 & 2012 events.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ?????? confused.gif

</div></div>

What's this? blush.gif

You don't think anyone wants to chat with me??? grin.gifsmile.gif

You go to Minnesota for a couple days and that wet weather has affected you, right? cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ford Bronco & a Ladder Truck. Kinda hard to hide vehicles of that size in the back of the barn eh?</div></div>Yeah and to make it worse, they're both red. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

They're both housed in the shop. Sometimes the ladder sits outside if we have to put something up on the lift.

..from Hulon McCraw, Vice President of Activities!

Upcoming Grand National Meets;

2011 AGNM is in Santa Rosa, CA

2012 AGNM is in Moline , IL

2013 AGNM Dual is in Shelbyville, TN

As I mentioned earlier, all schedules are subject to change, so monitor the AACA Magazine or this web site.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne, Thanks for posting the information about upcoming Grand National events.

Your warning about these events being subject to change is noted.

Interesting how the mileage from where I live in Eastern, PA compares for AGNM events:

Topeka, KS = 1146 miles

New Bern, NC = 496 miles

Moline, IL = 863 miles

Shelbyville, TN = 808 miles

The last Grand National I attended was Kalamazoo, MI in 2007.

For me that was 631 miles each way. Compared to some of these future AGNMs (except New Bern), Kalamazoo was a "short" trip.

Hey, I realize that the AGNMs are hosted by Regions & Chapters who volunteer to do the these meets and they move around by design.

I also think that the VP of Activities has to look no further than the miles I posted as to why it is important to get the location of these meets out to AACA members so they can make educated decisions regarding AGNMs. When one has a budget for car activities and is working a full-time job that requires scheduling vacation time 6-9+ MONTHS in advance (at a minimum) this information is important to have as soon as is practically possible.

Thanks again to Hulon McCraw and yourself for this information.

Thanks Wayne, I have been out of town and off the forum. Everyone should remember that we cannot post meet locations without the board putting them in final status. Many events are only in interim status and therefore we cannot publish. West and I have to follow the rules (when we can remember the million of them)!

Guest resq302

The question is though that with Hershey being such a big event, because of the time they hold it, it will probably never be a reality since the AGNM has to be held within a certain time frame.

The rulebook used to that the AGNM was to be held in July. I haven't specifically looked at it (I really don't care), but understand that in 2006 the AGNM was in June, in 2008 the AGNM was in March, in 2009 it's in September, I really don't think it matters.

As for the Hershey Region doing an AGNM, I don't think they'd want to give up the fall meet, and with Hersheypark being open during the summer months, they don't have a lot of time where the property could be made available for an AGNM without taking away from the fall meet. Would I like to see an AGNM at Hershey?? YOU BET!! But when you get involved with hosting a national meet, it requires a lot of time and people, and if I were in their shoes, I wouldn't want to take on another task.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As if they did not already do way too much, maybe a Dual Meet at Hershey?</div></div>That would be nice, but with the Flea Market, car Corral and trailer parking, I could see that as being a logistical nightmare.

I did not say it was easy. It would essentially take the same physical space (just using the showfield and banquet facility two days instead of one) but it would certainly be a lot of work and probably take more people to pull it off as I think everybody in the Hershey Region is probably already doing about as much as they can do that week.

You have to admire them for all that they do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Miles noted Charlie, but also be aware that you were in the "backyard" of the Dover Meet a few years ago.

Plus, you're in the "front yard" of the biggest show anywhere, every year....HERSHEY! wink.gifsmile.gif

Wayne </div></div>

True, I was in the 'backyard" of the Dover Meet.

Unfortunately, I had just gotten involved with AACA back them and did not have a vehicle that was eligible for that AGNM.

So Dover was a case of right location, bad timing for me. frown.gif

Also True, that the biggest show is in my "front yard".

Unfortunately, I do not see Hershey ever taking on the task of AGNM. Fall Hershey is all that they can handle every year.

Although it would be fantastic if one year Fall Hershey was a dual meet, asking/expecting them to put on AGNM is most likely beyond their capabilities when it comes to staffing, facilities, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Wayne, I have been out of town and off the forum. Everyone should remember that we cannot post meet locations without the board putting them in final status. Many events are only in interim status and therefore we cannot publish. West and I have to follow the rules (when we can remember the million of them)! </div></div>

Steve, I sincerely can see why the AACA needs rules for things like this.

Is there a rule/guideline for the time-line when an event is put into "final status"?

IE., does the board suggest/require that AGNM be placed in "final status" X amount of months or years before the date of the event?

Hopefully that time line is about 2.5 years before the AGNM.

Giving AACA Members that amount of lead time allows them to see/plan for both the current AGMN in their area (East or West) as well as the next one in that same area.

BTW, I find it interesting that when I checked the mileages for the meets posted in this thread that the "Western" AGNM in Shelbyville, TN is actually closer to me than the "Eastern" AGMN in Moline, IL. Funny how that geography works out for me where I live.

• 2 months later...
You have to admire them for all that they do

Oh Matt, after being personally involved with putting on a national meet, you have no idea how true that statement really is. This meet for me has been, and for the next 9 months will continue to be a challenge, but it is also a great learning experience. At least now that I've stepped into those shoes, it has allowed me to see things from another perspective. If things go well next year, then I'll be the one who will help others who put on meets.