Road Wheel ID - Help

JZRIV

I'm trying to identify some wheels on a 66 Parts car I just picked up. I know they are not originals because they have a 2" center hole. a 2" hole would make them a 65 or 71 and up wheel. I need to determine which they are.

I reviewed the Road wheel ID tech Tip on the ROA website but would like to verify from another source as well. Per the tech tip Measuring down to the lug hole from a straight edge laying flat across the bead on face of wheel its about 3.5" which should be a 65 wheel.

Is there an visual way to tell the difference between 65 and 71 & up wheels or is measuring the best way? Maybe from the back side?

Or, Can someone measure their 71 & up wheel to verify the dimension from a straight edge down to the edge of lug hole. Tech tip says it should be 2-7/8"

Thanks

Jason,

65 to 70 Wheels had a locating ring on the back side that centered the wheel up on the hub. Sometimes they may have been removed to accomadate installing them on an earlier Buick, but the welds should still be visible on the back.

HTH,

Tim

I'm not so sure about the '65s having a locating ring. I believe the ring could be found in 1966. I probably have three sets of '65 wheels and none have locating rings.

I beleive that the '65 wheel is unique to '65. In addition to the 2" center hole, the painted area on the '65 wheels is smoother than on other years. . .and if the wheel hasn't been repainted black, then you'll see gray paint (although I think the judging manual calls it silver)

I had a set of road wheels without the ring on my 65. The balancing weights hit the brake backing plates. I was told that they were 71 & up wheels, so I sold them to a boattail owner. It is my understanding that the 65 wheels have the register ring.

Patrick, if your wheels don't have the weld marks from the ring being removed, they aren't 65 wheels.

I am 100% sure that my wheels are correct. Five of my wheels came off my dad's car which was purchased new by my great grand-pappy from the buick dealership where my dad worked in 1965. The wheels were removed from the car when it was totalled. When I retrieved them several years ago, they still had the gray/silver paint. Another set came from a car that I purchased from the original owner and they are identical to the set that came from my dad's car. My third set was purchased last year from another guy who pulled them from a car that he purchased from his neighbor who was the original owner.

I have a couple of other wheels with the centering ring and was about to send them out to be plated when I was stopped by my resident expert, Dick Sweeney, who told me that the wheels with the centering ring are not correct. There is also a measurent that can be taken to confirm '65 wheels. Dick and I took the measurement years ago with some of the wheels that I have and they meet the spec. My wheels are correct.

The index for articles in the Riview lists articles on "Chrome Wheel Identification" in Vol.3-#5, Vol.4-#6, Vol.7-#6. My source is the 2001 INDEX/ROSTER. I'd bet that the CD has a few more listed that are later articles than 2001.

Ed

The `64 wheels do not have the locating ring. Aside from this difference the `64 wheels are identical to the `65`s except the paint which is closer to a silver than the `65 wheels which are a darker charcoal color. It is entirely possible a `65 Buick could have been delivered to the customer with `64 wheels. The wheels could have come from dealer stock to dress up a new `65 or installed in response to a customer`s request. It is also possible initial `65 wheel production did not include the locating ring but it has been my experience the `65 wheels have the locating ring.

Dating the early wheels is relatively simple. On the back side of the spoke area there will appear a stamped letter with a number within. The number is the year of production.

There are only two offsets on the wheels, deep and shallow.If the nose of the wheel protrudes beyond the edge of the rim the offset is shallow. If the nose is recessed compared to the edge of the rim the offset is deep.

The `64-`65 wheels have a 2 inch center hole and the `66-`70 wheels have a 2 and 1/8th center hole.

Although the `66 thru `70 wheels have the deeper offset and the 2 and 1/8th center there was a change in the wheels approximately `67 1/2 to accomodate the new disc brakes. This change in the contour on the backside of the wheel also changed the appearance of the wheel in the lugnut area.However Buick made things easy for us by stamping an "X" in the nose of the `66-`67 1/2 wheels.

So, if I see a wheel with a deep offset and a 2 inch center hole it must be a `64-`65 wheel.

A wheel with a deep offset, a 2 and 1/8th center hole and an X stamped in the nose s a `66-`67 1/2 wheel. Without the x and the wheel is a `67 1/2 thru `70 wheel.

A wheel with a shallow offset must be a `71 and up wheel.

Also, when Buick made the change to the disc brake wheel they changed the size of the valve stem to the smaller variety but this is sometimes hard to pick off in pics.

Clear as mud, right? Jason, post a pic and we`ll identify your wheels.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Tom,

That is the best explanation I have seen on identifying these wheels. That would be great info to add to the existing tip already posted opn the ROA website.

Additionally, Darwin offered a very simple way to identify 71 and up wheels. Lay them face down on the floor, if the center cone touches, its a 71 and up. Of course the result can be obtained by using a stright edge across the edge of bead.

Interesting about the "X". I didn't know that was only on the 66 and early 67 wheels.

I have determined the wheels on this parts car are 64 or early 65 because there is no center ring nor evidence of spot welds. Removed 2 of the wheels to try and find a date code but could not see any perhaps dues to some rust on the backside. They have a 2" hole and deeper offset.

Thank You

Thanks Tom, I was beginning to second guess the wheels on my car. None of my wheels have the locating ring, but all have the deep offset, 2 inch hole and silver/charcoal centers. I’m not clear on your description of the date code. You described a number within a letter. Should I look for a two digit or single digit number? Can this be found on the backside of the wheel (where it mates to the brake drum) or on the circumference (i.e., “inside the tire”)?

Hi Guys,

Jason, placing the wheels face down is simply another way to determine offset although not very easy when the wheels are installed on a potential purchase! After looking at the wheels for a while one can "eyeball" the offset pretty easily.

Patrick, the markings are on the back side of the "spoke" area. One will see a letter, say "C", and within that letter will be a number, say "5". This means the wheel was made in the 3rd month of `65. Sometimes the stamp is rather shallow and is not readily apparent. But some work with a wire brush on any wheel but the most deeply pitted snow belt variety will bring out the stamping.

Tom Mooney

• 3 weeks later...
Guest garys64wildcat

I have an article on IDing all buick rally wheel from 64 on from the Buick Bugle in 2002. If you want a copy, I have it in a pdf file. Just email me and i would forward a copy to you. I never knew there was so many different wheels. It also covers the 14" skylark all the codes and pt #`s.

Gary

gandcman@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, I am looking at a set of wheels.... .. the wheels I am looking at meet this criteria.

15x6x5"

center cap 2"

back space 3 7/8"

wheel hub diameter 3"

Rim Code 895

I think they are 5th generation wheels (71-85)

Will they fit/work on my 1965 Riv?

Thanks!

1st Gen. Rivs have a 5"x5 bolt circle and are rear wheel drive; 71 - 78 have the same. 79-85 have a 4.75"X5 bolt circle and are front wheel drive; they have the FWD offset and those wheels won't work on your '65. The 71-78 wheels will bolt on, but they too have a little different offset. Search the archives for a detailed description of Buick rally wheels.

Guest garys64wildcat

I have had a set of 67 to 69 wheels on my Cat with the register ring and I`m sure early Riv`s have the same hub as the cat and I put a 3/16 spacer to make them work. I foud a set set of 64 wheels w/caps to replace them with. But 1 needs a rechrome or all to make them match.