2009 AACA Annual Meeting-Philly!

R W Burgess

Hi folks!

This year's annual meeting is history. For your information I have posted a Philly category in the picture gallery for those of you that brought pictures home from the meeting. I have pictures that I will post myself after I catch up with being away from home since early last Thursday morning.

We had an exciting time this year with a lot of first time members attending. The two "Dress Up" dinners that Mike and I attended had excellent food this year. I didn't hear many complaints about the hotel this year, although the mystery elevator was a blast to ride on, as it skipped floors, stopped at floors opening on empty hallways, or even the stops without opening doors. Most riders even enjoyed it. I managed to even get one elevator group to sing koom-bah-yaa with me! eek.gifsmile.gif

Hey! This was early in the evening too, I might add! grin.gif

I'll tell you, to see the look on non-AACA members riding the elevators with us was worth it all. A special note to John Rickets....Mike will be sure to keep dear old Dad on the straight and narrow the rest of 2009!

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....although the mystery elevator was a blast to ride on, as it skipped floors, stopped at floors opening on empty hallways, or even the stops without opening doors. eek.gifsmile.gif </div></div>

We had one like that one day at the phone company. A bunch of us got on in the basement, where the cafeteria is, and pushed all but the button for the 5th floor. One whole end of the 5th floor was the executive offices. The elevator stopped on one and in got the company president. It never stopped again until the 5th floor to let him out. He should have seen our faces when the doors shut behind him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey! This was early in the evening too, I might add! grin.gif </div></div>

What's the name of that song??? Oh yeah, now I remember!! <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">It's 5 O'clock Somewhere.</span></span> wink.gifcool.gif

UM.... I seemed to have missed that excitement! No problems with the elevators although after the banquet on Saturday, we had a full car but Peter G felt there was room for one more, so he joined us. Up one floor and unpack to let Peter H out, repack. up a couple more floors, unpack to let a couple out, repack, up some more floors, unpack and let a group out. The poor lady in the back survived but I'm not so sure about the flowers she had. Now there are only a few of us with plenty of room execpt where I was. Peter G felt it needed to be crowded there.

Another enjoyable Annual Meeting. I was, however, a slight bit disappointed in the Seminar offerings. Seemed heavily weighted toward region activities and publications with less "how to" than prior years. I know the Seminars are basically a volunteer effort but I always enjoyed the "do it yourself" presentations. Son and I are thinking about maybe developing such a seminar ourselves.

Jeff, we certainly could use some more seminar contributors/moderators.

I was asked to help with the Trailer/Towing seminar this year, the first that I know of. Looks like I'll be helping again next year.

There's a possibility of having some seminars at AACA Meets sometime in the future, too. Volunteers are welcome at any time. It's really hard to cover everything in Philly in two days and still have the General Meeting and the Museum/Library Auction included in those two days.

In the back of my mind, I'm thinking that the 75th Anniversary Meet in Louisville in 2010 will be a "must attend" meet. There's a lot of new ideas coming up now about new Meet and Tour activities. Stay tuned........

Wayne

A great weekend indeed!!! Hats off and congrats to Mike Jones and the team for putting together such a well orchestrated event. It's like Hershey, old friends together again. Watch for another great seminar next year - The History of the MG and the demise of the British car industry.

Terry

I too enjoyed the annual meet. The biggest problem I have is that I want to do two or three seminars that are at the same time. Has any thought ever be given to recording some of them? I guess the seminars will just have to be scheduled for me so there are no conflicts, except that everyone else would want the same thing.

Good job at the annual meet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait! I said we were THINKING about it.....</div></div> That is the same volunteering! wink.gif

Seriously, hope you'll do it. There are so many members out there that even though they don't think they have anything to offer, carry a wealth of information with them.

I hate to use Ron Barnett as an example but he is still on people's mind's. How many of us know anything about I believe it was Keller automobiles that he had. A seminar at Philly would help to spread at least some of that knowledge to others. He's gone and unfortunately a not of that knowledge too. I'm sure his wife knows some of it, just not sure how much when it comes to the nuts and bolts. Knowing her though,it would surprise me if she knows that stuff too.

If everyone did one class on their car we might need to expand Philly to a three day event!!

I've thought about the idea of recording them. What would be nice would be to have some video cameras, record them, there would have to be some editting invovled and post the majority of them online. For example the officer training is something all region/chapter officers should go to but out of 600 regions how many do? There were 1,020 people there this weekend, so at 600 regions and chapters, that wouldn't even cover all the Pres, and VPs.

See the new software thread in the question forum, David.

Among other things, new features include:

<span style="color: #990000"> <span style="font-weight: bold">

--Dramatically better search tools

--Individual Blogs

--Spam protection

--Better/faster photo support

--<span style="text-decoration: underline">Video support</span>

... and the list goes on. </span> </span>

May I mention that in the Publications Seminar, we had members asking for a C/D or tape of the resources we used in the seminar. Judy Edwards and myself were thinking of a slide show that could be put up on the Editor's Site. I think PeterG's new programing will allow us to explore some new ideas in promotional avenues.

Wayne

+

+

+

Guest windjamer

Wayne I have a 5th. wheel hitch that I picked up out of the road. Its small and I think its made to slide into something like a class 3 under car rec. that might have been mounted in the back of a p/u trk. Its heavy,maby a hundred lbs.,tag on it says its rated for 35000 lbs.I could bring it to Gettysburg or Hershey if you can use it in a class. Its FREE!!!!

We all think alike on this. Had lots of requests for copies of the Officer's training disc. The proposed web site upgrade will provide some additional capability to add some on-line stuff you can review any time. We will also be getting CDs burned ahead of time to take home from Philly. Don't have all the details worked out yet but we are anxious to make sure this great info is available to a much wider audience over a longer time span than just the week of our Annual Meeting. Of course we want you to keep coming to Philly because there is nothing like seeing it in person. Often the questions and discussion with the audience is just as informative as the seminar itself. Getting that much knowledge, experience and wisdom in one place is awesome. We may also be hosting some of our seminars on-the-road in the coming year at some of our meets.

Terry

New software will have calendar features:

Calendar Features

* Supports multiple private and public calendars

* Viewable public and private events (adminCP option)

* Weekly, monthly and yearly views

* Jump to Today option

* Add single, ranged or recurring events

* Add all day events

* Option to show calendar event on forum home page (adminCP option)

* Show events to specific usergroups (adminCP option)

* Calendar Moderation

* Private events reminder

* Ability to add custom fields

The one thing I was thinking of though is if you video it, it would include the questions and answers that people raise during the simnar. That's something that would be missed with simply having the powerpoint program. The other way is someone needs to write it down or audio tape it then write afterwards and then that be included in the online info. Sometimes there are very good bits of info brought up that were not actually in the program.

Like they say David, you can't beat being there.

We had two interesting questions come up at the Publications Seminar this year. One was from an Editor that still used Word as his major programming for Publishing. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's tough putting graphics within a word file.

The other question was about the Editor's Manual and why the Manual suggested not publicizing your region's bank balances. I had to explain that it was easy for some criminal type person to become Treasurer and run off with your cash, if they realized how wealthy a particular club is.

Just a couple pointers.

Wayne

Guest windjamer

Wayne the hitch head is about the same size as the seat on a round bar stool. If your not goin to put a trl. towing class togather this year I could bring it to Hershey the first day of flea mkt. Thats if you can use it. Just let me know.