Tape Decks

Guest SwiftBuicks

Guest SwiftBuicks

Thanks for the replies. I found that instructional about how to replace a belt. I took the deck apart, checked the belt and then put it back together again. There are worn parts, the belt probably is slipping and needs replacement, and I snapped a tab on the cover trying to put it back. This was not an enjoyable job for me. I would rather pay to have it fixed than continue doing this kind of work myself. I was told by the rep for the company that was selling one on E-bay recently that parts are hard to find. That would make it even harder for me to DI myself. delcoreairs.com doesn't work as an URL. The p in repairs was missing. I sent M&L an e-mail and will look for a reply.

Guest SwiftBuicks

Well, I recieved a fast reply from John at Precision Radio (www.DelcoRepairs.com) which stated that he can fix my Tape Deck. I'm sending it to him on Monday. I'll keep posting the progressive of this exchange on this thread. (What a well designed forum this is. All you have to do is type an URL and it is imbedded in the message as a clickable URL. I've never encountered such an easy way to cross link in a forum. (Basically, the commercial one's are always trying to keep you on their URL.)

Guest SwiftBuicks

Too much. I have a Toyota 4-runner which I bought with a defunct cd player. It's not worth a replacement. It was a factor that aided in the sale, though. smile.gif The tapes work better in autos, but the CD player always seems a better feature. Now, I'm on to the cruise circuitry as I didn't restore the control with a new servo.

Seems that both casettes and CDs have gone the way of the 8-track and are being replaced by MP3 which can be added for under $100.

The only problem is the lack of indexability - when you have 900 songs on a single SD chip you need a way to select just one or create a playlist.

Right now I am using individual 1GB cards for each artist but even that is not a good answer.

Speaking of CDs, mine has started acting up: will play 6 or 8 songs then eject. If re-inserted it ejects sooner and eventually will not even get through one song. Anyone know what is causing this ?

I bought the cheapie mp3 player, a Phillips 1 gig. The software allows you to choose albums, playlists, or all songs plus shuffle. I use it for audio books; one disc being one album, and it's easy to sort through the content.

Well...easy, but it had a pretty shallow learning curve for me, since nothing ever comes with instructions, and I won't waste the time fiddling with it as the children do.

Guest daveagain909

I GOT A QUOTE FROM DELCORAEPAIRS.COM AS FOLLOWS:

1.- the cassette repair should run about $ 65.00 plus shipping.

2. the CD repair will run about $ 200.00 plus shipping ( with a one year warranty on theCD mech).

We do not have any exchanges for units that old.

THIS IS WHAT i ASKED:

I have two 1990 reatta's that need the sound systems repaired.

1. the cassette player has a cassette stuck in it, the volume switch does not always work and when playing with the volume controls the radio may lose all volume. I then have to shut shut the radio off and play with the cassette switch to get the radio to work, (again this one has the cassete stuck in it)

2. The other car has the factory slave CD player with a CD stuck in it with no control of the CD at all, This radio works fine and sounds good. I have never tried the cassette part (afraid to get a cassete stuck in it like the other car radio)

Guest SwiftBuicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems that both casettes and CDs have gone the way of the 8-track and are being replaced by MP3 which can be added for under $100.

</div></div> Ya, but if you are going retro with a Reatta or same period Riv, you have to keep the tape casette deck at all costs. Throw in bootlegged Dylan or Grateful Dead concerts along with Big Band/Sinatra stuff and you have one hell-of-a-car. whistle.gif

If going retro, you need a 45 player and a Sportable. Soon an AM radio will be retro.

What I need is an in-dash PC to play the MP-3 so I can select the playlist on-the-go plus a satellite dish to receive the 723 audio channels DN has, next world-wide wi-fi access to bring a whole new meaning to telecommuting (latencies in satellite broadband kill you).

And about then, the usb/vga jack in the back of your neck will become an outpatient procedure away.

Guest SwiftBuicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the usb/vga jack in the back of your neck will become an outpatient procedure away. </div></div> Along with the UPC Barcode tatoed on your forehead or left hand. Back to the original topic, I saw this tape deck again up for buy-it-now sale.

I called these people after the last auction which ended in a buy. The guy told me he didn't have any more. I guess they found one in the warehouse.

I contacted DelcoRepairs, and they gave me a quote of $75 plus shipping to repair my tape-deck. I shipped it to them last Saturday. Today (Thursday) they called and said it was done. They replaced the belt(s) and a broken reverse switch mechanism. Total charge $80 with shipping. The guy also said <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> to try to use it with one of those cassette-to-CD converters that plug into the player because it won't fit. So after I pull the radio module to replace it I'll tackle the auxiliary plug-in issue and see if I can do it that way. Daniel, be ready for some questions!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a cassette adapter in an 88-89, where does the wire go ? </div></div>

My cassette door has enough free play to let the wire feed out through one of the top corners. Can't remember if Left or Right side works best. Also, the wire into my adapter is flat, think some may be round..... Jim

Guest SwiftBuicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gr8scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I contacted DelcoRepairs, and they gave me a quote of $75 plus shipping to repair my tape-deck. I shipped it to them last Saturday. Today (Thursday) they called and said it was done. They replaced the belt(s) and a broken reverse switch mechanism. Total charge $80 with shipping. </div></div> Funny, I was going to post the exact same message. John Henshaw, the man behind Precision Radio, called me the other day and told me that my deck was fixed, charge $72.50 with shipping included. Since I paid roughly $10 bucks to send it to him, the total cost has been $82.50. He said it was on it's way!!! Futhermore, after reading the replies on this board, I'm thinking about adding a MP3 device to my Toyota 4-runner when I return to New England.

Guest SwiftBuicks

Well, the rebuilt tape deck arrived in record delivery time. I installed it in my Riv. It works like it was new. The sound is terrific. However, the CRT does not show an equalizer button.

Received mine back from DelcoRepairs as well. Extremely fast turn around. This guy is not only good, but as honest as you can expect to find dealing with over the phone/E-mail....It's in and playing, but with the same horrible snap-crackle and pop noise as before, but that's the radio's fault... I found one on eBay for $30, and it's on the way.