duPont automobiles

Guest gt350shelb

It is my guess that most existing duPonts are actually owned by DuPont family members. I photographed one of them at the AACA Grand National in Dover, but I lost (or accidentally deleted) a whole memory card worth of photos from that day and it was one of the vehicles that disappeared into thin air.

Hi,

Funny that you ask.

Stan Smith, 111 Linden Hall Road, Boalsburg, PA 16827. (814) 466-6087, stan@meyersmith.com has just published a book on duPont automobiles. The Eight Cylinder duPont. 115 pages. ISBN 978-0-615-25419-7.

I believe that the first printing is sold out, but I know that he plans to issue a new edition with added photos.

His folks owned a 1929 Speedster, #G-905. The car still exists.

I have a photo of the car taken at my place in 1963.

I am working on the 75th anniversary web site for the AACA. There have been several duPont cars shown at past AACA meets. To see the cars exhibited -

1. Go to the AACA 75th Picasa web albums. I currently have 107 albums of pictures taken from AACA meets and tours. These pictures all appeared in some issue of the <span style="font-style: italic">Antique Automobile.</span>

2. Go to the search box at the top right side of the page. Type in "duPont AACA."

3. You will get 4 results.

1931 DuPont-1958 Hershey

1928 DuPont Dual Cowl Phaeton-1965 Hershey

1929 duPont-1971 Hershey

1930 duPont at AACA Museum (some one else posted this picture)

You can also go to the AACA 75th web site and by going to the section marked Timeline can read the review and see the list of winners from those meets as it was reported in the <span style="font-style: italic">Antique Automobile</span>

Hope that helps!

Guest gt350shelb

I know of a a bunch just wondering if there were any in private hands , that I don't know about . I have about 30 listed as surviving . including many of the duPont family cars . I know Stan Smith will see him next week . Thanks for your input would love to see any pictures new more so the old one of these cars. currently restoring one looking for reference photos .

Thanks

Phil

Guest Indianfour

Indiana Region Classic Car Club of America: In the mid-sixties, Mrs. Gladys Gehrt owned and displayed a Dupont Speedster at the Grand Classic held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Later on, this car was driven on the Indiana--Kentucky "Blue-Grass" Classic car caravan and was driven by a very good friend and Classic Car owner, Jim Silvey who is now deceased. Those were the days!!!

This was a high-point car, very desirable and attracted attention every where it appeared. What an automobile!!!