1952 Buick Skylark

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I have a couple of photographs from Buick Motor Division Research Photo Section of the 1952 Buick Skylark prototype.I have never heard or seen much about this car. I found the following by Googleing but it doesn't go into very much detail.

1952-54 Skylark

Does anyone know any more about this car? I'm sure it was probably done away with. Boy wouldn't this be a barn find.

100_6360.jpg

post-32987-143138007912_thumb.jpg

post-32987-143138007966_thumb.jpg

As a barn find this would be priceless. Which causes me to wonder if it wouldn't be just a bit more fun to reconstruct one today? One that had say, a 401 with fuel injection and a 4 speed and open driveline? Maybe a set of bucket seats, and a modern electrical system that could support an A/C and decent sound system?

Hmmnn, Now where can one lay their hands on a 52 Super convertible that's ruined enough to convert and solid enough to stay converted? (I sense a membership in the Modified Division coming along.)

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear John:

Tough part first.The car Nickles started with was a 1952 Roadmater 76C. Try finding one in any condition!!

Easy part next: The actual car has been crushed, so a barn find isn't going to happen.

Fun part next: A BCA member that I know bought all the custom made parts (which were stripped from the car before it was crushed) and the sideview drawings about 30 years ago with the intention of re-creating the car. i won't for privacy reasons name him/her, but I HAVE seen the actual parts themselves.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave: What's this fellow waiting for? What a great car that would be!

However, in my version I would look for a Super on purpose. If I understand correctly, the difference in the two models is in the front end, with the Roadmaster being a bit longer. Since I currently only have enough resources to pursue this project in my dreams, I think the car would look better with the shorter front end.

Guest imported_MrEarl

BTW I've decided to let someone else enjoy these photos for awhile. The last one I saw sell, sold for double what my reserve is. In this case, I consider the value of the piece not to be what someone is willing to pay but rather what it will take to buy it from me. sorta the same as winebottle, half full or half empty...... crazy.gif

'52 Skylark photos on ebay

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnD1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave: What's this fellow waiting for? What a great car that would be!

</div></div>

Boy ain't that the truth. So if the gentleman/lady has had the parts for 30 years and hasn't started building it yet, I'd say rather sadly, there's a pretty good chance he won't be around to see it finished. But hey, I can appreciate "dreams". I have a backyard full of them. smirk.gif

Dave, what did the custom made parts consist of or what I'm wondering is what were the differences between this and a factory job. The grille looks to be the same.

Guest David_Temple

This is an interesting thread. How can anyone be certain the 1952 Skylark prototype was destroyed? I have no information on the fate of the car at all. Since there was a 1952 Eldorado prototype as well as the 1952 Skylark prototype I am left wondering if GM built a 1952 Fiesta prototype, too. If so it seems to have been forgotten. Does anyone know if one was built?

• 2 years later...

I recently picked up a '52 super convertible which needs total restoration. Would never modify it as my late beloved uncle had one just like it. Great childhood memories of him driving us to the beach in it!! in.QUOTE=imported_JohnD1956;590698]As a barn find this would be priceless. Which causes me to wonder if it wouldn't be just a bit more fun to reconstruct one today? One that had say, a 401 with fuel injection and a 4 speed and open driveline? Maybe a set of bucket seats, and a modern electrical system that could support an A/C and decent sound system?

Hmmnn, Now where can one lay their hands on a 52 Super convertible that's ruined enough to convert and solid enough to stay converted? (I sense a membership in the Modified Division coming along.)

Guest DaveCorbin

At least two Buicks that expressed similiar ideas to the 1952 Skylark do exist today. The oldest is, of course, the Y-Job from 1938. It's probably the most famous individual Buick of them all.

The other is the Blackhawk, which was built in about 1999, and is also well-known. One of our members on this thread shared the idea of a modernized drivetrain. The Blackhawk is equipped with a 455 Buick crate motor, set up with the then latest engine technology at about 580 HP. I can tell you from a ride in it in 2000 that it WILL pin you in the seat!

I noted in a previous post that I had seen the body drawings many years ago. The basic change that is obvious, but doesn't show, was an about 3 inch section job to the entire car. The wheel openings were also redone, but they're pretty obvious. The starting point was a 1952 76C. It was a Ned Nickles private job, but it captured eveybody's attention, especially Harley Earls.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 5 months later...
Guest jackmccord

This car is a prototype. It is going to be for sale at the Mecum auto auction next Saturday (21st) in Indianapolis. This is televised on HD channel.

Jack

Jack, you may be confusing the Skylarks here. There are three Skylarks on the auction block at Mecum this Saturday. 2 53 true Skylarks and this custom '54 job.

1954 Buick Skylark Custom Automatic for sale by Mecum Auction

Interesting but not my cup of tea:)

THANKS for bringing this old thread up though. Since this thread, I think I recall reading that the 52 SL was involved in an accident and was totaled just a few years after it came out. :(

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest jackmccord

You're right - I checked the Mecum website and there is a 53 Skylark that was shown as a preview for the Sat program.

Jack

• 10 years later...

It has been 11 years since anyone replied to this topic. I grew up in a family that mainly had Buicks. These are personal photographs from when I was a little boy, to the two tone Grey 2Dr Sedanette Buick model 76SI had for 39 years. The last photograph I took last April of my Brothers 1948 Buick model 71 he bought in 1960 in Marlboro, NY out of a junkyard for $40.00. I replaced seals at the rear of the Dynaflow transmission. My. Brother owns this Buick for 62 years. I drove the heck out of it before I left Florida last April.  There was even a 1953 Buick Skylark in the family until a nephew rolled it over several times and crushed it with a bulldozer!  I was sick!

3D54AF83-51DB-44D8-AE97-AB86B63E21A0.jpeg

70135FAF-D392-40D3-9321-0A1A2C70D6EF.jpeg

CC982821-764E-4956-BB2E-64502F562582.jpeg

B651FA4E-2316-4AB5-9A2D-27B39B57861F.jpeg

4B1B9620-ECF1-4560-B7B7-08011F802950.jpeg

7C3DA4D6-008A-4ACD-9C50-0C4F87F3783A.jpeg

08715D8C-62E9-4A05-A3E0-81642E5318EA.jpeg

31098AC8-B913-41E2-8154-C2771B349416.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is also the.Brother‘s Buick when him and I over hauled the engine in 2018. My Brother put rod and main bearings in that engine in 1971, and they are still there doing their job!  At an idle at operating temperature the oil pressure is 17 psi going down the road it’s never less than 30 psi

17440A7F-3D5E-4A98-8D56-50D0AF1A57E7.jpeg

E12F625B-9229-4655-B35E-98405C5FFA12.jpeg

AB7F2175-BB40-422D-9DAD-F8BFFDA334BF.jpeg

• Like 3

You are very welcome Bob. I’m glad and very surprised anyone even replied to my post. 
That 52 Buick Skylark would have been a real sought after Buick, being the last year for the 320 Straight Eight with 170 HP. Maybe it would have had the 322 V8 in it. I actually drove the 53 Skylark we had once, the guy my Brother bought it from put a 3 speed transmission in it. But my heart belonged to the Dynaflow in a Skylark. 

• Like 1

It would have been nice to see retirednow’s 52, 56C. I wonder if it’s still around?  Another Brother had a 51 model 46R Riviera Dynaflow, it was a powder blue with a white roof.  I was with him when he bought it. He paid $50.00 for it in 1958 or 59. I was very young 5 or 6 years old. We made many trips in that Buick Special to Upstate NY from the Bronx 150 miles each way. Too bad I don’t have a physical photograph of that Buick, but I have a vivid photograph of it in my head. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anthony C said:

It would have been nice to see retirednow’s 52, 56C. I wonder if it’s still around?  Another Brother had a 51 model 46R Riviera Dynaflow, it was a powder blue with a white roof.  I was with him when he bought it. He paid $50.00 for it in 1958 or 59. I was very young 5 or 6 years old. We made many trips in that Buick Special to Upstate NY from the Bronx 150 miles each way. Too bad I don’t have a physical photograph of that Buick, but I have a vivid photograph of it in my head. 

I sold the ‘56C 6 years ago. The floors and trunk pan were completely gone. The guy I sold it to had a ‘52 Super 2 dr Hdtp with a ‘52 Caddy rear clip. He wanted to make it a convertible and needed the top hardware and possibly the frame. He was also looking to put a roadmaster nose on it

• Like 1

Very nice hearing from you.
Back in 1975, I met a gentleman that just bought a 1952 Buick Roadmaster sedan from the original owner. That Buick had 48,000 miles on it. He took me for a ride, and even let me drive it!  It rode very different than the 48. The suspension was a little stiffer, the shocks were exactly the same. The springs were stiffer but had a very good smooth ride at the same time.  Whatever Buick changed in the suspension, was in the right direction. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Y-JobFan said:

Old thread, but the 52 Skylark prototype was not stripped and crushed when they were done using it, it did meet a crushing death though 489CC0C3-0841-4A3E-AED8-E4F3CA361DC2_4_5005_c.jpeg.99e9fd90dc8d7769dcc7520f9b14f5f0.jpeg

348DCE39-6D8D-4144-899B-29F2416B8F44_4_5005_c.jpeg

Oh man!  Now this is depressing!  

On 5/14/2022 at 8:30 PM, retirednow said:

I sold the ‘56C 6 years ago. The floors and trunk pan were completely gone. The guy I sold it to had a ‘52 Super 2 dr Hdtp with a ‘52 Caddy rear clip. He wanted to make it a convertible and needed the top hardware and possibly the frame. He was also looking to put a roadmaster nose on it

Not to sidetrack from the original post but oddly enough, I sold a complete 52 Roadmaster front end to a guy in NY. Just confirmed with @retirednow that it was the same guy that bought his car! Crazy but small world! 

• Like 1

Nice 53 rag top GG. The 53 Super in my post was a freak! It would smoke the rear tire so bad that he had to let off because there was too much smoke we couldn't see, and did it in Drive, not Low.  It was fast for a 53 Buick with a Dynaflow transmission. Can you post any photographs of your 53?

Edited by Anthony C
corrections (see edit history)