What MPG Should a '49 Roadmaster Produce?

SBRMD

1949 Sedanet: 36k actual, new WWW radials, complete tune-up w/ all parts replaced, carb rebuilt w/ kit from Bob's. Runs oh-so-sweetly, like a Buick should. Handling city traffic and highway speed w/ absolutley no problem.

Mixed use MPG: ~9.7 MPG!!!

OUCH!

Any insights from the learned?

Thanks in advance,

Steve in Mpls.

Don't know but I feel your pain, had a 72 Centurion on a good day mixed travel 10 MPG. But gas was way cheaper then and it had a 455. Thats a lot of car but I would think she'd get better than that. Ya sure the trans isn't slipping or clutch worn. I know it shouldn't be at 36,000, but ya never know.

Only other thing I thought of is to make sure your choke is not staying on too long. Any black residue on the exhause or black smoke means its too rich.

I don't know - 10 to 12 mpg sounds right. It's big and heavy with a slushbox of an automatic that wastes gas/ineffiecent.

As a general topic, this would be great for all Buick owners from the 30's to the 80's because I don't remember a comprehensive survey of real world gas mileage for old cars.

They always say gas was so cheap back then but incomes were lower, etc - so nobody wanted to spend a lot filling up the tank. But there seemed little push to increase fuel efficiency until the 1970's.

I only checked my mileage one time when we first got the 1946 Super, it was doing over 18mpg. That was mixed highway and city. We are going to a show in the south ski area in a couple of weeks, I am going to fill it up and check it again.

Results to follow.

Stevo

I'm using 100% gasoline, no alcohol.

Good suggestion about the timing advance, I don't think we dealt with that when we put in the tune-up stuff. I'm exposing my ignorance, here, but how does the advance come in on the '49? Not near the car right now; I'm not visualizing a vaccuum-advance unit...

Joe, you've told this before, but I don't remember: which years/models will donate 3.4 gears for the torque-tube rear? My current gears are 4.1:1, std for Roadmaster w/ Dynaflow in '49. Wonder what the change would mean for increased mileage vs. lost off-the-line performance (which is already pretty stately) in a Dynaflow car (I assume your '40 is a stick).

Thanks again in advance (no timing pun intended),

Steve.

Steve

The 53-55 V8 dynaflow Buicks have 3.4-3.6 ratios. You may have to change the drive shaft and torque tube and use the one from your car, as some are longer than others. This is a simple swap as they did not change anything , even the side gear splines from 40- to 55

I also installed a 263 (1953) in my 40 and it keeps up with traffic quite well.

I should have edited my original post. I remembered that the 56 used common tube shocks while prior cars used the knee action shock absorbers. Not insurmountable. I guess the question is will the carrier and gear sets fit into a 55 rear axle?