1935 Dodge Faux Wood Grain

mattg

The guys at Grain-It Technologies would know. www.woodgraining.com or call 863-299-4494. They sell the Do-It Yourself Kits and have a real passion for retaining the art of woodgraining like it was originally done. They were very helpful on identifying the original wood plates used on my 38 Dodge and explaining how the original technique was accomplished. I think they have information on all cars that were printed woodgrain (i.e. base coat, ink color, print plates, etc.). I did my woodgraining myself using one of their kits and was very pleased with the results. With a little practice , it is easy to get excellent results.

Thom

CP,

Most of the woodgrain is Curly Maple. That includes the dash and all of the window trim. The only thing different on the 38's were the center of the instrument cluster and the glove box door. Both of those were a Carp Elm Burl. Then the center of the glove box door had a fancy oblong grain change that had Straight Grain running in all directions revolving around a center circle of Carp Elm Burl. That was quite challenging to accomplish but it was easy once you used the sand paper & magnet technique that Grain-It Technologies teaches. I don't remember the base coat that was recommended, but it was a light brown/yellow color. The suggested ink was Light Brown Walnut.

If I can figure out the picture posting I will post some pictures of my work. I will try to email you through this forum some pictures.

Guest 28SeniorSix

gundog99 - The dash on my 2249 does have a wood grain. It is in poor condition and difficult to see the full pattern. It might be a black walnut faux wood grain. I cannot determine if the instrument panel under the glass has a wood grain also. It does however, in the lower center of the instrument panel, have a stencil of a ribbon tied in a bow with a cluster of three bells below the ribbon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reg Evans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see those photos of your 38 dash. My 38 coupe is in dire need of a dash restoration.

email regoevans@sbcglobal.net

Thanks, Reg

I'll see if I can post them here for all to see. </div></div>

Hey Thom, Your 38 dash is beautiful. The glove box door must have been especially difficult. Very nice work !

Thanks for sending the photos.

Here they are for others to see

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/olddodges1/38%20D8%20coupe%20CLYDE/Thoms38dash1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/olddodges1/38%20D8%20coupe%20CLYDE/Thoms38dash2.jpg

Per the original post, the grain on a 35 is a walnut, mostly straight, but with some character to it. Base color is a deep red. I could get a mixing ratio for the base but it would be in old ppg codes, I have not done one in modern paint yet. The guy applying it has to do some odd little bends on the edges to make it totally right, going by the one original I've seen... they might not all be that way.

Guest 28SeniorSix

gundog99 - Here are pictures of a portion of my dash and the instrument panel. As you can tell, my car is not yet restored.

On another subject, you sent me pages from you Senior Parts list a couple weeks ago. Could you resend page 106? There were two 105 pages and no 106 page in the files you sent. Thank you.

post-54549-14313797775_thumb.jpg

post-54549-143137977753_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sometimes original woodgrain can be brought back by careful and thorough cleaning, a light sanding of the top clear coat, and re-applying more clear coat.

Note SOMETIMES! I have seen some amazing results!

David D.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DDewey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes original woodgrain can be brought back by careful and thorough cleaning, a light sanding of the top clear coat, and re-applying more clear coat.

Note SOMETIMES! I have seen some amazing results!

David D. </div></div>

Yes, I'm in the process of doing just that to my 35 DU sedan. So far I have done the glove box door and the ash tray. I used hot soapy water and 0000 steel wool. They came back to life and look great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/olddodges1/Nessie%20and%20cousins/My35Dodgedash.jpg

Reg,

Wow, that's what I was talking about. IMHO, it look like the rest of your dash may come out as great. Don't go overboard on the cleaning, sometimes the finish's bond to the metal isn't great, but a new coat of clear really helps there too.

David Dewey