When Is It Time To Sell?

Chacheska

I was talking to a 86 year old family member yesterday and happened to mention I was going to look at a car over the weekend to possibly purchase (my 9th). The response I got was, "Why are you looking to buy another car? You're 53. People buy and enjoy their things until they reach 50. After that they start to sell what they own. You shouldn't be looking at buying another car, you should be starting to sell what you have". I was taken aback by that statement since I don't have any reason to feel I need to sell my cars just because I'm now 53 years old. Barring any unforseen illness do any of you have a chronological plan as to when it will be time to sell your assets? This question is geared (pun intended) to cars but could apply to any assets. I thought 50 was the new 40 these days.

I just talked to a 92 year old man this past weekend that sold his 1940 Buick last week because he couldn't drive it any more. That's more to my way of thinking. You drive your cars until you can't drive them. After that you can still have someone else drive you in your own car and still enjoy it! I know that as we age we have less of a desire to crawl under our cars or do the heavy lifting that's sometimes involved with maintaining them but I just can't see selling them. I'm sure the younger members don't think about this but If this doesn't apply to you personally maybe you know of other people who have chronological plans to sell their cars or other assets at a particular age or have already done so. I'm thinking those of us that collect old cars have brains that are wired a bit differently than those who don't so I'm guessing most of you will not have any set plans as to what age you start selling.

The fact I started an earlier topic on willing our cars after we die makes me realize that a lot of people already have plans to do just that so it may not be as important or thought provoking to think about when to start selling off your assets. The simple fact that the statement was put forth to me makes me wonder how many people think that way. I do know other people who have parred down what they own at some point in order to simplify their lives.

I'll pass any of the replies I get along to my 'seasoned senior' relative to hopefully give them a different perspective on when it's time to sell.

I was talking to a 86 year old family member yesterday and happened to mention I was going to look at a car over the weekend to possibly purchase (my 9th). The response I got was, "Why are you looking to buy another car? You're 53. People buy and enjoy their things until they reach 50. After that they start to sell what they own. You shouldn't be looking at buying another car, you should be starting to sell what you have". I was taken aback by that statement since I don't have any reason to feel I need to sell my cars just because I'm now 53 years old. Barring any unforseen illness do any of you have a chronological plan as to when it will be time to sell your assets? This question is geared (pun intended) to cars but could apply to any assets. I thought 50 was the new 40 these days.

I just talked to a 92 year old man this past weekend that sold his 1940 Buick last week because he couldn't drive it any more. That's more to my way of thinking. You drive your cars until you can't drive them. After that you can still have someone else drive you in your own car and still enjoy it! I know that as we age we have less of a desire to crawl under our cars or do the heavy lifting that's sometimes involved with maintaining them but I just can't see selling them. I'm sure the younger members don't think about this but If this doesn't apply to you personally maybe you know of other people who have chronological plans to sell their cars or other assets at a particular age or have already done so. I'm thinking those of us that collect old cars have brains that are wired a bit differently than those who don't so I'm guessing most of you will not have any set plans as to what age you start selling.

The fact I started an earlier topic on willing our cars after we die makes me realize that a lot of people already have plans to do just that so it may not be as important or thought provoking to think about when to start selling off your assets. The simple fact that the statement was put forth to me makes me wonder how many people think that way. I do know other people who have parred down what they own at some point in order to simplify their lives.

I'll pass any of the replies I get along to my 'seasoned senior' relative to hopefully give them a different perspective on when it's time to sell.

I think it depends on what you get out of your cars.

If a 90 year old guy likes to trailer his cars to shows and can afford to pay for somebody to maintain them, he should keep and enjoy his cars and let a family member or (better yet) a qualified agent sell his cars after his death.

If the same guy enjoys touring with his cars and can no longer drive, he should sell them, or give or loan them to family members who will take him on tours or explore other areas of the hobby as above.

I plan to drive mine as long as I can....

I think it depends on what you get out of your cars.

If a 90 year old guy likes to trailer his cars to shows and can afford to pay for somebody to maintain them, he should keep and enjoy his cars and let a family member or (better yet) a qualified agent sell his cars after his death.

If the same guy enjoys touring with his cars and can no longer drive, he should sell them, or give or loan them to family members who will take him on tours or explore other areas of the hobby as above.

I plan to drive mine as long as I can....

53 is hardly old these days. You could only be halfway there!

They're going to have to pry my swollen, rotting corpse out of the car. Unless I find myself living in a refrigerator box somewhere, there's no reason to sell my cars. Maybe when I can't drive them any longer, but even then I think I would like having them around.

On the other hand, what do you call it when someone dies penniless? Good planning. laugh.gif

53 is hardly old these days. You could only be halfway there!

They're going to have to pry my swollen, rotting corpse out of the car. Unless I find myself living in a refrigerator box somewhere, there's no reason to sell my cars. Maybe when I can't drive them any longer, but even then I think I would like having them around.

On the other hand, what do you call it when someone dies penniless? Good planning. laugh.gif

I have bought and sold all kinds of cars, tractors, one lung farm engines and bulldozers I have even donated an old Hanson power shovel to an organization that took me a lot of hours to make run again. I give things up when I tire of them and then buy something else to play with. One lung engines are too heavy to move so it did not take long to get tired of them. Out of about 30, I have three left. Of course, then I brought home a 1940 Caterpillar Model 12 road Grader that is all apart at the moment because of a cracked differential case. It only weighs in at 22,000 LBS. What a disease. crazy.gif

I guess it is time to sell when you cannot do it anymore, or get tired of what you have and want to do something else. It is a personal decision. You are only as young as you feel! If you can drive your tour car to 90 years or beyond, God Bless You. Enjoy it. smile.gif Dave!

I have bought and sold all kinds of cars, tractors, one lung farm engines and bulldozers I have even donated an old Hanson power shovel to an organization that took me a lot of hours to make run again. I give things up when I tire of them and then buy something else to play with. One lung engines are too heavy to move so it did not take long to get tired of them. Out of about 30, I have three left. Of course, then I brought home a 1940 Caterpillar Model 12 road Grader that is all apart at the moment because of a cracked differential case. It only weighs in at 22,000 LBS. What a disease. crazy.gif

I guess it is time to sell when you cannot do it anymore, or get tired of what you have and want to do something else. It is a personal decision. You are only as young as you feel! If you can drive your tour car to 90 years or beyond, God Bless You. Enjoy it. smile.gif Dave!

People who are organized and have plans are sick and I avoid them. I sell vehicles when I need money, or I'm just tired of them, most restorations are sold before any electrical work is needed, why risk a fire. For me finding the vehicles stripping them selling the parts and scrapping the rest is the fun part.

People who are organized and have plans are sick and I avoid them. I sell vehicles when I need money, or I'm just tired of them, most restorations are sold before any electrical work is needed, why risk a fire. For me finding the vehicles stripping them selling the parts and scrapping the rest is the fun part.

I am currently talking to a friends father about buying one of his cars because he can no longer drive it. He does not necessarily want to sell - his wife does and his kids want him to sell. He acknowledges that he can no longer work or care for the car and is somewhat happy to see it go to someone that will take care of it like he did. Its not about money for him.

We will see what happens.

I am currently talking to a friends father about buying one of his cars because he can no longer drive it. He does not necessarily want to sell - his wife does and his kids want him to sell. He acknowledges that he can no longer work or care for the car and is somewhat happy to see it go to someone that will take care of it like he did. Its not about money for him.

We will see what happens.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People who are organized and have plans are sick and I avoid them. I sell vehicles when I need money, or I'm just tired of them, most restorations are sold before any electrical work is needed, why risk a fire. For me finding the vehicles stripping them selling the parts and scrapping the rest is the fun part.

</div></div>

Now that's my kind of "plan". Hope to meet you some day sir. Hell, I just started buying most of my cars when I was 53.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People who are organized and have plans are sick and I avoid them. I sell vehicles when I need money, or I'm just tired of them, most restorations are sold before any electrical work is needed, why risk a fire. For me finding the vehicles stripping them selling the parts and scrapping the rest is the fun part.

</div></div>

Now that's my kind of "plan". Hope to meet you some day sir. Hell, I just started buying most of my cars when I was 53.

Glad to hear people don't have a 'schedule' of when to buy and when to sell based on age. I thought that was a bizarre comment. I'm with you, Mr. Earl. I still have room in the warehouse for a couple more cars and a couple of bucks left in the wallet so I'm going to do my best to fill those spots. I'm a little concerned about why Matt's corpse will be swollen, though. Rotting? Sure but what's with the swelling?

Thanks to all for bolstering my belief that I'm not nearly old enough to think about selling yet. My dad was already dead at my age so I figure I'm already ahead of the game, genetically speaking.

Ciao for now!

Glad to hear people don't have a 'schedule' of when to buy and when to sell based on age. I thought that was a bizarre comment. I'm with you, Mr. Earl. I still have room in the warehouse for a couple more cars and a couple of bucks left in the wallet so I'm going to do my best to fill those spots. I'm a little concerned about why Matt's corpse will be swollen, though. Rotting? Sure but what's with the swelling?

Thanks to all for bolstering my belief that I'm not nearly old enough to think about selling yet. My dad was already dead at my age so I figure I'm already ahead of the game, genetically speaking.

Ciao for now!

Guest 1926pack

Well, if planning is your thing and you buy into this age thing (I don't), let's do the math. 60 is the new 40. Making 75 the new 50. So keep buying and enjoying until your almost 80 and then think of maybe culling the herd. Or maybe not.

Guest 1926pack

Well, if planning is your thing and you buy into this age thing (I don't), let's do the math. 60 is the new 40. Making 75 the new 50. So keep buying and enjoying until your almost 80 and then think of maybe culling the herd. Or maybe not.

Guest AntarcticDave

Maybe sell the coupe at 80, buy a classic limo, and hire a driver. Might as well show up in style. :-)

Dave

Guest AntarcticDave

Maybe sell the coupe at 80, buy a classic limo, and hire a driver. Might as well show up in style. :-)

Dave

Hmmmm, thought provoking I'll say. I guess it is all about desire. I will be selling two cars that I have had a very long time. My husband and I purchased and restored these two vehicles. As a family we had a great time do the car thing for many years. My husband passed away and I kept the cars. They were such a part of my life and the life of my girls that it was a way for us to keep that part of our life with their Father with us.

He and I agreed that they were an investment in our family and in our future. My girls are all grown and I have remarried. My current husband has been a dear about helping me with the cars...and their upkeep...but it is time to put the investment to work for my girls. Both would like to buy homes and if you are a buyer, there is no time like the present....so, there you go. Could I keep these cars garaged and enjoy them in the spring, summer and fall sun? Most definately! But, it's not just all about me. I am 57 and I feel like the new 40! I enjoy life, my granddaughter, riding quads, driving a tractor and a bobcat working on my 15 acre ranch! Life has been good, guess it is time to turn another page in my book. Did I say I also have a rotrod? As a family, we continue to enjoy this vehicle....but I think there is room in the garage for a retored Buick!! I love the regal cars from the 30's they are so glamorous...think I lived another life back then and was recycled for improvements! Ha!

Do what your heart tells you!

Hmmmm, thought provoking I'll say. I guess it is all about desire. I will be selling two cars that I have had a very long time. My husband and I purchased and restored these two vehicles. As a family we had a great time do the car thing for many years. My husband passed away and I kept the cars. They were such a part of my life and the life of my girls that it was a way for us to keep that part of our life with their Father with us.

He and I agreed that they were an investment in our family and in our future. My girls are all grown and I have remarried. My current husband has been a dear about helping me with the cars...and their upkeep...but it is time to put the investment to work for my girls. Both would like to buy homes and if you are a buyer, there is no time like the present....so, there you go. Could I keep these cars garaged and enjoy them in the spring, summer and fall sun? Most definately! But, it's not just all about me. I am 57 and I feel like the new 40! I enjoy life, my granddaughter, riding quads, driving a tractor and a bobcat working on my 15 acre ranch! Life has been good, guess it is time to turn another page in my book. Did I say I also have a rotrod? As a family, we continue to enjoy this vehicle....but I think there is room in the garage for a retored Buick!! I love the regal cars from the 30's they are so glamorous...think I lived another life back then and was recycled for improvements! Ha!

Do what your heart tells you!

Chacheska, remember your relative is looking at things from another era, and probably means no harm. Some of my relatives have no problem expressing their feelings on "how things should be done" - my smile, nod and mental dismissal processes are now perfect. He is from the depression era and probably cannot understand what you are doing anyway if he is not a collector, right?

That said, two very quick shorts about a couple if interesting older gents in the hobby.

We have a club member who is now, I believe 86, drives his "A" sportcoupe (had since I believe 1947) on occasion but more often than not has some help. He has a handicap from polio as a child, and, oh yes, he swims in an open water race annually to raise money for charity. To train for that he swims three times a week or more. These activities have kept him young and independent for years. He does most of the maintenance on this car himself, but is finally getting help here and there. For him it is not a burden but another activity to keep active.

I also spent a couple hours talking with a fellow at a show in the CT area who had a really nice '36 Ford roadster. In his mid-eighties, he is driving this car by himself and goes to many shows. Shared stories about how he worked at a big restoration shop but had long since retired. The stories some of these guys tell make the time go by like nothing. He "hopped up" the engine in the roadster so he could keep up with traffic on our congested Merritt Parkway here in CT. He mentioned a few times how he loves staying active, and keeping right up with the new cars in the left lane! So I think for some, it is a great activity. I hope to be that active at that age.

One of my favorite cartoon captions, from one of the national magazines, picture an old man on his death bed:

"Agnes, my only regret is that when I was younger I did not buy more crap" grin.gif