small 'shock absorber' engine bay

Guest squiretom

Guest Squire Tom

i noticed a small wet spot on the garage floor. when looking from the pass side of the engine compartment , i cans see a small shock absorber cylinder in front of the engine pulleys close to the balancer. it is leaking. is the part available and how hard is it to replace. also what function does it perform.

Guest Squire Tom

1. facing engine pulley side

2. just left of a/c compressor

3. in front of balancer and pulleys

4. about 6 inches tall

5. maybe two inches in diameter ,sure looks like a mini shock absorber. it appears that this may be an unbolt and replace , because of the shaft coming from the shock and extending through an engine mount.

what are the oil filled bags that are referred to in the link

posted as the first reply to my question ?

thanx

tom

Guest imported_REATAMANZ

My My This little shock will be hard to find in the future. the last two times GM requested service on these type parts.I had the pleasure of trying to get the supplier to produce. Last order was for 1500 in 2006- Soon GM will place final orders if they if fact want more.

Barney I believe I have a print of this part if you would like. The little suckers were produced by ZF Boge in their plant in Mexico. You can bet I am going to try to get one or two before we close the Mount plantthis year here in Dayton. By the way I buy these suckers for $15 bucks or so.

Guest imported_REATAMANZ

My My This little shock will be hard to find in the future. the last two times GM requested service on these type parts.I had the pleasure of trying to get the supplier to produce. Last order was for 1500 in 2006- Soon GM will place final orders if they if fact want more.

Barney I believe I have a print of this part if you would like. The little suckers were produced by ZF Boge in their plant in Mexico. You can bet I am going to try to get one or two before we close the Mount plantthis year here in Dayton. By the way I buy these suckers for $15 bucks or so.

If there is a need, I can build an online store for Reatta only parts like accumulators or anything else. I could accept payment via PayPal, Credit cards or checks in the mail. Then the person who actually has the parts could dropship to the customers address. It could work like a consignment shop. I would only ask a very small fee or percentage for my effort.

If anyone is interested maybe we should start another thread about it.

If there is a need, I can build an online store for Reatta only parts like accumulators or anything else. I could accept payment via PayPal, Credit cards or checks in the mail. Then the person who actually has the parts could dropship to the customers address. It could work like a consignment shop. I would only ask a very small fee or percentage for my effort.

If anyone is interested maybe we should start another thread about it.

I am wondering about the efficacy of stockpiling accumulators. They are charged with nitrogen from the top. The brake fluid under pressure from the bottom against a thick rubber bladder compresses the nitrogen. Failure is almost always the rubber bladder, which is about the only moving part. I am no chemist, so I can only ask if there is some effect on this bladder from long term contact with nitrogen and brake fuild. If so, putting one away for 7 years may turn out to be false ecnonomy.

I am wondering about the efficacy of stockpiling accumulators. They are charged with nitrogen from the top. The brake fluid under pressure from the bottom against a thick rubber bladder compresses the nitrogen. Failure is almost always the rubber bladder, which is about the only moving part. I am no chemist, so I can only ask if there is some effect on this bladder from long term contact with nitrogen and brake fuild. If so, putting one away for 7 years may turn out to be false ecnonomy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAVES89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't you post an order site[Like Ronnie's site]? We can go there an order if we want. You can set up pay pal or accept checks. For $15.00 I'll take one as well.

Could you do the same for accumulators? </div></div>You would be more than welcome to use the "Reatta parts for sale" section of my website to list any parts like this if you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAVES89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't you post an order site[Like Ronnie's site]? We can go there an order if we want. You can set up pay pal or accept checks. For $15.00 I'll take one as well.

Could you do the same for accumulators? </div></div>You would be more than welcome to use the "Reatta parts for sale" section of my website to list any parts like this if you want.

Guest imported_blazer1997

Does anyone have a old GM part Number??

What is this shock called?

1.Harmonic engine shock?

2. Torque strut dampener?

Thanks

Oooh,

I need to get a replacement for my 91. So far, I had struck out with all the normal parts sources. If there is a group buy or some such plan in the works, please count me in for at least 1, if the price is right probably 3 or 4 for future use. I may end up with another Reatta at some point, as this car seems to create the desire to own multiples so I am trying to plan ahead.

I will watch this thread for updates!

KDirk

Guest imported_REATAMANZ

OK guys there is no group buy- If GM orders any more of these little shocks I will not know until mid year. If by chance there are any available I will do my best to get all I can get my hands on. Do not count on it as this sucker is a pain in the brain to get for GM.

With Delphi closing plants I have been able to get my hands on a few parts. Brake Linings, The last Air Condition Compresser, two sets of Ball Joints and Bushings. And last week the last two rears shocks made in 2002.

All we can ask is that if you do hit the mother lode, keep us in mind. One can only hope that the GM gurus realize that unlike compressors, pads, ball joints and bushings, this strut, being unique to this model, is unavailable aftermarket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nic walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is Barney's input on this discussion? </div></div>

Barney is busy in his laboratory figuring out how to rebuild these units. He will be able to supply these along with his "Barneycranks", antennas, visor clips, dash mats, and whatever else. I heard that he is also working on replacement windshields that will sell for $100 or so. Hopefully, he will have all replacement parts covered soon.