Demountable rim for 23-6-45

Guest Australian 1923

Guest Australian 1923

Can anyone help with a good demountable rim for my 1923 Australian Buick. The actual rim size is 24" x 3 1/2". I believe the part number is 150865. The one I have seems to have been a larger diameter and a chunk has been cut out then badly rewelded.

Thanks

I have a bunch of rims but I am not sure what they are from. Any way you could post a photo so that the design and driving lug can be seen. Also, do you know who manufactured the rim. Baker? Firestone? Good Year? Dave!

Dave,

Buick used only Jaxon rims from at least 1918 to the 30's, the name Jaxon is usually stamped on the inside, but most of the time the rim is rusty so it would be hard the read the name.

Mark,

1924-45 used a Jaxon #23 24" the same rim that the 23 uses. The pic you posted is of a Jaxon #23.

I have a catalog from Oakcrest Machine shop.

John B

22-6-55 Sport Touring

I'm sitting here laughing. OK howling.

The wheel rim Mark Shaw has shown is on loan from yours truly. Perhaps I should say the Heil Collection.

Mark bought his 1924 Model 45 (that was converted to a truck) on his way to the Rochester, Minn National Meet sight unseen. Mark made it ready for the After Tour with numerous repairs while on the show field and successfully completed the After Tour.

I purchased the nicest 24" used rim I have ever seen at the swap meet area. Excited, I rolled it across the show field to where I was parked next to Mr. Shaw to show him my find.

Noting Mr. Shaw had a new spare tire/tube/flap but alas, no spare rim (he mounted 4 tires/tubes/flaps as part of his show field repairs removing tires that were installed when Coolidge was in office all while dozens watched). I could only do the Buick gentlemanly thing and lend him my new purchase. (My own spare rim is beat but good as many were in the day).

I have since seen my spare in many photos, and now the subject of a forum chat . . . . some day I may even see it 'live'!

If you all only knew how well I sleep knowing my good friend has a spare wheel should he ever need it while touring in the great Northwest! I also have the knowledge that my passengers for this years After Tour in Fenton (The Shaws) will do a splendid job should my 1923 require a tire change on the tour! grin.gif

Hey Mark, He has an Australian car, but it resides in Merry Old England. I have to dig the rims out. Looks like it is going to snow here, may be a few days. I hope I have two and can help you both.

Also, I have been hearing from Bud Rex lately. He has been talking to my good old longtime friend Louie Iaccino also about his clutch problem. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

• 1 year later...
Guest Roger_Roy
Can anyone help with a good demountable rim for my 1923 Australian Buick. Thanks

how'd you go? Im off to look at a '23 tomorrow and will be dragging it home at a later date, if it has a usable rim Ill try and get a photo

Roger

my neighbor and i got the tire off...his 1921"t" tires dismount just like a bicycle...mine don't...there is a special tool for the buick rim i guess...which i need perhaps to get the tire back on the rim...what does it look like?? can i buy one from my neighborhood buick dealer?:rolleyes: thanks!!!

Here is my 2 cents worth.

1923 model 45 takes a 32 x 4 rim and 1924 model 47 take a 32 x 4 1/2 rim per the 2005 BCA judging manuel and my 1935 Kelsey-Hayes wheel catalogue.

It is possible to put a 32 x 4 1/2 tire on a 32 x 4 rim and visa versa.

Double the smaller number and subtract it from the large number to get the rim size 32 x 4 is [32 - (4 + 4) = 24]. 32 x 4.5 is [32 - (4.5 + 4.5) = 23 inch] rim

The 24 inches or 23 inches is the outside diameter of the rim where the tire bead touches the flat outside part of the rim, not the overall diameter of the rim.

The overall diameter of the rim is usually around 1 1/2 inches greater than the rim size. It can vary.

The width of the rim when you measure across the rim at the widest part is usually around 3 1/2 inches on the small series cars and 4 1/2 inches on the larger series cars. This does not always apply. There can be exceptions.

A quick way to get the rim size is measure the inside diameter of the rim, add 1/2 inch and round up the the next inch.

Here is my 2 cents worth.

1923 model 45 takes a 32 x 4 rim and 1924 model 47 take a 32 x 4 1/2 rim per the 2005 BCA judging manuel and my 1935 Kelsey-Hayes wheel catalogue.

It is possible to put a 32 x 4 1/2 tire on a 32 x 4 rim and visa versa.

Double the smaller number and subtract it from the large number to get the rim size 32 x 4 is [32 - (4 + 4) = 24]. 32 x 4.5 is [32 - (4.5 + 4.5) = 23 inch] rim

The 24 inches or 23 inches is the outside diameter of the rim where the tire bead touches the flat outside part of the rim, not the overall diameter of the rim.

The overall diameter of the rim is usually around 1 1/2 inches greater than the rim size. It can vary.

The width of the rim when you measure across the rim at the widest part is usually around 3 1/2 inches on the small series cars and 4 1/2 inches on the larger series cars. This does not always apply. There can be exceptions.

A quick way to get the rim size is measure the inside diameter of the rim, add 1/2 inch and round up the the next inch.