1989 Buick Lesabre 2 door -HELP!

MarkV

Guest ZondaC12

All I know is I'd take one. Especially a T-Type MMMMMMM local BCA chapter director's son has an 89 black t-type. Thats a MEAN lookin car. I love it.

http://www.lesabret.com/

Maybe theres some info there in the direction youre looking for even though its focused on T's. That guy is on there I forget his screenname.

Good luck!

I drive a 1989 Buick LeSabre Limited 2-door coupe every day! My Ruby Red beauty was delivered new to my parents during the summer of 1989. My father passed the car along to me in 1998, following my mother's death. At the time I received it, the car had 60,000 miles. It now has 182,000 and climbing.

This car is supremely comfortable and absolutely reliable, requiring very little in terms of repairs. The 3800 V6 gives this car excellent fuel economy for a car of its size, routinely delivering over 30-mpg on the highway.

I am always amazed by the number of 1986 - 1991 LeSabres (and similar Park Avenues) still on the road. Within the last month, I pulled up to a traffic signal in Tacoma, and there were three of us waiting for the green light in late-1980's LeSabres!

By 1989, the LeSabre coupes are getting fairly rare. If you want a REALLY rare one, try to find a 1991 LeSabre coupe. Look up the production numbers for the '91s and you will be shocked--only a few hundred made!

The T-types are nice looking cars, but contrary to popular belief, they have exactly the same drive train as the garden variety LeSabre 4-door sedan of the same year. I had a 1989 T-type in the mid-1990s, but was disappointed in it. It broke down at 90,000 miles with some type of distributor or coil problem, I was unable to work on it or diagnose engine problems because of all the electronics, and even though I drove it very conservatively and it was in great physical condition, I could never get better than 24 or 25 miles per gallon with it on long trips at 60 mph, so when a neighbor asked one day if I wanted to sell it, I was quite willing to do so. Since then, I've vowed to stay away from any Buick newer than 1981 (electronics), and with the uninspired, unimaginative cars that Buick has been putting out since the early 1990s, that's been pretty easy to do. But if I ever run across a '91 LeSabre coupe, I might have to give up my vow.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, TX

As noted above, the 2 dr LeSabres were about 3-6% of the LeSabre production.

I owned 2 different T-types and loved the car. Pete is correct that the drive train was the same except the T-type had a 2.97 final drive compared to the other LeSabres 2.84 final drive.

My Brother has one, it's parked now, with over 260K as well as a friend of mine, also for sale, both are T-types. IMO these were some of the best cars ever made, sorry Pete, you had troubles with yours. Chris worked at plant 36 when these engines were made, so he knew alot about keeping them running. The 4-doors are just a good. And I know what you mean about a '91, I've seen just a couple of 2-doors and had to do some research to see how rare they were!

Hey Roberta, any chance of asking Chris to get in touch with us? Dougs 89 Lesabre T has been having a problem which I think I know the diagnosis for but, if I'm right, then it is a very expensive fix. I'd like to e mail with him to see what he thinks of the symptoms.

And for the record, if you can find one in good physical shape, I bet you would not be disappointed to have one. But, look at the A pillar door jamb and the area around the door striker pins. Both these area seem prone to rust. Another area is the inner fender wells especially under the aircleaner.

The door pin area is repaired fairly easily. I don't know about the A pillar. I am lead to believe the inner fender wells are even still available and look relatively easy to repair, although I never did one.

Other areas of concern are:

Gas tank leak at the filler neck, Fuel line deterioration and disintegration and powersteering line cooler rust through.

The tank comes out easily. Don't be fooled. Buy a new gas pump and pick up ( the bracket the pump mounts to in the tank). These parts are available at NAPA.

The fuel lines will have to be hand bent. The local dealer sold the 3'8th line but it was straight. There is one 90 degree turn back at the tank that is a bear to make. We crimped the first line, so we tried again. It seemed we could not make that turn without crimping the line. Close inspection of the original line revealed that they were similarly crimped from the factory.

Meanwhile I can attest to the gas milage claims above even with the 2.97 ratio in the T type. Doug drove from Albany NY to Flint Mi in 2003 on less than a tank full of gas. Meanwhile the 56 took 2 fill ups and was thirsty when we pulled into Flint. At that time Dougs car had over 186K on the original motor.

Good Luck

JD

Quiet, comfortable, roomy, and economical to operate . . . plus the expected Buick luxury orientation of that era.

The T-Types got suspension calibration upgrades (and tires on alloy wheels) for a more performance feel, but used the same powertrain (only one available, other than emissions specs for particular areas) as other LeSabres.

The T-Type with bucket seats and console made a sporty ride . . . then and now. The crimson red looks good on those cars, too, but some like them in black for the "GN" blood line tie-in.

Be prepared for "seat belts in the door", which might take some getting used to.

At the time, it seems that the ones built in Flint had a little better assembly quality and fit/finish . . . which might not be a really big issue at this time.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

The one that I am looking at is my Uncle's and it looks like the one in RSSmith's post, except it is a 1989 and it is White with a red leather interior (which is immaculate!) and AM/FM Cassete, the everything works perfectly and it is fully loaded with all the options, it runs perfectly (I am going to take it for a test drive next week) and it has like 60,000 on it or so, it looks great (2 footer) but, will need paint in a couple years, it needs the heater fixed but, thats it, he works for our local Chevy/Buick dealer and he got the car back in 2006 (when he sold the Mark V to me for $500!) and it was a trade in from an old lady (no kidding!) who was 90 and she bought a new Buick and my Uncle bought the '89 from her because they would not trade it in because of the age, anyway, my Uncle wants to get rid of it now, because he wants to get an Avalanche. So, he wants $2000 for it and my dad wants to use it, because it will be good on gas. So, tell me what you think!

Guest Shaffer

I cannot even recall the last time I saw a 2dr 86-91 LeSabre or a 2dr Delta 88 of the same vintage for that matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Phillips</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By 1989, the LeSabre coupes are getting fairly rare. If you want a REALLY rare one, try to find a 1991 LeSabre coupe. Look up the production numbers for the '91s and you will be shocked--only a few hundred made!

</div></div>

Guest my3buicks

I have known several family members and friends that have had cars with this engine/drivetrain and similar year, seems the low 20's around town and high 20's and even into the low 30's on the highway is the normal range

From 1948 lincoln:

Wow! Thats not bad! anyone else have any experience with these?

I had a 1991 LeSabre custom, bought it new, and just traded it in last year. They do deliver great gas mileage assuming that you keep it in tune, maintain the wheel alignment, tires etc, all the normal things you ought to do anyway. I had several long summer drives in mine, and 32 - 34 MPG on a tank on the highway is fairly common. That is at a steady 70 MPH. This is one car that really likes to eat up the miles! That, plus the nice ride and plenty of room made it a nice car to own for all of those 16 years. Locally, in suburban Chicago rush hour driving, 20mpg and up was normal, When it dropped below that, I knew it was time for a tune-up! Considering that mine had to suffer Winter time salt attacks, it held up very well.

The 89's and 90's LeSabres were tops in initial quality on the JD power list if I recall, and the '91 is essentially unchanged from the prior years. I don't know if any other domestic cars has ever had a repeat on the top of that list ever since. Considering it's many nice attributes, I really can't understand why GM & Buick never made any noise about it in any advertising. The imports certainly would have!

Barney, these Limo Buick T-types have been very interesting to me, the Funeral Home in Catskill, NY had one and I rode in it at my Grandfather's funeral in 1991, I think, I thought I had a picture, but looked tonight, and it's not in my albums, so must be in the loose pictures, I haven't filed yet. It seems very possible, a few years ago the same Limo was up for auction in the Youngstown/Cleveland area for around $3800 as it was stated from a funeral home in Catskill, NY, I never followed up on it, as had no place to put it. Have no idea where it went or if it was sold or junked. I'll continue to look for picture though! It was way cool, with sport steering wheel, sport wheels, mirrors was like a longated t-type.

If properly cared for, and the car is from a non-salt area, they are fairly bullet-proof.

A few things to keep in mind. Avoid the Teves ABS system used up through the 1990 models. The system isn't standard, but you can easily spot the cars that have it.

If you are looking at a car with 100K or more miles, keep an eye on the engine temp. Some of the radiators tend to clog up.

Good luck.

• 4 months later...