First power windows

LINC400

One option I can't live without is power windows. I've heard that Packard had the first power windows, and I've seen a new Chrysler ad claiming that they had the first power windows. Now, I've run across a 1942 Packard for sale with power windows (stock, not custom). I don't think I've seen anything earlier than that with them. My thought is maybe Packard had the first hydraulic power windows and maybe Chrysler the first electric? So who holds the claim? Chrysler, Packard, or somebody else entirely?

"Power windows, known as hydro-electric windows, were introduced this year and were first offered as optional equipment on the Crown Imperials."

From "1941 Chrysler Imperial Specifications and Equipment"

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1941/specs.htm

First electric power windows, 1951 Chryslers.

Not sure if these were the first ever but if you want a prewar car with power windows you now have a choice of Packard or Chrysler.

I actually spent about an hour trying to find out when Caddy introduced power windows. First mention I could find was 1949 or 1950. This didn't seem right but I couldn't find any earlier.

Don't know about Lincoln either but the 1940 Continental sounds right,I think I saw that somewhere before.

I was at pains to point out that those 2 (Packard and Chrysler) may not be the first ever by any make. They were just the first I could pin down.

If you really can't live without power windows why not buy a 50s car? They are a much better car than any made previously. In fact a typical American luxury car of the late 50s or 60s is surprisingly competent even by today's standards. Especially if you add a few modern touches like radial tires and disc brakes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty_OToole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually spent about an hour trying to find out when Caddy introduced power windows. First mention I could find was 1949 or 1950. This didn't seem right but I couldn't find any earlier.

Don't know about Lincoln either but the 1940 Continental sounds right,I think I saw that somewhere before.

I was at pains to point out that those 2 (Packard and Chrysler) may not be the first ever by any make. They were just the first I could pin down.

If you really can't live without power windows why not buy a 50s car? They are a much better car than any made previously. In fact a typical American luxury car of the late 50s or 60s is surprisingly competent even by today's standards. Especially if you add a few modern touches like radial tires and disc brakes. </div></div>

Exactly my point. I cannot find anything that states who had the first production use of them. I have seen the 1942 Packard for sale with them, but Packard may have had them earlier. I can't find any info on it. Chrysler seems to have them documented for 1941 according to the earlier post. Perhaps Lincoln did have them in 1940, but I have seen nothing to prove that. However they were powered, I am just curious to know which was the first to use a button instead of a crank.

Actually I am looking for a 1956 Packard 400.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1948Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 1940 Lincoln Continental had Hydraulic windows (if that counts?) </div></div>

Lincoln Continental did NOT start using a power switch until 1942.

In addition, the system was vacuum only. They did not start using the electric hydraulic until 1946.

Packard first started using electric hydraulic on the 180 series in 1941, for side windows and division windows, but not vent windows.

• 5 years later...
Guest Baron von Zach

The first electrically operated power windows were available on the 1946 Daimler DE 27 and DE 36.

All previously available ones were either vacuum, hydraulically, or hydro-electrically operated.

Guest Baron von Zach

My response was to the claim that electric power windows were a Chrysler first, which isn't the case.

Regarding the question who first made power windows available in serial production, the answer is Packard and nowt else.

Packard offered them on the 1940 model year 180 series and Ford followed next, offering them on the 1941 model year Lincolns in late 1940, but only on the Specials, and even in that series only on the limousines and seven passenger sedans.

We're talking series production only here, since power windows were available earlier on some coachbuilt cars.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Guest Baron von Zach

Two possibilities:

- They were either available on the 1940 models

or

- James Ward's book 'The Fall of the Packard Motor Car Company' states it incorrectly on page 42, (and probably consequently) so does Richard M. Langworth's article in Collectible Automobile.

Packard Data Book 1941

"Automatic Window Controls - A new refinement and luxury note has been added in the Super-8 One-Eighty models in the new automatic window controls. No longer is it necessary to crank windows up and down..."

The Data Book was copyright September 1940.

The 1941 Lincoln Custom 168h 31 sedan had hydraulic power windows and power front seat, operated by a large pump the size of a starter located under the drivers seat floorboard...with a additional controls n the dash..the limo with division glass. 168h-32 had manual front seat but power divider. The cylinders were. About 3 inch wide with a separate control solenoid down line at each unit. Ck you tube 1941 ford Lincoln promo pretty cool stuff. The 40 Continental had vacuum top, crank glass...41 Had manual glass, electric top and wipers.. 42 vacuum glass, top I vacuum I believe..post war top and glass all modern hydraulic.

look at this

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

We have a Member in the Durant Motors Automobile Club who has a 1925 Flint E-55 sedan that has spring loaded "power" windows. At least they are power going up.

The 1928 Mercedes-Benz 630k Saoutchik body open touring car had mechanical power windows that are possibly using a spring mechanism as well. You can see it in action in this video starting about minute mark 12:15.