Studebaker straight 9

Rusty_OToole

As a collector, and enthusiast, of Studebakers for the last 33 years I have never heard of an experimental straight nine cylinder Studebaker engine. Although, I am not an expert and this is not to say that the Studebaker engineering department did not experiment with a nine-cylinder engine. I am wondering if the reference could have original been to the introduction of the nine main bearing engine on the President models in 1931. The first Studebaker President straight eight engines in 1928 were five main bearings, upgraded to nine in 1931.

That's a good suggestion. It would be a plausible way for a rumor to get started.

I wouldn't dismiss the story out of hand though. Technically I think the straight 9 would work. Here is why I think so.

The straight 6 has the smallest number of cylinders giving perfect primary and secondary balance and overlapping firing strokes.

It is an optimum design in terms of smoothness, which is why such well regarded luxury cars as Rolls Royce, Mercedes, BMW and Bentley stuck with 6's for so long.

A straight 9 with crank throws at 120 degrees would in effect be 1 1/2 straight sixes.

Whether it would offer any advantage over a straight 8 I don't know.

So it would make sense to at least try it out.

This is why I believe the story to be possible. Whether they actually tried it or not, would be interesting to know.That's what has been nagging at me all these years.

I do know various car makers built bizarre experimental engines, way stranger than a straight 9.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty_OToole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do know various car makers built bizarre experimental engines, way stranger than a straight 9. </div></div>

You're right there. Oldsmobile built and tested a V5. You read that right - three on one bank, two on the other. I was unable to find the picture of it on line, but here's a news report from 1981:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.ht.../Topics/Engines

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rolls-Royce even made a 3 cylinder engine....B </div></div>

That might be unusual for RR, but three cylinder engines are downright common. The Suzuki Sprint/Geo Metro had a 1.0L 3cyl - an optional turbo version was even available. My 78 JD tractor has a 3 cyl diesel.

Guest aussie610

daihatsu also did a 3, I had a charade with a 1.0 3Cyl, they also did a turbo version. Threes were common in the veteran era as well

Caterpillar also used a 3 cylinder Diesel in the model Diesel 40, RD-6, and also the early. D-6. This was in the 1930's and very early 40's. These were used until they started with the famous 8U and 9U series which all had 6 cylinder engines.

Perkins also made/still makes a three cylinder diesel used extensivly in farm and construction machinery. I have one in a Massey Ferguson 30D Back Hoe.

Ford also had one in the 60's and 70's in some of their diesel and gas tractors. A lot of modern compact tractors have them also today. smile.gif Dave.