How many projects do you have going ??

Gary_N

OK, just to make myself feel better, since I have three projects simultaneously not getting much attention, I was wondering what some of you have in your garage waiting patiently? OK, Lamar, I know you have at least 6! What about the rest of you??

Thanks!

Gary

Guest rlbleeker

I have three that are done for the moment (they are never done.) Another 5 that I'm slowly working on, some very slowly (now measured in decades.) And about another dozen that I hope to get to some day, I know I probably won't. Oh, you said "projects" not "cars". Let see now, trucks, tractors, bikes.... I am an addict.

Bob, that would make for a very nice collection. I need to get working on my cars, but I also want a 50ish Pontiac. I love the front end and the dash on those cars. I'm also stuck on fastbacks. The national also turned my eye to '49 Roadmaster's. I really need a convertible something but until I can prove to myself that I have what it takes to restore what I have, I'll have to wait. Although, I have a line on a '48 Roadmaster Convertible and I could be talked into that one.......

Guest rlbleeker

Well, the daily drivers are a '96 Riv and a '99 Riv, they don't count. The other drivers are a '62 Skylark, '66 Skylark GS and a '67 SportWagon. The current projects by date are '60 MGA, '61 Triumph, '64 Riv, '67 Skylark, '37 Special, '30 Marquette and now a '16 Speedster. Hmmm, I count 7 there... I didn't start out as a Buick guy, the brit cars have been here awhile. Then in the long term list: '64 Wildcat, a few more '63-'64 Rivs (I like them) and another '67 SportWagon. Not Buick: '63 Impala, a couple '62 Jetfires, '62 Cutlass, '62 LeMans, International KB8 truck, '41 Ford pickup, '27 AC tractor, a few Harley's, a BSA. Probably missing something, but that's about it.

I have 2 projects now, one I didn't plan on. I'm pulling the '53s motor out to get rebuilt tomorrow, thanks to the ominous knock. Blech. The '65 Mustang's total body and interior makeover is taking longer than expected thanks to the unexpected '53 problems. I like rlbleeker's problems I think...lots to choose from! But for me, 2's enough projects! I would LOVE a '63-'64 Riv to drive though...

Guest imported_Thriller

The '62 Special, '66 Wildcat, and '41 Special 41SE are licensed and on the road...anyone who has attended the last two Nationals had the opportunity to see all three.

The '56 Special is in the garage right now...put used tires on it today to stand it up...hopefully a carb rebuild will get it running, which may make it easier to sell.

The '61 Invicta convertible, '52 Roadmaster, and '29 McLaughlin Buick are patiently awaiting restoration. Issues of space and time are primarily in the way...I need my own workshop out of town so I have some place to putter and store everything.

So, 3 roadworthy, 3 projects, and 1 for sale (that may become too much of a project).

'73 GS 455, apart since 1990, my bro's first car, '68 GS350 4speed, startrd resto in 1990 with quarters, now needs again. '66 Wildcat 2door, needs engine put in, started in 1996, '70 GSX collected parts, haven't touched, due to other projects. '70 Skylark RaceCar everything done, needs paint job, '66 WIldcat Convt, Custom, need to get rid of, will never get to it. '56 4-door sedan rescued from junkyard, need to get rid of. '85 Chevy 1/2T customized, labeled the "Black Truck from He((!" need to rid of, house bought in '84 need to do some upkeep, and more!

Good question. It caused me to think about my cars and add the non Buicks. I have just acquired a 67 Coronet, a car my Dad bought new. I've decided, after being asked many times, 'how many cars do you have?' to reply that its just not polite to ask that question.... especially in front of my wife.

On looking at the cars though, I can now say I have the decades represented from the 30's to the 2k 's.

Project cars, as in needing work, well they all do, but the 58 Caballero is the only real project now.

I'm just going to quit work, so I can care for the cars. Now I need somebody to talk to my wife about that, cause I'm not having any luck.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary_N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thriller: Does your '52 have Power Steering? </div></div>

Gary - I don't think so...it's been so long since I've seen the car, let alone driven it that I don't recall for sure.

John - should we tell everyone that your decades include non-Buicks as well? Or is there a '60s Buick I'm forgetting (or don't know about)? I could talk to your sweetheart, but seeing as I'm still working and she knows how many cars I have, I don't think it would do much good. Then again, you could do like me and start calling her your Sugar Momma. smirk.gifwink.gifwhistle.gif

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Lessee The 67 Skylark Im only offering technical advice on. Its my wifes car and she wants to do her own work. We will see how long that lasts.

68 Wildcat , I dont know why I havent worked on it lately ... but I havent and I really should. My chapter has a drive-in cruise coming up in a couple of weeks, and even though it wouldnt be anywhere close to being "done", if its drivable I really want to take it to the drive-in.

The 77 is never done , even if there is nothing on the books so to speak. This car is incredibly hard to get parts for and when Im not wrenching on it, Im always scouting for parts.

93 Chevy Pickup dropped the exhaust on the way to the great lakes regional. Sitting over my Dads house right now waiting for a new Y pipe. Might take care of that today.

Ive got 2 cars that arent projects yet, but the people that currently own these cars want me to have them, and are willing to be flexible enough on the price that I just cant pass them up.

1958 Chrysler New Yorker. It currently belongs to my brother, he wants a T-Bird. It needs new rockers(which he has ) small patches behind each back tire on the quarters and paint and interior. The Hemi runs great and the push button tranny works flawlessly.

1991 Caprice Classic. Yea I know, but the car has had an engine transplant and is currently sporting an LT-1 Vette engine. It belongs to my next door neighbor and man does this thing run !!!!! Im getting the car cheap enough that its worth it if I just pull the engine and junk the rest. And other than needing some body work, suspension work and paint its not a bad car.Its not an ex taxi or police car, its just a family sedan that when its original 305 went , got an LT 1 stuck in its place. I can see making a great sleeper out of this car. Hell the A/C still works.

Then theres the painting and upkeep on the house ... but I dont even want to go there.

Dan

A good encourging subject because a lot of times it's easy to get depressed. A collector buys a project with high hopes and as we so often see, gets sidetracked, the cars go on ebay or in a magazine to be sold.

I went through at least 20 cars trying to get the right "blend" of cars (years/bodystyles etc) but only lost $$$ in the process.

With the latest insulated 3 car garage, better then I've ever had, the skills and some tools - I have a 49 Roadmaster, a 63 Pontiac, a 68 Riviera.

But progress is s-l-o-w so seeing some of the other projects that are going slow makes me feel better. I mean, I just pulled the last body off of the 3rd car, the Riviera. Now I thought, great, I can start the "restorations" But in reality each rolling chassis now needs to be further reduced to bare frame.

I want these to all be nut and bolt restorations. And in the meantime I keep getting tempted by projects and so far I have resisted because reducing 3 cars leaves a lot of you know what around the house.

I'm 43, at this slow pace I expect the cars to be done by the time I am 50 or so. I can't imagine those folks who get these done in 2 years. I have neither the money or the time. And when I do have the time, I seem to be getting more worn out by the year.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BJM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good encourging subject because a lot of times it's easy to get depressed. A collector buys a project with high hopes and as we so often see, gets sidetracked, the cars go on ebay or in a magazine to be sold.

<snip>

I'm 43, at this slow pace I expect the cars to be done by the time I am 50 or so. I can't imagine those folks who get these done in 2 years. I have neither the money or the time. And when I do have the time, I seem to be getting more worn out by the year. </div></div>

I hear you...I often get somewhat down about the cars, if nothing else, just analysis paralysis trying to figure out what to do...I also hear you about the slowing down thing...you're the age of my oldest brother and I know I can't do all the stuff I could 20 years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary_N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Derek:

Maybe should sell the '52 since you don't see it too much! I know someone in Maryland looking for a '52 Roadmaster! (HA!)

Gary </div></div>

Gary - I might show this to The Boss as she made the final decision to purchase...mind you the Roadmaster is also a better car than the '56. Looking at the '56 the other day, I started adding up the value of the parts and I could probably easily make more parting it out, but I'd rather see it saved if I can. Ultimately, I need to downsize or get a big enough building that I can store / tinker on them (the latter is the preferred option).

Guest rlbleeker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary_N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rlbleeker - I hope you have a big garage or yard.</div></div>

I've got a big garage, only a few of the rougher projects and the parts cars live outside. I've been working on the MGA since '89 and I probably won't be done 10 years from now. I always end up playing with the newest toy while the others set in the corner. Someday I need to trim it down to about 8, but it's gonna be tough.

Looks like I'm in good company with projects...

65 Wildcat coupe 5-speed conversion,

65 Wildcat coupe 4-speed off to a shop for resto

65 GS coupe coming back from the paint shop;4-speed/401 getting worked on recently

67 GS California details and trannie to finish resto

67 Wildcat recore radiator, A/C charge

70 GS 455 stg 1-engine rebuild/frame resto...

68 GS400 4-speed 3x black- 2009

69 GS 350 3-speed blue- 2010?

I am now able to resist all "cars for sale ads"- garage full!

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wildcat65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am now able to resist all "cars for sale ads"- garage full!

</div></div>

Sure Ted, whatever you say wink.gif How long will that last...3 months? wink.gifsmirk.gifgrin.gif

I have always tried to keep it at one project at a time, but in reality the next is always there waiting and I wind up with two on the go.

I started way back in high school in the sixties with a UL Harley Davidson which I still have. I rebuilt it again in the early 90's but it needs some attention so it will be next.

I did a Buick 1928 Standard Roadster, that took about 25 years ( had to buy a house, have a family etc, not much time or money to work on a project ) and sold that only a couple of years ago to fund my latest project. The 28 went to England and I get pretty regular updates from the current owner which is nice ( do you all get attached to your cars? it's like hearing about a family member ).

Next I restored a Buick 1930 Series 40 sedan which I inherited from my Dad. This is my wifes favourite and tends to be used a lot, heading off on another 1500 mile rally in her in October so have some maintenance to do.

While restoring the 30 a very rare ( in Aus at least ) opportunity arose to purchase an unrestored 1950 Super sedanet and that overlapped although I was pretty good and kept focused on finishing the 30.

I finished the sedanet back in 2005 and use it for longer rallys.

Then while mid way through the Sedanet a real rare one turned up on the other side of the country, a 1934 Series 40 Roadster, unique to Australia with only 45 being built. After some real hard persuasion with the financial manager ( she who must be obeyed!! ) I purchased it and freighted it back home. This is the current project and now I've retired I hope it will be finished in another year or so.

So at the moment I have maintenance and some further work on The harley, 1930 Buick, 1950 Buick and complete the 1934 restoration. There's nothing else in the shed waiting??

DOES THIS MEAN I SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR MY NEXT PROJECT?????????????????

Personally I have 3 project cars, although I drive two of them for events and am not really doing anything major. Don't get me wrong, they both need major work, but I do not have the space so for now I'm just driving them to enjoy.

The third one is really scary. It's the 69 Electra I posted for sale last year. No one was interested and now I've retired so I planned to move foreward on her. Then the town reared it's ugly rule book and I was forced to put the car on the road. It had a broken brake line and the mice had converted it to their motel. What a mess.

But it's cleaned out now, and registered, and passed inspection, so I can drive it too. But, I found it is very rusty and in need of just about every floor pan. So I'm in the middle of deciding what to do with it. Looks right now that it will be a practice car.

Practice shaping, fabricating and welding plus painting. In the end I just want to be able to drive it without unintended passengers. It runs real well, but looks like garbage, I doubt I'll ever sell it and know I'll have a lot more into it than it may ever be worth. Yet I can't seem to throw it away. Go figure.

JD

Guest Skyking

I have 1 project going now. It's smaller than a Buick and alot less work. It's my 2nd and probably my last Metropolitan that I'll restore. This is the first time I'm using a rotisserie. As I'm getting older, it sure makes for an easier project. I started this restoration of my 1960 last April and hope to finish it next spring. Every part that I disassembled so far is finished and put away. I'm hoping to paint it before this winter so I can put it back together during the winter months. The color in the photos look blue, but the car is really a turquoise called Berkshire Green....The red & white Metropolitan in the last photo below is my '57 that I finished in 2004.

IM001187.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0156-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50jetback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So at the moment I have maintenance and some further work on The harley, 1930 Buick, 1950 Buick and complete the 1934 restoration. There's nothing else in the shed waiting??

DOES THIS MEAN I SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR MY NEXT PROJECT????????????????? </div></div>

Stuart,

I'm sure I seem to recall someone saying "no more, that's enough for me" wink.gif

See what retirement has done! smile.gif

Just face up to it there will always be room for another project because you have the same sickness as the the rest of us, it's very infectious with no known cure grin.gif

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Okay the post motivated me. The truck has its new y pipe and was welcomed back into the fold here at home last night. What a miserable job... I hate doing exhaust work. Now Ive just got to get over my Dads and rescue the Impala. But Ive got my parts hauler back. Thanks guys.

Dan

In addition to restoring my 50 Super I am also doing a rolling resto on my 58 Desoto. After the Super is drivable I will probably try and keep that running while I do the rest of the mechanical work as well. Both cars are registered but the Buick has not been on the road in 20 years (but I hope to try and get it on the road within a month). This weekend there is a chance that I can try and run the engine.

I forgot to mention that there are more cars on my list but I don't have the money right now. In addition to the 50 Super and the 58 Desoto there are some other cars that I will acquire/build when I get the money (candidates are: 38 Century Opera Coupe, MGA, 59-53 custom - possibly Buick, 30's old skool hot rod, 57 Nash coupe, others that I don't know about yet).

Guest Skyking

John, there are two slots in the valance pan that the bumper brackets go through onto the sides of the chassis. I had to fabricate two plates bolted to the brackets onto the rotisserie brackets. In the rear I added a 1" X 1" tubular stock under the chassis, then onto the rotisserie......

THE NUMBER OF PROJECTS WE HAVE GOING IS NOT RELAVENT. WHAT IS THE MATTER OF FACT IS THAT WE ARE ABLE TO OBTAIN THE NECCESSARY INFO TO MOVE ON IN OUR RESTORATIONS. IF YOU MUST KNOW, WE CURRENTLY HAVE OVER 43 AUTOS ON INTERNET FOR SALE BEGINNING AROUND $34,000.00 TO OVER 200,000$. NOW OUR QUESTION IS STILL THE SAME, DO YOU HAVE OR DO YOU KNOW WHERE WE CAN OBTAIN A SPARK-PLUG COVER FOR A 1940 BUICK CENTURY????

Guest Dans 77 Limited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: century1940</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THE NUMBER OF PROJECTS WE HAVE GOING IS NOT RELAVENT. WHAT IS THE MATTER OF FACT IS THAT WE ARE ABLE TO OBTAIN THE NECCESSARY INFO TO MOVE ON IN OUR RESTORATIONS. IF YOU MUST KNOW, WE CURRENTLY HAVE OVER 43 AUTOS ON INTERNET FOR SALE BEGINNING AROUND $34,000.00 TO OVER 200,000$. NOW OUR QUESTION IS STILL THE SAME, DO YOU HAVE OR DO YOU KNOW WHERE WE CAN OBTAIN A SPARK-PLUG COVER FOR A 1940 BUICK CENTURY???? </div></div>

Ummm The name of the post is "How many projects do you have going" Not "how many cars are you selling and for how much" or "Where can I get a spark plug cover for a 40 Buick century " . So not to be too much of a nit picker but the ONLY thing relevant to this post is the number of projects you have going. To try to direct the thread in any other direction especially the abrupt way you appear to be doing it is RUDE! Maybe Im misunderstanding here , but you havent made a very good impression with this post. And this is coming from a guy who has a reputation for being rude , and if it seems rude to me, its got to come off a lot worse to others.

Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: century1940</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THE NUMBER OF PROJECTS WE HAVE GOING IS NOT RELAVENT. WHAT IS THE MATTER OF FACT IS THAT WE ARE ABLE TO OBTAIN THE NECCESSARY INFO TO MOVE ON IN OUR RESTORATIONS. IF YOU MUST KNOW, WE CURRENTLY HAVE OVER 43 AUTOS ON INTERNET FOR SALE BEGINNING AROUND $34,000.00 TO OVER 200,000$. NOW OUR QUESTION IS STILL THE SAME, DO YOU HAVE OR DO YOU KNOW WHERE WE CAN OBTAIN A SPARK-PLUG COVER FOR A 1940 BUICK CENTURY???? </div></div>

Hi,

Suggest you try the relevent Forum, in this case the BCA Buy/Sell Forum.

I kind of/sort of have one project going. I have been doing little things here and there on my 62 Electra because I don't know where to start with the bigger stuff. I can't get too far into taking it apart because I don't know how long I will be here or where I will be going next. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't just sell it and get myself another Buick after I retire from the Marines and can settle down somewhere.