big cube flathead sixes

bebop138

Just to confuse the issue even more, I just found out Chrysler made straight 8 industrial engines.

While out hunting for flathead 6 parts I thought I found one in an old junkyard, powering a defunct crane. A closer look revealed a Chrysler straight eight with a 2 barrel carb. It looked like it was meant to be there and there was no sign that the engine had ever been changed. The rad, air filter, accessories all looked like original equipment.

The owner of the junkyard said the crane had been there since his father started the junkyard 50 years ago and never had any other engine.

So has anyone else ever heard of a Chrysler straight eight industrial engine?

• Like 1

I have all of the above. Chrysler 2BBL engines, used in 46-7 cars w A STROMBERG 2BBL CARB. Also have a 306/377/413 heavy duty 2-3/4 to 4 ton dodge truck twin carb, moly/nickel bock engines in my running 51-53 Dodge trucks! All have twin carbs-dual exhaust, sodium valves, couple have air brakes, one has the factory cable driven tach. These really "BIG Heavy Duty" Dodge engines are 40" over all length. Head is 31". They say "Nickel Moly on the block. Weight is about 750 LBS for the engine W/O bell housing.

Bob

• 3 months later...
  • 9 years later...

A line up of several of the Mopar flatheads from a 230 six cyl. 23" engine to the biggest 413 six cylinder 30" flathead.

#1 Front 230 plymouth 23" engine

#2 Chrysler 265 Six 25" engine

#3 Chrysler 323 Eight cylinder engine

#4 1953 Dodge truck 413 six cylinder 30" engine.... bigger and heavier than any Mopar flathead  ever built.. over 1100lbs.

Full MoPar Flathead Engine Line Up (55).JPG

Full MoPar Flathead Engine Line Up (32).JPG

413 Twin carbs Twin Exhaust (2).JPG

20191113_150804_compress8.jpg

20200211_122945_compress27.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2007 at 7:05 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

Just to confuse the issue even more, I just found out Chrysler made straight 8 industrial engines.

While out hunting for flathead 6 parts I thought I found one in an old junkyard, powering a defunct crane. A closer look revealed a Chrysler straight eight with a 2 barrel carb. It looked like it was meant to be there and there was no sign that the engine had ever been changed. The rad, air filter, accessories all looked like original equipment.

The owner of the junkyard said the crane had been there since his father started the junkyard 50 years ago and never had any other engine.

I have 3 of them.

1950 Ind Engine 271 (26).jpg

1950 Ind Engine 271 (25).jpg

1950 Ind Engine 271 (24).jpg

1950 Ind Engine 271 (2).jpg

1950 Ind Engine 271 (18).jpg

1950 Ind Engine 271 (20).jpg

1950 Ind Engine 271 (21).jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2007 at 7:05 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

Did you see this at Brians Junk Yard in Napa Valley?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brians-Salvage-Junk/168676369809553

16 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

The one I saw was near Bowmanville Ontario Canada.

WOW!! There is a crane at this guys yard that was Navy surplus. I do have a video of it working. Just can't find it. It's still in operation today. Flathead 8 Chry engine with all the gears in the open. DO NOT have long hair or loose clothing when operating.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Back in the day 68 to about 1973 my dad owned a rather large dump truck with a 413 cu .inch engine air brakes and it had a 6/8 yard capacity body . Trans was a 5 speed with 2 speed rear and was a monster . It was used in construction building houses in conn . and then in vt. when we moved north . I was 13 when I helped change that large heavy clutch in Ridgefield Conn. at 10 degrees . Dad was a Korea marine vet and said he was used to it as he kept the motor pool going in that kinda weather. Have never ever seen another like it since or currently .a off Robins egg blue dump ah THANX FOR THE MEMORY'S DAD. Love dave your son!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

To ALL Chrysler & DODGE Folks,

To further confuse the Chrysler Industrial Engine questions:  There is a Chrysler Straight-8 engine, set-up for Marine applications at the Tallac Historic Site, Boat House

near the famous Camp Richardson at South Lake Tahoe California as well as another unit at the Marine Museum at Tahoe City on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe.

Go see these as well as the historic boats on display , you won't be sorry

Keep-on-Dodgin'

Power Wagon Dude

The designation for the above Chrysler marine straight "8" also known as the "Royal" Chrysler marine M-43-S engine.

The Chrysler straight "8" industrial engines also have a brass ID tag generally on the right rear of the block ..

Industrial 8's will have a IND9, IND12, OR IND12A Stamped tags...could be a couple more designations too.

The industrial 8 shown above is a IND12.

• 1 month later...

Interesting posts, I met a guy looking for one of those 413's any leads I can pass on??  

• 2 years later...

Many years ago I heard of a batch of NOS Chrysler 8 cylinder dealer stock that had been found and brought back from the Philippines if I remember correctly. In it was a pair of gears that after much head scratching were determined to be Chrysler 8 replacement for the timing chain. Think the counter rotating engine of a pair in a boat.

On 12/15/2022 at 9:52 AM, dc dodge said:

if some looking a  Head for the Dodge truck 413 six cylinder i have one in Oregon for sell

it the big one in the photo lol , email my dc@dctruckparts.com

dc

297786630_10222378055027950_3259894017522363935_n.jpg

What's the seven digit part number on the head?

• 3 weeks later...