70's-80's Future collectible Buicks

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

Would like to hear thoughts and opinions of what 70's and 80's Buicks might have the most potential to become popular and collectable in the future. Also what years were "good" years and "bad" years for Buick as far as dependability. Bad mechanical problems? Were any years known for poor paint?Transmission problems. What about the 307 engines. Front wheel drive problems?

For the 1977 and later cars, which were the redesigned "downsized" cars . . .

The Olds 307 is a decent motor. Low-mid 20s mpg on the highway, but no reserve power past normal cruise conditions. In some of the late 1970s cars, you'll need to check the VIN to see if it's a real Buick motor or a Pontiac motor and what displacement it might be. The code for the Olds 307 is "Y".

The first years of the THM200 automatic were problematic . . . on the new cars. Probably fine once they got rebuilt, though. Take less power to run than a THM350, I suspect, but with slightly different gearing in "Low", they don't shift as nice as the THM350. You can't check the option code for this as GM changed the code to a dual code, one for "3 speed automatic" and the other one for the particular transmission in the car, rather than the code applying to a THM350 or THM400, as in the past. So, you'll have to check the shape of the oil pan. Later OD transmissions were the THM200R-4 and then the THM700, later on.

All will probably work fine at this point in time, though, as any problems usually happened earlier in their life. Shift quality might be a little different, if you know what you're feeling, but the later ones probably are better than the earlier ones. The later versions of Dexron fluid probably help them shift smoother, too, I suspect.

Many of the downsized cars also had the GM 7.50" ring gear rear axle. The same size ring gear that had been previously used on 6 cylinder Novas and such. Not a big deal, though, just an advisory that the rear cover will look like what you'd see on an S-10. This larger cars might have still had the 8.50" ring gear rear axle, though.

By the end of the "run" of the 1976 and prior cars, things were pretty much bulletproof, I suspect, with problems only being due to the fact the tooling was wearing out. Still, when the new emissions system and radial tires debuted in 1975, the fuel economy generally came back up as did driveability.

I think if I was going to look for a Buick in that era, I'd start with a '71 or '72 LeSabre. Nice clean styling and pretty simple designed vehicles. The 2-doors looked good, as did the 4-door hardtops. One problem area on these cars, including those into the 1980s, was the plastic/vinyl trim on the steering wheel--finding a car with all of the thin plastic insert trim still intact means it has been taken very good care of and stayed inside a lot during its life. And, of course, there are the Centurions (including the lower production convertibles).

Many people might not like the "square-back" Rivs of the mid-1970s, but in the right color combination, they look good and are something you don't see "everywhere". At this time, they can probably be more "value-priced" than some of the others. Of course, Boat Tails are good, too, especially the "pre-safety bumper" years.

There's also a "renegade" Riv that was on the LeSabre chassis in the early 1980s? A really nice car, from what I recall, with a 350 V-8 too, but one the collectors seem to be shunning. Be that as it may.

By the time the middle 1980s got here, about all there might be on the full-size platform would be the "Collector Series" LeSabres. They were one of the first ones with a really fancy owner's manual portfolio. "Collector Series" as they would be the last rear wheel drive LeSabres.

In the 1970s, the X-body (i.e., Chevy Nova) rear wheel drive Skylark is a really nice car and one that many don't think about at all. One with the Buick 350 V-8 and some incognito suspension upgrades (ala Nova police car-type stuff) might be a fun car that is big enough to be comfortable on a longer trip (with KONI shocks) but one that could sneak up on some unsuspecting "performance" car (i.e., 5.0L Mustangs) at the stop light, hehe. Something that you can drive, enjoy, and not lose too much money on in the long run.

Another car that seems to be appreciating in value is the 1970s intermediate-body Skylarks. Doesn't have to be a GS, either. With the 350 V-8, good peformance with good fuel economy (1971s were the start of "all regular gas" cars). Comfortable, too, plus a lot of repro parts are available due to the GS cars' popularity.

Notice that I've mentioned vehicles which I suspect can still be found in good "estate" condition at reasonable prices, rather than the easier-choice "muscle car" vehicles. To me, the muscle cars are somewhat problematic--they'll always be worth more than their more mundane counterparts, but their value tends to be somewhat cyclical and related to gasoline prices. Like stocks, you have to watch the market and know when to buy and when to sell--if that matters. Whereas, you might liken the more regular vehicles more as "bonds" than "stocks". Of course, 2-door hardtops and convertibles will always be best.

By observation, if the vehicle had any sort of performance trappings, there's a significant chance that it's been "modified" in some form for better performance rather than being completely stock and in OEM production trim. You might not see it readily, but it's usually there, somewhere--for what that's worth.

There are also some "undervalued" Buicks. One would be the early '80s Riviera convertibles (hopefully with the V-8, as powerless as it might be). For some reason, the market on them has been depressed for several years now, probably to remain somewhat flat for several more years.

To me, the key thing is to find something you like and not buy the first thing you might see. Still, if you find something that is what you might want and everything else looks good, you might get it before it gets away. And, you'll need to know pretty much "what you're looking at when you see it." Highly variable situations!!!

Just some thoughts and observations . . .

NTX5467

Here's a list of what I would buy, if I had discretionary funds:

70 Estate wagon

72 Centurion

72 Estate Wagon

78 Park Ave

77-79 Lesabre Sport coupe ( Turbo Charged V6 only)

79-80 Regal turbo sport coupe

83-84 Century T Type

86-87 Somerset Regal T Type (5 spd only)

87 Electra T Type

88-89 Lesabre T type

Sensing a pattern here? If not, these are all sport editions, most available as 2 door models, and most have some inherent problems.

The 70 and 72 Wagons I would only consider with a 455

The 72 Centurion only as a convertible

The 78 Park Ave only if truly rust free.

The 78-79 Lesabre Sport Coups only as low milage cars

Same with the Regal Turbo Sport coupes

However, the Century t type only with no rust on the undercarriage

The 87 Electra t type only with high milage ( I think the bearings on these are not that great, but a high milage one may had em replaced already or be beyond the danger zone)

The 88-89 Lesabre t types I'd take any. These are not hard to find, but the price is going up everyday. They appear to be extremely well thought out and better than average when put together.

What a list. Makes the two car/2 SUV offerings of today's Buick look paltry.

JD

Tough one because it's a different animal all together after 1972, the typical break off year. No car will be collectible like the old days, it woud come down to personal taste and desire. The only 80's collectible Buicks that I know of are the GN Regal's and (maybe) the Riviera convertibles.

Now consider the different groups that may be upset by that analysis such as the Reatta folks from 1988 to 1991. Whether a person personally likes and wants one of the many other collectible Buicks does not equate to whether that model would be generally collected by most.

Even the typical so-called collectibles are dogs, such as Corvettes. Anybody want a 1985 Corvette? Or worse yet - anyone want to restore one of them?

Current GN Regal's circa 1986-87 can not be restored for what is being asked ($15,000 to $20,000 excepting the GNX) The choice to collect a 1973 to 1989 Buick must be based on personal desire and not at all on potential retention of value. There are some rare ones out there, I briefly owned a 1986 Century GS with a 3.8L V6 but I bought it for $150.

You can get 1988/89 Reatta coupes for $1000 to $4000.

John,

Would agree with many of your choices.

The unusual, performance-oriented Buicks really stand out today. I've owned several Riv convertibles, and they are fun to drive, but not very practical. The '83 Rivs are the worst; known for tons of electrical gremlins and very unusual rear disc brakes. If you want a Riv, the two '85s I had were the best of the bunch.

Since the Buick wagons were the most luxurious wagons GM made, they are the top of the line due to the absence of Cadillac wagons. (FACTORY wagons, not modified cars)

The early computer-controlled Quadrajet carbs were something else to work on, but if you got one set up right, they weren't too bad on gas. I got an incredibly good rebuilt 4-BBL for my '85 Olds 98 with the 307 from Holley. Of course, real Buick engines are the best!

One point I would amplify if anyone were looking for entries to put on their wish list: WATCH OUT FOR THE RUST, ESPECIALLY AROUND THE REAR WINDOW AND UNDER THE VINYL TOPS!

Perhaps an additional consideration would be, all things considered, which Buicks might be around, that you like, which can be bought reasonably-priced (especially the nicer ones!) . . . that have reached the bottom of their depreciation cycle and might start up at some time in the future? Ones that the money you might spend on them can be recouped in future value increases as it makes them a "nicer" vehicle? Just as the "antique" nomenclature is generally agreed to be "25 years old, and older", remember that that is a rolling window situation--not that it would magically mean something as to the value WE might place on a vehicle, but that younger members of society might have "grown up with" and therefore would like them for that sentimental orientation.

In other words, Buicks that you can find and drive reasonably often, in pretty nice condition and make some incremental improvements/maintenance as time and money allows . . . and not generate an ultimate negative cash flow situation during that time. Drive, enjoy, and get your money out of it (although that might take some advertising in the RIGHT place to make happen).

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTX5467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Perhaps an additional consideration would be, all things considered, which Buicks might be around, that you like, which can be bought reasonably-priced (especially the nicer ones!) . . . that have reached the bottom of their depreciation cycle and might start up at some time in the future? Ones that the money you might spend on them can be recouped in future value increases as it makes them a "nicer" vehicle? Just as the "antique" nomenclature is generally agreed to be "25 years old, and older", remember that that is a rolling window situation--not that it would magically mean something as to the value WE might place on a vehicle, but that younger members of society might have "grown up with" and therefore would like them for that sentimental orientation.

In other words, Buicks that you can find and drive reasonably often, in pretty nice condition and make some incremental improvements/maintenance as time and money allows . . . and not generate an ultimate negative cash flow situation during that time. Drive, enjoy, and get your money out of it (although that might take some advertising in the RIGHT place to make happen).

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467 </div></div>

As always Willis... "such a way with words". Very well put. that's exactly what I had in mind. I've been dreaming of THIS BEAUTY ever since it came on ebay but who would dare turn in into a driver. Still a very beautiful car. As are many of the Regals and Rivieras I have been looking at over the last few weeks. Oh well, I'm sure I'll have a chance to check out and fall in love with something in Seattle. Let me get back to packin. Thanks guys for all the excellant thoughts and opinions so far. I am in no hurry and hey as they say, half the fun is in the chase.

Lamar,

Indeed this era of cars are collectible, I just don't see them appreciating. Typically nice 50's and 60's Buicks in desirable body types, are increasing in value 1% to 4% annually. That's not bad. I am 43 years old and I graduated in 1982. Some of us buy cars that we remember from our childhood. That period for me would be 1973 to 1982. The cars I remember and wouldn't mind owning are the 79 to 81 Pontiac TransAms.

I have looked into the early Regal Turbos, circa 1979-80. I like the hood bumps, rallye wheels and bucket seats/console versions. But you would have to buy based on interest in the cars, they just are not going to appreciate. I don't see 40 somethings 10 years from now dropping $15,000 on a nicely restored 79 Turbo Regal. It would have to be PURR FECT.

Having worked at a Buick dealer in 1979 to 1981 I have to say this was a low point for Buick as well as all GM. Shoddy paint, metallics would fade and dull after a year in the sun, of mismatched panels ( front fenders were painted separate in some of the car lines), bad motors ( mainly the V6), bad transmissions not to mention the Diesel! GM deserved to loose nearly half of their market share palming of the junk on us. Do't know that things are much better now, after a stint at Cad the Northstar motor would often suffer major oil leaks at around 50K requiring a near tear down to fix. This the same motor used in the V8 Buicks. I will never by GM again!

Frazer,

There are several GM highlights today that go far, far beyond personal (limited) experiences of years gone by:

1. The Buick 3.8 engine--recognized by Wards as one of the best engines ever, and used by many, many people in this club and forum for well over 150,000 miles virtually trouble-free.

2. GM transmissions--considered some of, if not the best, unless you include in some very exotic, expensive foreign versions.

3. GM trucks--considererd the best or nearly the best by many in the automotive press. Personally, my 2003 has been totally trouble-free. And yes, the new Toyota trucks have fallen far short of dethroning GM and Ford.

4. GM electronics--state of the art, and copied by many.

5. Paint--across the board, they are light years away from the late '70s. Perfect? No. Room for improvement? Yes, but a long, long way from previous decades.

6. Climate controls--considered the best for decades. They have taken what many of us thought would be a disaster (the forced conversion to R134a) and made it work, and very well at that.

7. Quality--virtually neck and neck with any Asian brand, a thousand miles ahead of Land Rover and the Euros.

8. Gas mileage--as good as anyone on large cars, getting better on medium and small cars. And, they are about as well as any other company about making E85 work with various platforms.

9. Hybrids--still a way to go, but they are serious about making it work.

So where do they need to improve? Very subjective, but I would list the need for exciting "gotta have it" designs, vibrant colors, trendsetting vs. me-too new models, where-oh-where have all the two-doors gone, muscle cars, longer warranties (the 5 year 100K powertrain warranty is a joke) and of course, convertibles. And, the reality of $4 gas means they are either going to have to seriously make trucks and SUVs fuel efficient or loose market share.

So, please don't make the mistake of judging a Buick or any GM car of the last few years with the dark ages of 1979.

Joe

Joe and Fred,

That's sort of hijacking the thread. Lamar, I wouldn't hesitate to build a collection of 70's and 80's Buicks (even 90's if you include Reatta/last generation Rivieras) it's just that the values may only increase incrementally, so they will not be seen as "collectible" in the sense of value appreciation.

I love the full size 2 door models, Lesabre Sport Coupes, Electra 2 door models through 1985.

Buick made sport coupe LeSabres in the 1986 restyle front wheel drive - and I've seen one in the junkyard with buckets and console, rallye steering wheel and leather.

The GS (?) LeSabre, or maybe it's T-Type LeSabres of the late 1980's ought to be collectible. I want one - all black paint, cool rear spoiler. Some are quite rare.

Jake,

You almost certainly saw a Lesabre T-Type. The only bad thing about them (at least in this part of the country) is that they usually were silver, and that was one of the colors that didn't hold up well. So, any you find may be prone to a lot of rust.

Thanks for getting us back on track.

Joe

Most desirable I think in the future will be the GNX... there's one for sale in Belgium.... For only $23.000 grin.gif

I don't think it is one of the 500+ produced GNX's :

23835530buickgnxmetturbcj5.jpg

So probably scam

Shot at 2007-07-27My 75 Riviera GS(the most ignored era of all Rivieras) for me has the most personal value; I drove quite some US made cars (60/70/80's), but none of them came close to the luxury of that Riv. The 455 was downgraded that year to just over 200HP... I still concidder it as enough for this Boat.

The '75 Riviera was the less produced RWD modelyear (just over 17.000...only 3.000 had the GS package)so that makes at least a rare one. Nonetheless it will never be a modelyear for collectors.

If I ever have to choose of letting go 2 out of the 3 Buicks: the 72 Estate Wagon and the 73 Riviera will have to go... Luckily I'm not in that position right now

3 Jakes . . . the LeSabre T-Type 2-drs are pretty rare cars. Nothing really special about them other than they were what they were. One of our chapter members has one, which he drove to MN last year.

For their time, they were pretty sporty. If you got the "gauge package", it included a tach, too (this was optional on all of the LeSabres back then). Unfortunately, no special engine option, just cosmetics and chassis upgrades. Still, pretty nice!

When we were at the BCA National Meet in Flint, in '88, the show field had some black LeSabre coupes that had been used as some sort of pace cars at Daytona. A run of about 100 or so (?), but they were not really special (other than documentation of what they'd been used for) with cloth, bench seats.

On those LeSabres, I observed that Flint cars were generally better-built than the non-Flint cars.

There can be a good number of nice Buicks in the allegedly "non-collectible" later model years that could make a nice collection. Not something that will greatly appreciate in value per se, but something to save for historic purposes and also enjoy as time permits.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest buickapollo455

What about the limited rare Roadhawk, Freespirit skyhawk, and Nighthawk, these are so rare most buick people have never seen them , and the Apollo forgotten , now hard to find , and easy motor tranplant for a great muscle car. The limited GN in Lesabre after regal body GN is also very rare. Dont for get the buick OPel never seen yet sold by Buick. craig

Willis,

I sold my Buick Buyers Guide a couple of years back, wish I hadn't. Because it had snippets on these "potential" 80's collectible Buicks that one normally doesn't see. That's what led me to purchase the 86? Century GS and why I like the Lesabre T-Types. Now, didn't those Lesabre T-Types have special wheels as well as the flat rear spoiler that just extended out from the rear deck?

Thanks

Jake

3Jakes -- as the T-Types were all "sporty" oriented vehicles, there usually had the suspension upgrade calibrations (a little firmer), alloy wheels, Goodyear Eagle GT radials (the premier OEM performance tire of that era), and some sort of rear spoiler. Probably some interior upgrades, too, as in bucket seats and a tach in the instrument cluster.

And don't forget about the "Turbo T" Regal!

BA455, low production figures of a niche market vehicle don't always spell "collectible". Granted, the vehicles you mentioned are very very rarely seen today (as the Chevy Monza Mirage--cafe racer--coupe), but they were generally seen as a "decal car" more than anything else back then. I don't mean that to be "good" or "bad", but most "future collectibles" generally have something unique about them other than a decal package.

I know that in the H-platform arena (which originated with the Chevy Vega), there are many unique and neat cars. The Cosworth Vega would be one of the first, for example. By the time the Roadhawk and such appeared, they were unique and eye-catching, but didn't sell very well. If you find one to restore, you'll have one heck of a time reproducing the decal package (in paint!) as any which you might find NOS will have been rolled up in the box for the past 30 years (I recall a 3M comment that the OEM decals were spec'd for 20 year, maybe 30 year, durability . . . back then). Be that as it may.

In the small car rwd H-platform area (as opposed to the more recent fwd H-platform vehicles!), too, there are many yearly variations of equipment and hardware--more than I ever suspected until I started researching that stuff for a customer about 10 years ago. Even variations between Chevy, Olds, Buick, and Pontiac in the same model year! Many might not classify these cars as "collectible", but I know there is a serious following for them, too. It might not be a large as for, say, the '55 era Buicks, but it's there, just as there is for the more recent GM fwd small cars (i.e., J-car).

Any time you start talking "collectible" and "future collectible" in any brand of vehicle, there will always be the more central area, which will progress outward to the (progressively so) niche platform/type of vehicle enthusiast groups. Fortunately, EVERYBODY can find some vehicle to be excited about!

Unfortunately, though, not everyone might share their enthusiasm for these vehicles . . . which can affect their future value and alleged collectibility. Whether it's a particular model year range or particular models in a particular model year range, that's not totally important. Key thing is that they are involved in a section of a particular marque's hobby group! As many enthusiasts can tend to be highly focused in their particular enthusiasm, these same people might have completely overlooked the reasons other operatives might be attracted to a different vehicle from a particular manufacturer.

Every vehicle has it's own "neat things" and "reason for being" about it, just that not everyone might understand or appreciate these things, choosing items that might be more relevant to their own life-eras or things they understand or remember. I feel that if we are to really appreciate how things got to where they are in current time, we ALSO need to understand how things got there! That would mean being open to learning about prior vehicles and what made them great WHEN PRODUCED, especially in relation to other vehicles of that time frame! What might be considered "crude" by less vintage enthusiasts might have been "high tech" or "ground-breaking technology" when it was initially produced, for example--all depending upon a particular point of reference, both with respect to the vehicle and also to the person looking at it.

So . . . it might be best to put less emphasis on ONLY the financial considerations of "collecting" as a reason to do it but to put more consideration upon "What one likes" instead. At the same time, when somebody might claim a 4-door is not collectible (which would be somewhat true in a strict orientation of only 2-door hardtops and convertibles being "collectible"), it can be highly dependent upon what the brand, size, and model year of the vehicle might be. By observation, some years and models of vehicle have a better roof line and proportions when in a 4-door hardtop than when in a 2-door hardtop or 2-door sedan. Plus, a 4-door sedan will usually be a "tighter" car than a same year (more glamourous) 4-door hardtop. Not to forget that if you want to take more than two people, those extra two doors come in pretty handy! Plus, would it be better to hear a sedan close solidly (typically) than a rear hardtop door close with a rattle or two (typically)??? Still, though, the greatest financial "protection of investment" will be with the more popular and acknowledge "collector" vehicles. Just depends upon which "game" you wish to play or can participate in . . .

In an article in favor of staying away from the higher trim level vehicles to seek out to restore (in "Old Cars Weekly" long ago), it was noted that the lower level vehicles generally had the same designs and components on them as the fancier (more desireable?) vehicles did. So, the lack of frills would make the base model an easier vehicle to restore and have still have the desired attributes of the more expensive fancy trim level vehicles. There's a certain reality in that orientation which is sometimes missed when we go out to chase a particular vehicle for purchase.

For example, you might be wanting a '55 Buick Roadmaster Riviera for your driveway, but if you find a '55 Century Riviera instead, or even a '55 Special Riviera, then these other Buicks could be viable options to consider, too. As in the purchase of any used vehicle, having options as to what you'll consider can result in a widened knowledge and appreciation of the marque's vehicles.

Lots of places for many considerations and vehicles to be considered! Just depends upon your particular point of reference and at what level you can play the game, with all due respect.

Everybody enjoy whenever possible (and whenever necessary)!

NTX5467

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Well there is a good chance its never going to happen. But I certainly know which late 70s car I <span style="font-style: italic">hope</span> are going to go way up in value. Or if they dont go up in value ... at least somebody starts making parts for it. Im getting tired of having to epoxy the bumper fillers back together on my Electra.

Dan

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Rob , Ive never heard of RP. But it sounds interesting. Do you have any further info ?

Thanks

Dan

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Thanks Rob. Ive bookmarked their site and when I have some time methinks Im going to order a new bumper filler.

Thanks again

Dan

I just put a 1985 Buick Lesabre "Collectors Edition" on my ebay watch list. There are 3 days left (at the time I put it on) and the opening bid was $499 with no reserve.

Interestingly, it is a 2 door model. Most 1985 Collectors Edition leSabres I've seen have been four door models. It has 138,000 miles, is described honestly as maybe needing paint but the interior is nice, needing only a cleaning, is essentially a two owner car that runs / drives well and for the past four years has been primarily a family back up car.

It appears steel grey with half vinyl halo roof, is probably fully loaded, as loaded as they came. Has the wire wheel hubcaps, comes with the 1985 Collectors Edition leather-like binder/folder, which I have by the way and I highly recommend (Words by Gustin, hand penned Lesabre prints, etc) and still has the limited edition Collectors Edition hood ornament in it's original box.

So, it has the sportier two door body style (which personally I love and is hard to find) is the last year for LeSabre rear wheel drive platform, would be a great road car to go to Nationals and the like, is collectible by it's last year position and by Buick setting it apart by the Collectors Edition status, is collectible by it's (sportier. more styled)body type (no offense to 4 door owners - I've owned a Lesabre four door) is inexpensive to get into, gets decent gas mileage, would not be seen often and is relevant to show at shows as many of these cars were scrapped or crushed. They will become less and less available in the next 10 to 15 years, this one seems to be in good condition (enjoy now, paint/restore later) has a lot of parts still available to stock up on. You can put road wheels on it and white letter tires to sport it up even more, there are Buick sport steering wheels available that look great and are period correct, is loaded with convenience options that make the long trips to Nationals more enjoyable, and on and on.

So Lamar, here is an instance of a perfectly collectible mid 80's Buick that is and probably will continue to get ignored but those with the interest and willingness to purchase have to consider many factors in it's purchase, even if it were free. Does it get the juices going in us the way a special older Buick does? Do you want to show up at a BCA event where most of the guys are bringing 40's, 50's cruisers, muscle Buicks, etc only to have your "collectible" 85 LeSabre all but ignored? Would there be a stigma on you whether it was said out loud or just thought "this guys not a REAL Buick collector"

Tough call, but that's what faces a lot of potential collectors of these cars. I personally don't care, I check em' all out at a show BUT I think a good alternative is to own several Buicks over several generations.

Guest imported_MrEarl

I'm watching that too Jake. I'm a little concerned about how long it has been driven on salted roads, the rear bumper seems to be at a slant and the paint looks pretty dull. I love detailing a car but prefer to have something that is more rewarding. But taking all that into account I will likely bid accordingly at the end. I seriously considered the 83 LeSabre Custom up in St Louis that was listed here but have to consider the cost to either go get and drive back or ship. Same applies here. I have really gained a new respect for a lot of the 60's - 80's Buicks since I began looking. I have gained a better respect for them and have no doubt that a number of them will be collectible after about 10-15 years.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Jake

A lot of the issues you mention I have gone through with my 77. Ive had attempts made to seperate me from my chapter cause they didnt think my car was actually with the "Old Buicks". Ive also had a guy driving .... of all things.... a Celebrity wagon tell me that guys like me bringing new cars to cruises was going to ruin it for the serious car guys. I was so stunned I couldnt even yell back at the guy I just listened to this tirade from his lawn chair in front of his Celebrity. This will happen for a few years with the 85 , but be patient, it will pass.

My 77 now goes one of two routes. Its either completely ignored or when it does get noticed (which seems to happen more often every year) People go crazy over it. They want to see under the hood , under the car. They want to know where I got it, how much I paid for it etc etc. And like was said earlier it will usually be the only one at a local show. When I first bought the 77 ... it was the lone stranger at most shows. Now there are at least 3 other ones that show up. There is now a 2nd one in our chapter and I know of a 4th that is tucked away and just waiting for the day it sees the road again. this collectors edition is something you will enjoy . Take it from someone who has walked the path your on.

Dan

I know those people mean well, BUT it never ceases to amaze me that they can justify those types of dialogues.

Many people in the hobby seem to associate "older cars" with "antiques" (and the 25+ years age orientation). To me, this is unfortunate. Many seem oblivious to the fact that a 1980 model year car is now 27 years old, an "antique" (and eligible for special license plates!), but a "used car" to many.

Many people also seem to be oblivious to the fact that getting ANY type of non-mechanical parts for a 1980 model year vehicle is pretty much a salvage yard situation (i.e., NO repro parts for moldings and soft trim). Mechanical parts should be pretty easy to do, but they are NOT what you see as the car sits on a parking lot at a weekend cruise.

And, I suspect, some would like to skip over the "wire wheel cover" or "landau vinyl roof" era, but those were some of the most oppulently luxurious cars every produced--Great American Luxury Cars (that ACTED like luxury cars should act--smoooooth, quiet, powerful, and distinctively styled). Be that as it may.

To me, it's always neat to have something that nobody else has (or used to "not want") and then watch people stop to talk after they've walked by the more popular vehicles at a show/cruise event. Of course, you'll probably hear (from a younger person) about "My grandmother had one like that . . ." It's also neat to see other similar cars start showing up after you've broken the ice, so to speak.

I hope the Celebrity the guy was sitting in front of was a "EuroSport" rather than a normal Celebrity . . .

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Here, here!

I lost interest in the local chapter after attending an early meeting inwhich a memeber went on and on for about 20 minutes or so about how NO car (Buick included) has been worth anything to him since about 1949. Metal too thin, too cheap, etc., etc.....

I know those people are out there, but what ticked me off is the 'leadership' let him continue on his tirade for so long. Talk about loosing control of the room.......

It almost reminds me of people in here that criticize members when they post some piece of information about a NEW or UPCOMING Buick. Don't they know that if the brand isn't supported, it will soon join Oldsmobile in the GM cemetery?????

• 3 years later...
Guest Lowastheygo

i just picked up a 80 regal limited somerset ,, called Gm ,found there were 6,813 produced.. rare car ,,has very little rust and very clean interior....another car in my collection

Good one Paul, but actually I am glad someone is reading the vintage stuff and reviving it. It's kinda fun to see what has piqued the interest of some of the newer Forum Members. And some of those old topics are just fun alltogether.

I'm sure as the 1970's and 1980's come mroe into the collectables era that interested parties will pick up what's most of interst to them, as always.

My family had 3 1971 LeSabre Customs, back in the day, and my brother has one now and also a 1975 Electra Limited, so this 1972 Centurion Formal Coupe was a perfect fit for me. I'm sure prople will pick up and fix up what's special for them.

post-31691-143138291214_thumb.jpg

Would like to hear thoughts and opinions of what 70's and 80's Buicks might have the most potential to become popular and collectable in the future.

Which 70's-80's Buicks will become popular and collectible? Possibly 70-72 Skylark GS, and 80's Grand Nationals. Maybe to a lesser degree boattail Rivieras and 80's Riviera convertibles. Aside from that, I really don't see any others becoming popular or collectible.

First thing is I'm going to be bashed for liking Lincolns. But that is not what makes me comment this way. Look at several things.

1. 1957 Chevys and T-birds were already collectible when they were 15-20 years old. 1970's cars are generally still disrespected on this forum (more on AACA general than the Buick forum), and at shows. And they now average 35 years old. 1970's cars now have more defenders in recent years, but I don't see that mindset suddenly changing anytime soon so that 1970's cars are now the hot new must have cars.

2. Unless it is a Camaro, Mustang, Trans Am or Corvette, nothing from the 1980's currently attracts much collector attention.

3. Growing up when cars were being downsized, and hating the downsizing, I thought the pre-1977 and even pre-1986 models would be more collectible and in demand. They are not. Instead they get comments about what gas mileage does it get. How come gas mileage is a big concern for a 1976 Park Ave. which will probably end up using less gas for the year (because it is only driven to shows) than most people will use for their Honda or Toyota for a month? Why is gas mileage the #1 comment you will get for a 1970's Electra or Lincoln, but it is never asked for a Duesenberg, Chevelle SS 454, or Hemi 'Cuda which probably uses just as much if not more? Also why is it that a 1959 Cadillac or 60's Impala SS is no problem, but a full size 1970's car is just too huge to be driven?

4. In addition to the bad rap for gas mileage, they also get a bad rap for quality, and no performance due to emissions. Not all had bad quality or performance, but they are all brandished that way. There are plenty of 1950's and 1960's cars with bad performance and quality as well, but somehow it is never an issue like it is for 1970's cars.

5. The 1970's cars are getting more attention at shows. They get comments of grandpa or uncle whoever had one. But that does not mean these people are going to go out and buy one. That is what makes them collectible, and desireable. More demand than supply. I don't see demand exceeding supply anytime soon. You can find a nice low mileage 1970's Lincoln any day of the week on Ebay for less than $6000. Sure value guides put them at more than that. But that doesn't mean it is going to immediately sell for that. If it is on a car lot, it is going to sit there for ages. Only really amazing top line cars get more than $10,000. I don't follow Buick prices, but I would assume that could be said for 1970's Buicks as well.

6. With all the above listed for 1970's cars, it seems that I have forgotten the 1980's. But that is exactly the point. The 1980's cars seem to be basically forgotten in collector circles. The first half of the decade are now offically antiques. But I don't see any mention of them in magazines, at shows, in discussions like this. I think they will have an even harder uphill battle as collectibles. And the second half of the decade just seems like used cars. I hate that term when applied to 1970's cars, but in the case of late 1980's-early 1990's cars, it does ring true. There isn't too much difference between them and new cars in terms of styling, features, performance, etc. except they are older, and maybe in some cases, a little boxier. There is no big "remember when?" factor to them like with fins, chrome, and 70's excess.

7. 1970's and 1980's Buicks will have some owners and collectors. But it will be someone who remembers one from their childhood, or just wants or liked a specific model. That is how it will be for all 70's-80's cars. None of them will become the new 1957 Chevy in the collector hobby. And since this thread started 3 years ago, I don't think my answer would have changed from then until now. Same as the prices and general collectibility of these cars. I wish that wasn't the case. But I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

You are probably not off base.

The one thing the 70s full size cars have going for them is sheer comfort and power. Now, it isn't power compared to a GS, but my '75 Electra is comfortable and seems to be pretty content at 80-85 on the highway (my wife did that this summer to catch up to me with the truck and trailer after being separated in a single lane construction zone). Similarly, my father had bought a '77 Mercury Marquis demonstrator - we had this car when I got my license. As a teenager, I found it to be happier on the highway at 85 than 65. So, in my opinion, they are great highway cruisers. Sure the 455 gets 15-18 mpg depending on speed, but I'd rather get there with a bit of class and comfort that in many of the cars that have been built since.

The 70s and 80s will be sort of niche markets based primarily on models. The Regals from the 80s will be big (whether as Regals, T-types, GNs, or GNX). Rivieras always have some collectibility.

The key in my mind right now is that most of them are available inexpensively. If there is a model you want, try to get it relatively soon. Sure, the value won't skyrocket, but there are some great deals to be had (my Electra is a reasonable example). Get them while they are cheap and still available.

The other thing they have going for them is some of the more modern amenities. You are more likely to find power windows, cruise control, and A/C on the cars of the 70s and 80s which make touring / driving more pleasant.

Just some thoughts.....

I agree, just seeing if Mike has any more funny pictures.

Naw, I didn't even realize this one was an oldie. Maybe because it (and it's kind) pop up so often that I think it is a fresh thread. It's the crazy one-offs that somebody finds while googling that amuse me.

(back to the thread...)

Guest Dans 77 Limited

That turbo Lesabre in the Bugle keeps sending me to the bank to check my balances. I would LOVE to have that car I dont care if anyone else thought it was collectible or not. And although its not a Buick a 77 Pontiac Can am would also be VERY welcome.

Dan