WIX Oil filter 51035 (NAPA 1035)

RO

Have been discontinued. Did a search on google for Wix 51035 and found quite a few folks looking for this filter. Someone suggested the filter cross refs to a Federated P8180 but could find no information. This filter attaches via brass fittings at the top and bottom. Anyone know a source or substitute? This is NOT a cartridge type, but the whole assembly is discarded after use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does it fit? </div></div>

My notes show that it fits 1950-54 DeSoto 6 cylinder, 1951-55 Kaiser, 1947-59 Plymouth 6 cylinder with std trans, 1946-56 Dodge, 1959-?? Gravely Tractors. While not original, it also fits on the 1930s Plymouth 6 engine too. It may fit other applications I don't know about.

It would seem there might be enough demand for a small specialty supplier to manufacture them.

There is a member of the Plymouth Owners Club that is said to be making a unit that looks like the original bypass filter but that can be opened up to install a modern filter. Since the original filters used a "depth media" rather than the modern full flow "surface media" filters I am not sure the back pressure would be correct for all applications. The 1934 and later Plymouths L-head six engines had a dual function oil pressure relief valve that shut off flow through the filter if the pressure dropped too low. For those cars would probably work. My 1933 does not have that feature and I wonder about the effect on oil pressure during hot idle conditions.

By the way, cross references to other obsolete numbers (might be useful at a swap meet) are:

AC P-21

FRAM PB1/2-P

MOPAR MPR 1/2 

Hastings HD1/2

Walker SU-3

WIX WF 1/2

NAPA 1035

WIX 51035

MOPAR L-93

CarQuest 85035

The original Chrysler part number for this is 861028. The 1920s and 30s Chrysler products used part number 324271 which was superceded by 861028.

This filter was mounted on my '54 Kaiser Late Special when I acquired the car years ago; it is not the standard equipped filter/cartridge used on the car, but I stayed with it but have since used up the two filters I had.

I found nothing from ebay or any other websites by searching for any of those numbers. Will probably just have to convert to throw-away cartridge type. There are probably bunches of these filters around in old parts houses and warehouses, but how to locate them.

In the past several years I have bought 18 C1/2 filters on ebay. They are the same as the throwaway ones used by Chrysler in the late thirties and fourties. The ones with a 1/8 pipe fitting on each end. My car takes a XA-5 (shaped like a 48 oz juice can with both fittings on one end). These are almost impossible to find but by running the line the other way I can use the Chrysler one. Sometimes the go fo 3 or 4 dollars and sometimes for 25-30 dollars. As I change my oil ever 3000 miles I would use 4 filters every year but I discovered that the oil filter (bypas type) only gets hot for about 700 miles and therefore only filters part of the oil for a third of the time I decided that I would plug the inlet so there would be no flow. I have driven my car this way for 25 years and have not noticed any ill effects. Perhaps you only need one filter for show as well???

Guest sixpack2639

Try these people http://www.baldwinfilters.com/ I got the filters (oil and fuel) for my Buick from one of their distributors a lot cheaper than Fram and they had direct replacements for my filter numbers. I bought cases (12) each and only paid $5.30 per oil filter and $2.35 per fuel filter versus $11.00 per oil filter and $5.75 per fuel filter from Fram. Carl

• 10 years later...

post-76489-0-43760600-1455666395_thumb.jpost-76489-0-94765100-1455666433_thumb.jpost-76489-0-01593200-1455666468_thumb.jFurther to post #9 I have purchased a filter from Bob's Automobilia. It looks like my original but has a spin on filter inside.  Therefore I have the following filters for sale.  $25.00 each plus shipping from Vancouver Island.

1 Chryco oil filter red with decal

2 Atlas C20 filter gold with decal

3 Atlas C20 filter gold with decal

4 Champ C ½ red with box

5 Handi black with box

6 ??? grey with bracket

7 Atlas inlet and outlet on opposite ends

According to listings on ebay these filters replace L 93, Chryso 861028; Ace X1/2; PB ½ P; AC P21; Purolator PER ½; and WIX WF1/2.

According to the label on the Champion box this filter C-1/2 replaces: AC-W1, 3, 7, 10, 13, 21; XG1, 2; XJ1; XN1;, 2; XP1, 2; Purolator EA4; E1/2; EA1/2; EF1/2; SA1/2; SAC1/2, SNC1/2; Champion 303. Fram P1/2. Pic 25; C5; D5.

WIX WF5 white with decal.

• 2 years later...

Hello Tinindian, Do you still have any of these filters or the gold C-20 filters? Do they take the refill shown in your photo? How does the element open up? I have a similar filter on my 39 Chevy truck (Napa 1035) that is apparently discontinued...

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2005 at 5:57 PM, RO said:

Have been discontinued. Did a search on google for Wix 51035 and found quite a few folks looking for this filter. Someone suggested the filter cross refs to a Federated P8180 but could find no information. This filter attaches via brass fittings at the top and bottom. Anyone know a source or substitute? This is NOT a cartridge type, but the whole assembly is discarded after use.

Is this what your looking for ?  Canister with 1/8 inch pipe thread Inlet on one end, 1/8 inch pipe thread outlet on the other end.  It fits into many of the early filter mounting straps.

https://www.robertsmotorparts.com/oil-filter-throw-away-sealed-cartridge-1

Paul

Have any of you folks using this particular type filter ever cut one open? Are they paper inside?? If so, I would be afraid to use one. I've heard several stories of similar NOS sealed can filters clogging up oil passages/ruining engines due to deterioration of the never used, but very old paper elements inside .

I would be skeptical of this. How does paper deteriorate? Usually in UV light. I suppose it could be acid-bearing paper. I would be interested in the appearance of the blockages in those engines. Are they filter material or just dirt left by non-additive oil?

I thought I had read they were like cotton waste inside.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

There are some of this type of filter that are made in the far east that have had some internal debris come loose and get into the bearing journals. 

I supply these filters that were manufactured in the good old USA .  31-36 Auburn used them.

Oil Filter Pur O Lator.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...