Starting after dormant for a year

kingrudy

I have not started my '40 Buick in a year, as I have been working on the wiring, interior and various other items. Can anyone provide me with a checklist to perform before starting this car. It was delivered to North Carolina from California last December where I had in in a mechanics shop. The car had to be able to run and drive to load it on the truck to ship it to North Carolina. I drove it off the truck and 2 miles to my house last December with no issues.

Thank you 

If you like, you can pull the spark  plugs and crank it till you read oil pressure. Then follow the instructions above. That way at start up you motor won’t be dry.

• Like 1

Hopefully the brake wheel cylinders will still operate. After a year, mine are likely to seize the first time I apply them. The aluminium piston corrodes and sticks in the cylinder. The return spring is not good enough to pull the shoes back in. My cylinders have brass sleeves. I hope yours are OK. Just clean them up and bleed the system if this happens.

• Like 1

Be safe, remove the coil high tension wire from the distributor end and ground it. Crank the engine until you get a reading of oil pressure before firing. I have seen old mechanics remove spark plugs and pour some diesel in the pistons for a few days may be a tablespoonful, 2 or 3 times in a week before firing. I was told it frees up any stuck rings.  

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 12:33 PM, Spinneyhill said:

Hopefully the brake wheel cylinders will still operate. After a year, mine are likely to seize the first time I apply them. The aluminium piston corrodes and sticks in the cylinder. The return spring is not good enough to pull the shoes back in. My cylinders have brass sleeves. I hope yours are OK. Just clean them up and bleed the system if this happens.

I use s/s sleeves in all five cylinders and DOT5  fluid.   Haven't had a brake problem in 20 years.  

• Like 1