1925 DB Car No. plate stamp size ?

franklinman

Thanks for the help thus far guys.  That 1927 plate is different from the earlier style like mine.  I'd like for someone with a nice original to measure the height of their numbers and maybe post a nice clear photo that would give me something to work with.  I have access to a number of older stamp sets if I know the size.

Hi Mike, After seeing your photo, along with the prior one posted by JayG, I had pretty much come to the same conclusion.  The alignment and individual number spacing is simply too consistent to have been stamped using individual stamping dies.  I suppose that it's possible they had some sort of holding fixture that individual dies could have been placed in that would have held them tightly in place when stamped (think something along the line of typesetting).  I'm leaning more towards having my new plate engraved now that I've seen these two original plates.  I'm sure a local jeweler or trophy shop should be able to do the job. Thanks again.

Franklinman,   It was common for engine pad and body # stampings to be hand stamped using individual letters/numbers placed in a holder which keeps them in perfect alignment, which as Mike said does not look hand done. You can duplicate the exact stamp you need from this post. It is not cheap but the company I used about 30 years ago is still in business. (Superior Steel Stamp Co. Cleveland, OH.). Jay has provided the height (1/4") and from the posts above all numbers from 0-9 have been provided. All you need to do is copy these posts (gives correct font) . The stamp company can replicate these #'s and the A exactly . I know they can provide the individual #'s and a holder and maybe provide a single use stamp made from one block of steel? The additional info you will need (maybe Jay can provide measurement) is the overall length of the serial # and the distance between the "A" and the first number. Again, won't be cheap but  it can be done. Bill 

Edited by Texacola (see edit history)