1989 Buick CRT HELP!!!!

chrisleighh

I have an '89 reatta. the nicest car I have ever owned. I did my research before hand and knew about the crt for this year. I figured being 29 years old it would have problems, but it controls mostly everything so if it were to go out its a vegetable basically. lately the engine control computer alarm has been going off A LOT. I sometimes want to punch it. and, there's horizontal lines that took up most half of the screen. HELP! I don't want to pay for a new one because I wouldn't know how to program it, I'd rather just pay to get it fixed. Also curuois about how to take the crt out in the first place, and how to rewire it and reinstall it. Out of another curiosity, has any '88-89 reatta owners swapped the faux wood Riviera dash finish for a reatta? 

IMG_20180701_220809_213.jpg

chrisleighh,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I had a Graphic Control Center for a 1989 Riviera rebuilt a few years ago. At that time, I found the guy who rebuilt them on ebay. I have moved your post to the Reatta forum. I am sure that someone here can help you with your questions. 

Replacements are still available, and unless you are repairing/rebuilding there is no need to reprogram them.

As far as the message:

Go to climate 

Hold up and off at the same time

This will access the diagnostics where you can get the OBD1 codes and reset them. Resetting will ensure you get recent codes and not ones stored from years past 

Spend some time studying the Reatta Resources Guide above.  Read through the part about how to use the CRT and how to diagnose problems.

Google and YouTube are also your friends.

Also, when you ask questions here on the forum just address one question per post and be sure to include the year of your car.

You can do this with patience and some study.

We have all been there.

• 1 month later...

You may need to replace the cam magnet which is located behind the timing chain lower gear.  There is  how to in the Reatta Owner's Journal which involves super gluing the magnet in place.  The cam sensor senses the magnet as is passes by one its revolutions.

Since my 88 had 117,000 miles on it at the time I replaced the timing chain set too.  Took longer but I am happy with the results.

Woops, Ronnie beat me to it.

Edited by AZVET (see edit history)