Water pump rebuild with ceramic seal

stvaughn

I rebuild water pumps for 34-36 Auburn for the past 20 + years.  I buy the ceramic seals from McMaster Carr.  The impeller and the front housing both need to be machined to accept the modern seal. 

When installed properly, I have never had a return because the seal leaked.  

3 hours ago, 23hack said:

I find this repair most interesting. But how does this fit in a 20s or 30s water pump with external brass nuts for rope packing? OR is it only good for certain applications? 

31-33 Auburn has that type of WP use a lip seal for that application. 

4 hours ago, 23hack said:

I find this repair most interesting. But how does this fit in a 20s or 30s water pump with external brass nuts for rope packing? OR is it only good for certain applications? 

The machinist machines out the area where the packing goes and installs the seal. I found Dan Koehler’s name on another forum and called him. He explained what he did so I sent him my pump today. $300 bucks includes new bearing. Call him 920-221-0427. 

Steve

Steve, 

I have a friend with an early 1920's Buick.  He replaced the packing in his waterpump with a chemical resistant lip seal.  He said you can't use just the cheap rubber lip seals.  He put these in his water pump and has had no problems.  This is my plan for installation.  This is a 3/4" waterpump shaft for a 1925 Buick.  I am ordering the same seals that he purchased.  I am holding the seals in place with O rings and chemical compatible washers.  I will use a new stainless waterpump shaft.  He did not provide specifics on how he held his seals in place, but this is my plan.  No machining.  As I understand it, ceramic seals are nice, but a lot of waterpumps are going to a spring loaded lip seal.  I am waiting on all the parts.  Please let me know if you go this route, how it works for you.  I will let you know as well once I have this installed in my car.   Hugh

1466141599_WaterPump1925Standard-Leif.thumb.jpg.083c3a8ed38f643a56fc32f970b92c12.jpg1692130377_Waterpumppackinggland.thumb.JPG.be5dab9869f7693ba1e929482893f89f.JPG1005123983_Waterpumpseal.thumb.JPG.e0241a1abef08b73826b649d8e0be138.JPG

• Like 1