WE SOLD OUR 1938 BUICK

LAS VEGAS DAVE

Today we sold our 38 Buick to a friend of mines museum in Kansas. I loved it and we had fun in it. In any case I have some 38 Buick parts someone may be interested in. I will post them on Ebay if no one wants them on this site. I have a professionally restored radio which I want $900.00 for (less than the cost of the restoration) and another radio not working $200.00. I have three carburetors, all of them work fine and have been cleaned and tested on my car, $250 each. I have a custom made tow bar mount and trailer hitch mount that I used to tow the car to Los Angeles from Las Vegas and back with no problems. This is made to fit the 38 bumper exactly and will not scratch it. If the 37 has the same shape bumpers it will work for it also. I want $400.00 for it. I have the rarest piece of 1938 Buick literature I know of called BUICK FACTS 1938, its 135 pages and was issued to the salesman in the dealership. It answers every possible question that could ever be asked. It is broken up into about ten separate sections such as motor, transmission, suspension etc. I have never seen another one and this one is almost mint. I want $400.00 for it. I paid more than that for it. I have more but these are the most valuable. Contact me by phone 702 592 8052 or email  slavedave@cox.net. Prices do not include shipping and actual shipping charges will be added. 

Edited by LAS VEGAS DAVE (see edit history)

Dave, 

If you will send me an email with your ad text listing parts, maybe some photos, and prices for the parts, I will be happy to advertise these in the Torque Tube II for you.

One reason is I go back there every year and I can drive it around while I am there. Its beautiful back there, right near Joplin Mo. I only have a two car garage and 8 motorcycles and the Buick was to crowded. I also have a 67 VW which easily fits into the garage and leaves me space to work on a bike. I had a great time making it as best as I could and driving it. I was offered a great price and along with the opportunity to use it once in a while I couldn't refuse. It came from a museum and it now has only 25000 miles on it and will most likely be in a museum when I am long gone.

• Like 1

I'm kind of bummed that you spent all that time turning into such a great driver and now it's just going to sit in a museum unwinding. The benefits and expense of that overdrive unit alone should have made it museum-proof. Is it too late to pull the torque tube and rear end and trade it with another '38 owner? It looks like Lloyd Young overdrives, particularly for these cars, are going to become unobtainium. Heck, it's probably worth considerably more now than when you installed it.

But if you're happy with the sale and it's in a good home, that's OK, too.

• Like 2

This car was a low mileage, all original car from the personal collection of Louis Jenkins.  Louis would have been glad that you've had it out on the road enjoying it.  Now for a period of rest, but hopefully not too long.  Great car.

Edited by 61polara
spelling, what else! (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I needed the garage space as well as some other reasons. It was and is a great car. I did not give it away and recouped every dollar I ever put into it plus the purchase price. The labor was a labor of love and I got much enjoyment from doing it as well as driving it. I have sold many cars and motorcycles to the same museum and I am always welcome to drive anything they have when I am there. I still have not made a list of extra parts I have for Mat. If any of you is interested in a restored 38 radio with a non working spare let me know. I also have a custom made tow bar and trailer hitch for a 37 or 38, it was posted as one of my projects. I have three working restored 1938 Stromberg carbs left. I have a bunch of literature and a super rare 1938 BUICK FACTS salesman book. I also have the original center bumper guard that flips down so that the trunk clears. I think I have a new fuel pump or two and some 38 headlight reflectors. Eventually I will get around to making a list and taking some pictures and sending them to Matt for the magazine.