"Mini Ductor" Removes Stuck Bolts

MochetVelo

We used to do the same thing with a cheap $39 mini arc welder and carbon rods. The same thing for expanding aluminum castings to install new bearings in snowmobile and motorcycle engines etc.

Clamp the ground to the work and run the carbon arc around the frozen nut until it is red hot. Takes less than a minute. Plugs into an ordinary 110 v outlet.

Now they cost $89.99 Canadian, still less than the $500 Snap On job

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/arc70-ac-stick-arc-welder/A-p8538878e;jsessionid=J7U4yLuJttBeaTVvsOdjYpWf.pal-prod-com1

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

You can expect to easily triple the price on anything you put the SnapOn name on something. They have great tools but I couldn't justify the expense when there are other good tools out there that will do the job.

I'm confused, where does Mini-Ductor say Snap-On? Not related at all. Might be carried on Snap-On trucks, though, as dealers like things on the truck to sell on the handy dandy weekly payment plan that Snap-On does not make.

Mini-Ductors have been on the market for 10 or so years. The best part is, no flame, no sparks. Really helps in the safety of a shop. 

Yes, they are expensive. So is buying an Oxy-Acetylene outfit. Have you priced bottles recently? Not the cost of the refill, the cost to own or rent the bottles. 40 years ago lifetime rights were $300 around here. Then you had to buy the torch, tips, etc.  And then , what else in a "normal" collision shop would you need a torch set for? No body repair needs one to cut sheetmetal, nor does one weld by torch anymore for high strength steel or foil thin steel. Brazing went out with the twist!

The Mini-Ductor has been on my wish list for years! I agree, I need a friend to buy one so I can borrow it...