Twenties touring ID?

PFindlay

I think you are on to it. This picture show more detail of the valance. What is odd is the style of hood louvres and the construction of the fender edges. The mystery car's fender edges look to be an earlier style. 

I notice also, that the mystery car has less hub bolts than the car here.

Image result for "1919 lexington"

Thanks to each of you for the suggestions, but I don't think we've got it yet. If you look at the left edge of the picture you can see the spring setup and it's different from the Lexington. Also, the rear doors in the picture appear to come straight down in front of the fender, making for a rectangular rear door,;no cutout for the fender curve. The Marmon running board sweeps up at the rear as well as the front. 

The hood louvers are unique in that they are quite short, and low on the hood.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Peter

On 4/1/2018 at 2:09 AM, lump said:

That apron between the running board and the doors looks strange to me also. Nothing like my '23 Hupp, for sure. 

I believe you are seeing the frame and not an apron. I don't think it has aprons.

1923 American.jpg

Boy, the American shown above certainly checks off some of the boxes.  Here they are side by side:

Similarities:

running board swoops up

roof bow has a Y in it

doors and door handles

frame showing above running board

short, vertical hood louvers

design of rear spring showing at rear of car

Differences:

headlights and cowl lights

wheels (disks may have been an option)

American fenders appear to have more rounded edges

Could this be it?

image1.jpg

Yeah, I'm sure you're right, Keiser. Indeed, my Hupp doesn't have sheet metal aprons either. But that frame in the area between running boards and doors looks so... industrial, I guess. Maybe it's painted a lighter color? Maybe it's just the lighting, I suppose. 

This one is supposed to be a 1920 American. Compared to our mystery car it is very similar. It just has taller skinnier wheels. I suspect it might be earlier than 1920.

Searching more I see this pic turned up on a page on HAMB and I commented on it.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/photos-taken-before-ww2-history-in-black-and-white.483757/page-297

1920-American-Automobiles-4.jpg

I don`t think many others have seen it either? If this show the emblem ,just wonder how it really looks? It isn´t easy to find an "American" car when Googling!

Maybe someone else can post a photo of the American emblem!

Leif in Sweden.

1923-American-main1.jpg