carter bb1 carburetor,what does it fit

JustDave

im cleaning out my storage and getting rid of what I don't need,i ran across a carter bb1 carburetor model

it looks like y1-sc,my old eyes had trouble reading the brass tag but that's what I looked like,anybody know what the original application was

would like to sell it  to someone who needs it im in so calif    ,thanks  dave

I replaced the factory Stromburg Carb U-2 with a Carter BB-1 unit on my 31 Hupp 6 cyl.  It boltes right up & runs fine.  It should work with most updraft 6 cyl cars in the range of 1927 to 1932.  If I am wrong, somebody jump in & correct me!

The term "Carter BB-1" is about as specific as "15 inch tire" ;)

Carter records show 53 different of the BB-1 updraft carbs.

1932 was a good year for carburetors, as the Carter BB-1 updraft series, the Stromberg SF series, and the Zenith 63 and 263 series all debuted.

In 1932, Carter sold the BB-1 exclusively to Chrysler Corporation, and it was used on some models of Plymouth, Desoto, Dodge, and Chrysler vehicles.

In mid 1932, Carter noticed that Carter was selling way more BB-1 carbs than could be explained by attrition, and they found that many of these were finding their way on other vehicles. Carter then issued a group of aftermarket only BB-1 updrafts: 245s (S.A.E. size 1), BB1A (S.A.E. size 2), and 289s (S.A.E. size 3). These all had cast iron bodies, adjustable main metering jets, extended throttle shafts, clamp type throttle levers, and a link from the choke arm to the throttle arm that increased throttle angle (early form of fast idle) when the choke was activated.

Post WWII, the 245s was modified to the 245sd, the BB1A to the BB1D, and the 289s became the 289sd. The major difference was the change in bowl material from cast iron to zinc allow. The change to zinc also required a change from 3 to 6 bowl to throttle body screws.

The above carbs are the ONLY universal replacement BB-1's. All others were either O.E. or O.E. service.

And while a number of marine manufacturers used the low profile BB-1, the vast majority of BB-1 carbs found originated on the C.O.E. Chevrolet trucks (a.k.a. DD or double duty).

To the OP, based on your post, I would guess your carb to have originated on roughly a 1955 Chevrolet DD 235.

Many of the O.E. BB-1's have found their way to other vehicles, but the O.E. versions do not have the adjustable main metering jet, the extended throttle, the clamp throttle arm or the fast idle link; thus requiring additional fabrication of linkage, etc. to install, and rarely having the correct calibration. However, when compared with many of the other updraft carburetors, the superior design of the BB-1 compensates for less than correct calibration (which the original carbs couldn't supply anyway ;) )

I may have posted this in another thread, but during the 1950's and 1960's, there was a mistake in the Carter price guide (of which apparently everyone except Carter was aware). The rebuilding kit for the Chevrolet 235 BB-1 was priced higher than the carburetor!!! Thus, a customer would take a double duty into the dealer for a carburetor rebuild, the dealer would install a new carb, charging the customer for time to rebuild, the customer was happy with the "rebuild", and the dealer made money on both the carb and the labor. Win, Win, Lose for customer, dealer, Carter! 

Jon.

• Like 1