Help! Early 1900's Mystery

Hyfire

Hello!

I'm hoping that someone can help me out in identify the make/model and year of the car below?  Sadly, all my experience with cars has been with 1950's on up.

I found this photo in my Great-Grandmother's scrapbook and it's titled "Dad with his first car".  ANY HELP is REALLY appreciated!  Thank you guys!

Josh

1stcar.jpg

7 hours ago, rustyjazz1938 said:

1915 Studebaker? My 14 has a similar line but the headlights on my car are mounted lower...

A quick search found this one labelled as a 14, with the squared lower corners of the windshield, and with the lights mounted high.  No idea what is 'correct' though.

Image result for "1914 studebaker"

• Thanks 1

You guys have great eyes...

I've looked at a bunch of 1914 & 1915 Studebaker cars and it looks like different models have a few differences.  These differences seem to correspond to the model, not necessarily the 1914 or 1915 model year.  The most obvious are the rear door size, hood length, hood ornament.  I've seen a few of each year with high and low headlights, but the majority of factory images seem to have low for '14 and high for '15.  Did automakers back then stick to model year changes, or did they change over these kind of things during production runs?

I haven't looked at windshield differences... neat stuff!

Edited by Hyfire (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Yearly model changes were already a thing but not all manufacturers went for them. Through the twenties more and more went over to the annual model change, I think Packard was about the last hold out.

We always see the 1920s as the beginning of the "official" annual model change but I am always interested as how fast changes occurred in the early teens like this.  Trying to ID this car we bring up the difference in the windshields (less tacked on, more integrated and square), the headlamp mountings and how the cars transitioned from hoods meeting a flat firewall to being smoothly flared into a curved cowl.  All this happened over only a few years and even though there were lots more makes in this era they all copied each other and pretty rapidly, Todd C   

• Thanks 1

As a follow-up, another easy way to tell a 1914 Studebaker versus a 1915 Studebaker (at least the 4 cylinder cars, not sure about the 6 cylinder cars) is that there is a fill neck in the cowl for the gas tank on the 1914 cars. You can see it in the picture of my car...

20170627_201100.jpg

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:00 AM, rustyjazz1938 said:

As a follow-up, another easy way to tell a 1914 Studebaker versus a 1915 Studebaker (at least the 4 cylinder cars, not sure about the 6 cylinder cars) is that there is a fill neck in the cowl for the gas tank on the 1914 cars. You can see it in the picture of my car...

20170627_201100.jpg

Also. according to The Standard catalog, the 1914 cars were the last to use cowl lights as the 1915 cars had 'dimmer bulbs incorporated into the headlights'. I guess, like Buick and Dodge, Studebaker production went mid year to mid year and any changes may have been gradual.

It is interesting that the blue car here has the cowl lights but the 'newer style' (??) rounded edge windshield.

The 1915 Studebakers had a different style of top than the 1914. That's why I think there is a difference in the windshield. The square style with the the points on the top is the more modern style, while the rounded edge is the older style in support of the two man top and the leather straps used to keep it in place when the top is up...

The photos I have come from a book called "This is a Studebaker Year, Vol. 5"

20180310_194234.jpg

20180310_194328.jpg

FB_IMG_1520729389748.jpg