wndsofchng06

1954 banker's hot rod

Recommended Posts

and she's alive again!!! What did you do before turning it over?   be careful with those little 264's as far as valves sticking. In my experience and for whatever reason I have had more problems with valves sticking in 264's than 322's by far. Even after getting one running, a few days later the valves stuck and bent push rods. 

tried moving her yet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

and she's alive again!!! What did you do before turning it over?   be careful with those little 264's as far as valves sticking. In my experience and for whatever reason I have had more problems with valves sticking in 264's than 322's by far. Even after getting one running, a few days later the valves stuck and bent push rods. 

tried moving her yet?

 

Even though the motor wasn't stuck we filled up all the cylinders and put Marvel Mystery Oil in the valve covers. Turned it by hand with a ratchet on the crank several times then with the plug still out turned it with the starter a few times then put it all back together clean the points put a fuel tank on the front and started it up.  Couldn't move it at all the clutch is completely out you cannot shift into gears. No plan to replace that since I'm pulling the drivetrain anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2018 at 1:57 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

No plan to replace that since I'm pulling the drivetrain anyway.

 

I'm sure you've posted this before, but care to elaborate? Maybe a 55-56 322 with the sturdier 3 speed?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Beemon said:

 

I'm sure you've posted this before, but care to elaborate? Maybe a 55-56 322 with the sturdier 3 speed?

Yup.  Ive got a couple 56 322s one will be back from the shop shortly. Near-perfect motor I sent it to have it cleaned and have the MPI crack detection done to it and the associated heads. Also while at Buick Gardens I picked up a 56 6 bolt 3 spd transmission.  Hoping to sell the 264 and original transmission to put funds in the pot for the rest of the work required on this car.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Beemon said:

Did Buick Gardens hook you up with a Ansen shifter or did the well dry out?

Dont want one.   I like the column shift.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 4:59 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

Dont want one.   I like the column shift.

Hey Matt

    Enjoying watching progress on this project. Sold a large stick to a friend working on a 55 Spec 3 spd car.

 Told me one of the shift levers worked, but did have to add length to the other to use stock linkage. Good luck! Greg

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to go all in on this one Matt.  I know you have got to be feeling down about "Baby Blue", but you might just end up loving "Pimp'n Purple" a little more.  Buick love must endure.  Good luck.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now