1954 banker's hot rod

NC-car-guy

• 2 weeks later...

and she's alive again!!! What did you do before turning it over?   be careful with those little 264's as far as valves sticking. In my experience and for whatever reason I have had more problems with valves sticking in 264's than 322's by far. Even after getting one running, a few days later the valves stuck and bent push rods. 

tried moving her yet?

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

and she's alive again!!! What did you do before turning it over?   be careful with those little 264's as far as valves sticking. In my experience and for whatever reason I have had more problems with valves sticking in 264's than 322's by far. Even after getting one running, a few days later the valves stuck and bent push rods. 

tried moving her yet?

Even though the motor wasn't stuck we filled up all the cylinders and put Marvel Mystery Oil in the valve covers. Turned it by hand with a ratchet on the crank several times then with the plug still out turned it with the starter a few times then put it all back together clean the points put a fuel tank on the front and started it up.  Couldn't move it at all the clutch is completely out you cannot shift into gears. No plan to replace that since I'm pulling the drivetrain anyway.

11 minutes ago, Beemon said:

I'm sure you've posted this before, but care to elaborate? Maybe a 55-56 322 with the sturdier 3 speed?

Yup.  Ive got a couple 56 322s one will be back from the shop shortly. Near-perfect motor I sent it to have it cleaned and have the MPI crack detection done to it and the associated heads. Also while at Buick Gardens I picked up a 56 6 bolt 3 spd transmission.  Hoping to sell the 264 and original transmission to put funds in the pot for the rest of the work required on this car.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 4:59 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

Dont want one.   I like the column shift.

Hey Matt

Enjoying watching progress on this project. Sold a large stick to a friend working on a 55 Spec 3 spd car.

Told me one of the shift levers worked, but did have to add length to the other to use stock linkage. Good luck! Greg

• 1 month later...

Sorry I've neglected my thread. With the accident, job change, and family stuff I've just forgotten.  Now with the results of Bob's estate auction I'm in a crunch for extra space. Need to decide how I'll work that out. I may be shifting gears on this car a tad. After talking with Russ Martin, I might 4bbl and dual exhaust this 264 and still add the beefier 3spd. More to come soon, for now I have another big anouncement. Look for a new me and my Buick thread.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

I might 4bbl and dual exhaust this 264

Not a bad choice.  I love the 264 in my 51 F-1 truck:  55 engine, wcfb 4bbl, dual exhaust, 0.015 head gaskets, unknown specs on replacement cam.  Just a couple hundred pounds lighter than your Buick, near same rear gears (3.92 vs 3.90).  Research why a 55 engine has over 30 hp more than a 54 (cam, thinner head gaskets, pistons, heads?)

With more than double the hp of the flathead 6 or 8 it cam with, I need to have pointed straight and on a good surface before I romp on it.  Any more power and an upgrade to suspension and brakes would be considered.  I named it what Lamar and others said after a ride (holy sh--).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Well guys...  due to a bunch of "stuff" I'll probably be setting this car loose.   I hate it but something has to go.  I'm going to put the clutch in and the glass in the doors, shine her up and roll her on.  If anyone has interest I'm thinking of using BAT which requires they be the only site it's advertised on while the ad is active.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...