Need help finding hardware for these old advertising doors

BigWaveDave

Greetings. Hope everyone is having a good new year so far. I picked up these doors a few years ago and was hoping to track down a door handle for the door on the right. As you can see my wife was kind enough to measure the holes where the door handle used to be. The holes seen in the photo are exactly the same as the back side so I dont believe the handle that was there before had any sort of locking mechanism, just simply a handle to pull.  Any ideas as to where I might find an appropriate handle for the era? I have been told teens, early twenties. I have also been told they came off of a vehicle (unk make) but a chance they came off of a horse drawn wagon of some sort. I have tried scouring the internet for photos of vehicles from this era but not much luck with photos showing the rear so very hard for me to identify. Any help with a handle would be greatly appreciated as well as any photos showing similar doors on a vehicle. 

David

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

• Like 1

Dave, what are the dimensions of these doors? That could help establish their original application.

Looks like the Thomsen's Candies was a viable operation some time ago. They were produced by the Pacific Coast Biscuit Company (Portland, Spokane, Seattle, Los Angeles). This building ad is on the corner of NW 12th and Everett St. in Portland, OR.

Cargo depot photo is dated 1921.

Hope this info can help shed some light on your search.

Greg

HFmuA5d2Cc_JFJr6bOOXLzl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9.jpg

L87-1.20160-21.TIFF.JPG

68944333.jpg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

It will be time consuming, but one could take a trip to the Portland Public Library, and scroll through old newspaper microfilm, and look for vintage busy street scenes where a Thomsen's truck may appear, or perhaps stumble on a news article on Thomsen's, and/or vintage ads showing their fleet of vehicles.

Craig

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

It will be time consuming, but one could take a trip to the Portland Public Library, and scroll through old newspaper microfilm, and look for vintage busy street scenes where a Thomsen's truck may appear, or perhaps stumble on a news article on Thomsen's, and/or vintage ads showing their fleet of vehicles.

Craig

I would love to find a pic of the actual vehicle with these doors on it. That would even be better than finding the hardware!

Possible source vendor : Just off the plaza in Orange, Ca. 

Muff's  Antiques 

135 So. Glassell St.

Orange ,Ca. 92866

714-997-0243    

email photos to: muffs@earthlink.net     

OR

Vintage Hardware 

495 Main St. 

Murphys, Ca. 95247

209-728-2031 Phone

209-728-2320 Fax

Turn of Century plumbing ,possible source for hinges , latches , handles & attaching hardware items ...

Edited by 42319DB34 (see edit history)

I know its a long shot but I would like to eventually put them on a period vehicle and put on display in a shop selling confections. A retirement dream of mine which hopefully will come into play in a few years. For now they are on display with the rest of my candy memorabilia at home.

Edited by BigWaveDave (see edit history)

Maybe the active door held the inactive door closed.  Perhaps there were flat bars the ran up and down to pins that held both doors closed.  Turning the handle would retract both pins.  I don't see any indications of a latch on the edge of the door so it must have been fastened at the top and bottom.

It looks like there is a lip along the inside edge that would keep the unlatched door closed. Near the top of there are two screw holes that were most likely for a bracket that a rod or bar would go through. I presume there is  two similar screw  holes near the bottom

5 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

It looks like there is a lip along the inside edge that would keep the unlatched door closed. Near the top of there are two screw holes that were most likely for a bracket that a rod or bar would go through. I presume there is  two similar screw  holes near the bottom

After looking a little closer yes there are two screw holes at the bottom as well. Maybe a rod system that turns via the handle, locking into the inside top and bottom of the frame around the doors maybe??? Old car fan the door edge with the missing door handle has a metal strip along the whole side. The other door is all exposed wood, no cut outs. 

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

Edited by BigWaveDave (see edit history)

In GregLaR's post, number two above, you see signage on the Pacific Coast Bakery Company building the refers to "SnowFlake (sic) Sodas". The "sodas" are actually their soda cracker product. I found a picture on Google Images of their retail store with four somewhat newer vehicles out in front. Alas, the only one with script on the doors was related to the cracker business and not the candy. Most of us know that the swastika had a life before the Nazis commandeered it. It was even a part of Buddhist symbolism at one time. I only mention it because this company used it a great deal on their products. It's such a hateful sign that to see it on packages of candy or soda crackers is a remarkable shock.

cf81b84b7b1080a510f1315f885ebc0f

125px-Pacific_Coast_Biscuit_Company_Advertisement-6.jpg Image result for pacific coast biscuit company Image result for pacific coast biscuit company

Image result for pacific coast biscuit company

SwastikainamericanFoodindustry4.png

Maybe the Library of Congress would have some images that would be relevant to your search. I didn't try there.

Looks like they came off of a Sedan Delivery, like the one shown in the photo above.  Check with Hippo Hardware for those parts they may have what you are looking for since going there is like stepping into a museum.   They are located  at 1040 E. Burnside Street, Portland, Or 97214, phone number 503-231-1444, web site http://hippohardware.com.  Open M---Thursday----10am---5pm,  Friday ---Saturday----10am-6pm, Sunday 10am---5pm.

9 hours ago, Dennis said:

Looks like they came off of a Sedan Delivery, like the one shown in the photo above.  Check with Hippo Hardware for those parts they may have what you are looking for since going there is like stepping into a museum.   They are located  at 1040 E. Burnside Street, Portland, Or 97214, phone number 503-231-1444, web site http://hippohardware.com.  Open M---Thursday----10am---5pm,  Friday ---Saturday----10am-6pm, Sunday 10am---5pm.

Thanks for the link I will definitely give them a call today. 

11 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

In GregLaR's post, number two above, you see signage on the Pacific Coast Bakery Company building the refers to "SnowFlake (sic) Sodas". The "sodas" are actually their soda cracker product. I found a picture on Google Images of their retail store with four somewhat newer vehicles out in front. Alas, the only one with script on the doors was related to the cracker business and not the candy. Most of us know that the swastika had a life before the Nazis commandeered it. It was even a part of Buddhist symbolism at one time. I only mention it because this company used it a great deal on their products. It's such a hateful sign that to see it on packages of candy or soda crackers is a remarkable shock.

125px-Pacific_Coast_Biscuit_Company_Advertisement-6.jpg Image result for pacific coast biscuit company Image result for pacific coast biscuit company

Maybe the Library of Congress would have some images that would be relevant to your search. I didn't try there.

Thats a great idea thank you. And thanks for the pics. It is interesting this symbol was used. Little did they realize it would be a symbol of hatred years later

Yeah, truly strange. I guess that I've thought all of these years that "swastika" was the German name for this hated symbol. It seems to me now that the name predates the Nazis. Sorry to take your thread on a bit of a side trip, but I thought that folks m ight find it all interesting.

20 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

The Buffum Tool Company also used the swastika in their advertising.    Here is a link with information on the company and an explanation on the mark.

The first tool shown in the tool used to pull the Buick valve cages from the beginning to about 1925.

http://www.pcgenweb.com/pcgs/bios/buffum.htm

Additional information on the swastika.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Dave, I'm surprised that it didn't occur to me earlier to mention that you might find interesting info through your local or state history museums. I looked on line and found a link to your Museum of History and Industry there in Seattle:

http://mohai.org/

If they're anything like the nice folks at our own Minnesota History Center, they'll likely be delighted to help you find images and info about your doors and the company. In fact, if you don't find a great way to use or display your treasures, you might consider donating them to your local folks. 

22 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

American Indians also used the same symbol at least 100 years before the Germans.

Interesting! I think that I recall that when the symbol was used prior to the Nazis, it was sometimes used in a mirror image fashion. Like facing left, rather than right.

I inquired with a company today called Classic and Exotic Service out of Troy Michigan since their website showed some potential period handles. I asked them if I were to email some pics with measurements of the openings for the handles could they help me with possibly matching  a handle or two to fit the doors. This is their response:

"Everything we have is shown on our website. You'll have to compare for yourself against what is shown - that's the best we can do."

I guess the dollar amount wasn't enough for them to bother helping me out. Has anyone ever dealt with this company before? At any rate they will never get any business from me in the future. Anyway if anyone has a set of period handles with bezels that would fit I guess that is really all I need for now for display purposes until I actually put these doors on a vehicle. Then I will try and track down the rest of the hardware.  

I guess the dollar amount wasn't enough for them to bother helping me out. Has anyone ever dealt with this company before? At any rate they will never get any business from me in the future. Anyway if anyone has a set of period handles with bezels that would fit I guess that is really all I need for now for display purposes until I actually put these doors on a vehicle. Then I will try and track down the rest of the hardware.  

Yes, I am of the same opinion.  Classic and Exotic Service reminds me of Jack Kennedy & Marylin Monroe.