1920s gauge cluster, what is it?

Leif Holmberg

Should not be difficult, but these gauges are! (After scouring the internet) . Similarities to Buick & Chev but it does not seem to be them or their GM cousins.

As is often the case it looks like date codes on back of speedometer: "8-B-25", "9-B-25"  putting us at 1925 - 1926 ? It looks American made.

Too fancy for a truck, but i'll check.

17 hours ago, studeboy said:

I am still inclined to say they are what they call fifth design gothic gauges for the 1925-6 Standard six. My parts book lists these but has no illustration for this type of gauges. All were in an oval. 

Gothic design gauges are not in an oval panel and weren't used until the Introduction of the GE Dictator.

Actually according to the Studebaker Standard six parts book they used gothic design instruments as a fifth design starting at car # 1,399,413. These are not the same gothic design gauges as used on the GE Studebaker. They are quite rare. Not saying the panel is but the oval shape is similar.

How about pictures of the gothic designed instrument from your parts book? I have spent 2 houers on Studebaker dash gauges on the internet this morning and didn`t find anything other than the the ones similar to the earlier picture with the oval shape and rounded gauges.

Leif in Sweden.

Not easy to read ,but somebody "over there"probebly have a Studebaker with  those "gothic" gauges? after that # 1,399,413 serial number.

Studeboy I think you are a member of a Studebaker club? couldn`t you ask for a picture ?

A week ago  asked a Stude guy here in Sweden who owns a 1925 and 1926 but without luck so far.

Yesterday I spent another 2-3 houers to figure out what it`s,without any luck!

Leif in Sweden.

Not a 5th design panel.  By the time it was introduced, the panel had a full set of gauges - oil, water, amp and gas.

First design (post 18 above) had 3 gauges - oil, amp and gas and was the only one with a clock (missing in post 18).  Panel face is silver and glass enclosed.

Second design is referred to as an "embossed" panel in the parts book and in "This is a Studebaker Year vol. 6".  It also has a gas gauge,  ammeter and oil pressure gauge.  It is oval but does appear to be the only one without a glass face.  As far as can be determined it was black.  Very rare.

The third design panel face is black, has oil amp and gas gauges and is glass enclosed.

Fourth design - the one in my 27 Dictator  - has four gauges with the addition of a temperature gauge.  Panel face is black and glass enclosed.  

The upshot of all this long windedness is the subject panel is not a Studebaker oval panel because it has no gas gauge and the panel face isn't black or silver.

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

As can be seen, the oval section is an actual stamped part of the dash board, hence the "embossed" description by Studebaker. It is very rare with only 97 Canadian assembled cars being equipped with it and about 2,000 US built cars. Why it was changed so quickly is anybody's guess, but I would suspect possibly production problems or maybe sales resistance?

• Like 1