66-70 Carpet Source

JZRIV

Jason, you are supposed to cut your own hole for the dimmer switch when you install the carpet.......no carpet comes

with the dimmer switch hole in it that I have ever seen. On the grommet you are supposed to use your old one. There is only one other

source for carpet besides ACC for the old loop style 60's carpets and  that is the "OER" brand. No matter who the vendor is, they sell one of these two brands of carpet

as nobody else makes it. I have tried both brands and in my opinion ACC is the best of the two. Neither of the two is one fifth as durable

as original carpet when it comes to fade resistance or ability to avoid having the fibers unravel. Both of the available brands of carpet are very bad about the center hump being way too large, with OER being the biggest offender in this regard. I'll tell you a story about Original Parts Group that still makes my blood boil 8 years later.........About 8 years ago OPGI started announcing in their catalogs that they had contracted with the original

manufacturer of 60's General Motors carpets and that their's was identical to OEM and vastly superior to what everybody else was selling. They even

had a special name for their carpet....."RAYLON" I got all excited and ordered some new carpet to replace my 4 year old ACC carpet in my GTO that was fading and unraveling and guess what....... When the carpet came it was in an ACC box!!!!! Boy I was pissed and I'm still pissed

8 years later. The crap they were printing in their catalogs regarding their carpets should be grounds for a lawsuit over false advertising. If anyone out there has original carpet that is nice but just faded......dye it, do not replace it!

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

OPGI still uses those claims.

ACC is the only manufacturer left standing. Seems all the venders push the same source.

I think ACC is fine for a show car as it appears factory when new. Not good for daily drivers or Sun exposure.

Just a reminder that the ACC carpets don't have the factory correct edging atop the foot wells. 

One could always sew it on. What a task?

Agree on keeping original if possible which is exactly why I did that on the 66 resto. For me slightly worn original is better than new but incorrect. Though very often most have no choice but to replace due to condition.

Thanks for replies Gents.

I replaced my worn, salt stained, faded, original black 80/20 loop style carpet with ACC, that I got from a vendor at Carlisle, PA many. many moons ago.

It came with a new rubber grommet for the dimmer switch, but you had to locate and cut the hole, and install the new grommet in the new carpet.

The 80/20 replacement was a universal fit for GM full size cars. It was not expensive , easy to install, fit with very little trimming, and best of all it looked NEW!

It has weathered well, and still looks much better than the original carpet it replaced.

It also matched the original black, faded 80/20 loop on the lower door panel inserts perfectly, which I re-dyed.

A good investment made, way back in the late 80's !

I have noticed that the quality of ACC carpets has dropped off a lot since the 80's. I did buy one of their carpets back then that did not

unravel on me. Some of their more recent ones that I have used look like crap after 4 years even on a show car that is driven very infrequently.

Take a look at this web site http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=89&MakeId=3&ModelId=35 and see if it's an alternative.

When it comes time to replace the carpets on my '92, I will seriously check this company out.  Advantage = also available to purchase is carpet by the yard for my door applications. 

1 hour ago, DShip said:

Take a look at this web site http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=89&MakeId=3&ModelId=35 and see if it's an alternative.

When it comes time to replace the carpets on my '92, I will seriously check this company out.  Advantage = also available to purchase is carpet by the yard for my door applications. 

I have been thinking about ordering some of the trunk mat material Stock Interiors sells to see if it is similar to the original trunk felt. I want to make my own trunk mats using my original pieces as templates. I bought a trunk mat kit from another retailer and it was not a complete kit and one of the largest pieces was not correctly cut for a 68 Riviera trunk. 

Can I piggyback a thread about carpets and ask about floor mats?

I have some blue floormats that don't match the gorgeous blue loop carpet in the car ('64).  I really hate these floor mats.  They look like some horrible 1980s cheapo replacemnts that just dont go with the rest of the interior.

I'm on the ACC site now and they surprisingly don't have good pictures of the mats.  It's just a tiny pic of the pile of the carpet and none of the overall mat.  Am I missing something here?  Wouldn't it be nice to see at least one pic of the floor mats?  I know you guys are talking about carpet, but how's the quality of the mats?

I have been pleased with the quality of floor mats produced by ACC.  They were purchased several years ago.

ACC has been pleased to send out samples of the carpets/mats for color match on request.

On at least one occasion another vendor selling ACC products, shipped directly from ACC, has been less expensive than ordering directly from ACC.

Jim Vesely

BCA # 39477

ROA # 7437

• 1 month later...

Following up on this topic. The member I mentioned the original post purchased a 2nd set of carpeting directly from ACC. Here is his reply after receiving the 2nd carpet set. So apparently if ACC supplies OPGI as we think, there is a different quality level. Who knows.

"The first carpet kit I purchased was from OPGI and it was a joke.  I just purchased the second set from ACC and it was way better.  It has extra matting on the back for sound and water durability, the form is also a perfect aside of the trimming that is needed"

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)