alsancle

Pierce Arrow

David (trimacar) is correct that 1070440 is the "VIN" (actually, "serial number") of the car.  The 236S2276 is a body number:  2 is the engineering code for most 1933-35 8-cyl cars, 36 indicates 136" wheelbase, S = 5-p sedan, the first 2 (actually the body code would read 236-S2-246 on the tag) means "Salon" (deluxe) trim (s-1 means standard trim), and 246 is the sequential number among 5-p 8-cyl sedans (both standard and Salon) for 1933.

A *2005* master register of vehicles ever known to the Pierce-Arrow Society reflects the last owner being located in Toronto in the time frame 1997 and later.  In the comments section, "c. 1993 car restored as a 'rod' (mag wheels, etc)."  [What a shame!  A beautiful original car in your photos.]

The actual engine number recorded with PAS for this car was 236522.

Each year's PAS roster includes only those vehicles claimed by current members for that year.  Some owners choose not to list their cars at all.  Generally, only about half of the Pierce vehicles known to the PAS are listed in any given year's roster.

For 1930-38 Pierce autos, serial (chassis) numbers are seven numerals, engine numbers are six numerals. 1929-only engine numbers begin with A- but the serial is seven numerals like other years.

Greatly appreciate the information.  Ouch on the mag wheels, etc. Today we would not have painted the body - only the fenders (right front needed leading behind the headlight). But the body was absolutely beautiful. The rounded corners were just starting to rub through to the primer and there were traces of the original pin striping.  -0- rust car except for the one fender. Right rear fender had been filled a bit due to a crease. But lacquer was cheap and spraying was cheap ($75) - we did the rub out.

No wonder it is so hard to get the numbers straight on the older vehicles when they have to check the VIN - see copy of the Massachusetts registration.

IMG_0001.thumb.jpg.5027ae81be7e4b58a9fd1c1f621a1a8e.jpg

Glad David and I could help a bit. We can only hope that the "rodding" was limited to mag wheels.

BTW, the first two digits of each 1929-38 engine and serial (chassis) number identify the year, cubic inch displacement, and wheelbase.  This is a bit of an oversimplification, but it's easy to sort out if there's a different year engine installed.

Ah, I forgot about the body number, thanks G......yes, shame if it's rodded, hate to see any Full Classic so treated, and Pierce is dear to my heart so bothers me even more....