55 Headliner Question

Paul Falabella

I am installing a SMS headliner in my Roadmaster(not fun). This has the 3 three decorative chrome strips that are screwed into the lip of the roof. Do I need to use the original holes for the chrome strips? Got it in half way and it is a little wrinkly. I feel I can get the headliner more taught by moving the strips. SMS claims a little spritz of hot water will tighten up the headline as long as it in half way decent. True?

post-97046-0-79806200-1453835182_thumb.j

post-97046-0-01073800-1453835202_thumb.j

Not a motor trimmer and my headliner install was a napped cotton one, but I sympathize with you trying to get it neat

Kind of looks like my buicks one with lots of bows, the one I did was on a 60 phoenix, but I have heard of using heat to shrink the vinyl type into submission

Not sure spraying hot water onto it would work though and to be honest, I dont think I would want any liquid on a roof lining

If they were nice to you, they should have given you some off cut or extra for sun visors or whatever, see if you can stretch a ripple into a bit of that, then see if it will flatten with a hair drier (avoid using a paint stripper gun, bit to savage)

Heat lamps (like the painters use) might work as well, parking it in the sun can work as well, but I think hot sun is still in short supply on your side of the planet at present :)

Mick

If the headliner is cloth, steam will tighten it up, and sun and warmth will help, too. If it is vinyl, sprayed water and heat might help a little, but not much. Several years ago, I purchased a wallpaper steamer at a local hardware store. It's a simple thing, used to remove old wall paper. It cost less than $25 about 10 years ago, has a clear plastic tank into which you put half a gallon of water, then put the top on, which has a heating element and a hose like a vacuum cleaner has, and a funnel-like end. Plug it in, let it heat up, and in a few minutes steam comes out the end of the hose, and you crawl around inside the car and steam your headliner. It works fabulously well on fabric headliners, not so well on vinyl, because too much heat can cause vinyl to get soft and droop. It has a lot to do with how thick the vinyl is--whether it works or not.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

P.S.: After looking at your photos again, it appears to me that a lot of those wrinkles in the new headliner were from being folded up in the package. It may be too late now, but another trick is to let the new headliner sit out in the sun--unfolded--for a few hours before you install it, to get rid of those packaging wrinkles.

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Roger the fold wrinkles. My 55 Olds with a vinyl headliner has had a fold wrinkle for 10 years or so. Tried a hair dryer, letting the car sit in the sun etc etc. You have to know how/where to look to see it but it is still there...............Bob

Paul, that is painful to look at!  I too struggled with a (*&^%$% perforated vinyl headliner.  I thought it would be easy after helping a friend install a cloth headliner.  While you have it out compare measurements with the old one.  On mine there were significant deviations, that once corrected made the install easier.  I should have just bought the material and duplicated from my old one.  I should have had a professional install (actually I did ask some and they all had lumbago real bad at the time...should have been my first clue).

When I got mine I unpacked and laid it out on the floor of a spare room, but the cat got in and peed  on it.  Hanging on the fence outside I hosed it off...no wrinkles!  (don't try this)

Willie

Hummmm. I might try that with my Olds wrinkle. Would it be best to turn the car or the cat upside down?

Personally I think every single person who thinks they are a car restorer should be required to install at least one headliner.

If nothing else it will at least triple your vocabulary,  as in ..........* $)*&%@#&(..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

One trick an upholsterer told me was to start the install in the middle and work the wrinkles to the front and back. I did that on my 67 Impala that I restored and it worked great I ended up with no wrinkles at all with the vinyl headliner.

That is how I started. The center rod is the only fixed rod.The rest and the chrome strips have play. I ironed the headliner(from the back) and got 80/85% of the wrinkles out. Gonna give it another shot.Beats the alternative, $600 install at an upholstery shop.

post-97046-0-42839900-1454877618_thumb.jpost-97046-0-00125000-1454877635_thumb.j

Progress report:

SMS says don't iron headliner. Iron headliner and you will remove 80/85% of wrinkles. Silk/steam setting.

SMS and Buick says start from rear. Start from center. I went forward first, then rear. 

Pictures show nothing tightened up yet. I suspect tacking down edges and trimming excess will significantly improve appearance. Not looking forward to glueing front and rear.

Overall I'd rather remove undercoating in the driveway in August.

May start returning cans and have someone else finish this job.

• Like 1