Willie/Old-Tank and the Intricacies of a Nailhead

avgwarhawk

I would like to address a few members of this forum and Buick community that are books of knowledge concerning our pride and joy.  If it were not for the likes of Willie, Lamar and other members of this forum sharing their knowledge and experiences with the Buicks I'm not entirely sure these gems would be on the road today.  Today I would like to thank Willie for his Encyclopedia of the Buick he stores in his head.  You sir, have helped me mechanically numerous times and you don't even know it.  

Case and point:  

My 54 264 nailhead has had a intermittent smoke issue at the tailpipe. Not heavy.  It would come and go as the engine was idling.    I never noticed until my brother pointed it out as he was trailing me in his 60 Imperial while participating in a 4th of July parade.      The color of the smoke led me to believe it was running rich, timing off, points weak, plugs gap incorrect or just the nature of the nail.  A complete tune up was performed.  Carb was cleaned and adjusted.  Yet, the intermittent smoke persisted.  Not a huge bother as it was not much but....I'm particular with my cars and always work toward having them run as they should.   Understand this nailhead was rebuilt in 2006.  She runs great!.  Keeping up in traffic was never an issue.  She ate some oil but I figured that was normal.  After all, the manual states oil will be consumed if operated over 60 mph.   But, the smoke is coming as she idled in the garage.  It was time to figure out what is going on.  

After my usual keyword search on the internet I was presented this older post here at the AACA forum. 

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/254740-322-nailhead-burning-oil-more-when-warm/?hl=smoke

As I read through the post Willies suggestion in post #19:

In addition to looking for worn rockers and rocker shafts, be sure that if someone has "has been in there before" there are not rocker shafts installed upside down or rebuilt assemblies that shower oil. I pulled and inspected cylinder heads on a smoker only to later find that the rocker shafts were upside and slobbering excess oil on the valve guides. A rebuilt assembly had new shafts correctly installed, but the rockers had new bushings and a groove that directed oil to the spurt hole over the valve springs (in this case valve guide seals are necessary!)
What is the problem with Felpro gaskets? I use the higher compression 0.015 head gaskets on all of mine with no issues. The last time I checked Bestgasket had only the thicker head gaskets. The available replacement pistons are a compromise and already lower compression.
Willie          

This post started me thinking that something internally was wrong.  I did not think rings as the motor was rebuilt. Runs very well and never missed a beat.  It must be something the rebuilder missed. Something like a notch as Willie pointed out.  The intricacies of a nailhead that Willie understands.   This brings me to a photo I had taken in 2012 of the head that was ultimately the issue.  

This is the picture taken in 2012.  By all accounts it look normal:

IMAG0846_zpsybuwuqdy.jpg

When I went to investigate the manual after Willies suggestion to check the shaft that holds the rockers for notch in the proper location I found the illustration showing the cotter pin 180 as to what is shown in my picture from 2012.  Now, that does not mean a whole hill of beans as perhaps the rebuilder just installed the pin that way.  Just the way he worked.  As I looked for the notch, which was located in the rear of the shaft I found it was in fact upside down.  The shaft has been installed incorrectly.

The simplicity of the head made correcting the issue no problem at all.  I was able to spin the mounting brackets on the shaft 180 degrees thus allowing the notch to be on top in line with the bolts as the manual indicates.

This is the notch.

WP_20151220_003_zpslj8bbryx.jpg

This notch 180 degrees out or at the 6 o'clock position will prove to allow the oil in your nailhead to reach the cylinders and produce smoke at the tailpipe.   This simple yet intricate portion of the head rebuild is something that can and was overlooked.

When I had completed the spin of the shaft and reinstalled the rocker assembly note the position of the cotter pin:

WP_20151220_004_zpsri9dibhw.jpg    

Before buttoning up the valve cover I assured all push rods were in their seat.  The rockers all found their home on top of the valves.  As per usual, the 264 fired on the first turn.  All appeared(sounded) as it usually did.  I let the 264 idle high on the choke to warm as the smoke would appear after warming and at idle.   Much to my pleasant surprise the wafting smoke was not present any longer.  I took her out for a drive as I normally do on Sunday.  Returning to the garage I allowed the 264 to sit at idle.  No smoke present.  

What is the moral of this story? 

“Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”  

Randy Pausch

My experience with resolving this smoke issue is not what I wanted prior to reading the experiences on this forum.  For Willie, his experience is the most valuable thing to offer to Buick owners.  We can watch, listen, learn and pass along what we know.

Many thanks to Willie and the others on this forum who help those with repairing their pride and joy.  Your knowledge is invaluable.     

• Like 10

If it were not for the likes of Willie, Lamar and other members of this forum sharing their knowledge and experiences with the Buicks I'm not entirely sure these gems would be on the road today.

Dude, while I wholeheartedly agree with every good word you have to say about Willie, I don't know how my name ended up even in the same sentence with this guru of Buick mechanical technology Willie. Good gawd, many more such as Mike, Willis, Bob, Mud, and YOU to mention only a few would have been a better choice. :unsure: 

CanTANKerous as he can be sometimes, Ol Tank is surely one of the most valuable members we have here. It is great that you took the time to pull up the pictures and write this tribute to him.

• Like 4

Lamar, if it was not for your knowledge of 54's and the many questions of authenticity you answer for me I don't know where I would turn. Not to mention the bone yard of parts you are always willing to take the time to pull, package and mail off. You're dedication to the 54's is our gold mine(other 54 owners). Invaluable!

Willie can advise me how to repair'em. I can't accomplish the repair without your foresight to create a bone yard of parts, pictures and the like. Many 54 owners here would agree.

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Nevermind...I found another post of Willie stating there shafts are the same for both sides.

Who needs me anymore?

I am just an enabler...just because I am addicted, means everyone should be.  What is rewarding is see all of you step up and help.

There was a thread last year on horn contact problems...my diagnosis was wrong and I am to buy others refreshments in Allentown.  Anyone want to help with my obligations? :D

Willie

• Like 2

We need you!

As we all know...there is always two sides to the story.  We also know there are two sides to a V-8.  However, this story is the same on the passenger side head.  

At least we can say the individual who rebuilt the heads was consistent.  You can clearly see the notch at the 6 o'clock position.  

WP_20151221_001_zpst6rsyxn8.jpg

And but 30 minutes later....notch in the correct position.  Shaft as it should be:

WP_20151221_002_zpsxjvgpjgr.jpg

In some posts in this forum, a good while back, as Old-Tank described his assistance with 5563 in getting his '55s Nailhead CORRECTLY rebuilt.  How the original machine shop was tending to build it "as a Chevy V-8", not specifically as a BUICK Nailhead V-8.  After issues arose, Willie orchestrated getting the engine to a "known good, Buick-knowledgeable" machine shop.

After everything was in the car and operational, 5563 reportedly took the car "around the block", squealed the tires, and came back with a wide grin on his face.  All was well!

At the South Central Regional Buick meet we held in Waxahachie the next year, I had the pleasure and honor to present Willie and Mike with Achievement Awards.  Wiliie for his "mentoring" , knowledge-sharing, and help of a younger member of the BCA discover the joys of working on Buicks and doing it RIGHT.  Mike also received a similar award for sticking with it until it was "done right" and everything was as it should be.  In their respective activities in getting Mike's '55 Special restored/rebuilt "to spec", BOTH made great contributions to the Buick Hobby AND drive their cars "everywhere".  That was then and things have progressed onward and upward every since!

Willis Bell  20811

Chapter Director, North Texas Chapter

Chapter Co-Director, South Central Region, BCA  

• Like 1

Thanks for those GREAT pictures, avgwarhawk!  Easy to see how a technician could overlook those notches when the heads were disassembled . . . IF they didn't know about them before-hand.

Thanks for those kind words, Lamar!

There are many in here who have volumes of information to share, which these forums facilitate very well.  If such information doesn't get passed down, it vanishes.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a GREAT Happy New Year!

NTX5467

What is strange is both were upside down as well as the cotter key.  Perhaps he felt he had a 50/50 chance of installing the shaft assemblies correctly or he logically though the holes should be at the bottom to assist draining.   We will never know.    But for now, the valves are doing their dance.  There appears to be no harm.

• Like 1

The forum post I mentioned above . . . Old-Tank provided me with the URL for that post, which I thank him for.

Title:  350 Swap In a '55     Date:  December 1, 2003

URL: 

forums.aaca.org/topic/47770-350-swap-in-a-55/?hl=9626quot%3byou+should+have+seen+the+smile%26quot%3B#entry190664

When re-reading it, it still makes me smile!

Willis Bell  20811

Add me to the list of those providing kudos to Willie, Lamar, et. al.

Willie's Internet site has saved me numerous times.  I was able to stop the leaks in my rear shocks using his method; before overhauling my engine his remedy for helping the rear main seal using a wire helped stem the flow; and his countless "try this" suggestions have proven effective most of the time.

Thanks Willie, Lamar, and fellow Forum members.