News for those of you who "despise Chinese junk."

RivNut

So far, I heard this is a rumor to keep the UAW in check, but it makes sense from a business sense, but I am sure "The Donald" is not a fan.  But, I am  sure GM/Buick is keeping their options open.  As the Chinese have noted with the pocketbook, Buick is building a fine car over there, and they have Chinese on their design staff over here and in China.  It is a Global Economy, despite what the politicians say, and do.

John 

There's no denying that GM (and others) operate in a global manner and environment.  Kind of comes with that "multi-national" territory.

The real issue should be "What specs and quality standards are the product built to", not specifically where it's built. In the 1990s, when I opened a GM/Delco box with a switch or sensor in it, there could be a piece of paper in the box stating its "Country of Origin" (i.e., Manufactured in Romania ).  When the customer would see that, their next question would be "Why's that different from what I can get at the auto supply?"  Especially when the GM part looked identical to the auto supply part!  My only reply could be "We know that THIS one is built to GM's specs".  If the price was close, I'd make the sale on THAT point alone.  Not that what NAPA or others sold would be a bad part or not work "as designed", but knowing that the GM part met GM's specs and should work "as intended".

Back in the late 1980s, when reman Mass Air Flow Sensors were first being remanufactured, GM issued a TSB to the effect that some of the reman operatives might not be making the same quality (as OEM) solder joints in their processes.  The reason this is important is that a little extra resistance in the solder joint could cause the computer to receive "modified signals" from the MAFS, which could affect the fuel curve map AND affect exhaust emissions, much less vehicle performance.  During that time, GM only had new MAFS for sale, but several years later, there were GM/Delco reman MAFS . . . built to GM specs and performance standards.

ONE observed issue has been, for vehicles, that vehicles designed (initially) for non-USA markets, when added to the USA product mix (from a non-USA/North American plant) don't seem to measure up to the same levels as those vehicles built in North America.  Usually, "quality of assembly" issues.  Just what I've noticed from the variety of warranty claims on such vehicles.  It could probably go the other way, too?

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Well, considering She Who Must Be Obeyed finds the Enclave bulky, and I don't particularly care for the "squashed" look of the Encore, I welcome an addition to the product lineup between the two. Assembly location is less of a concern to me as is its "Buick-ness". I recently drove a 2015 Chev Spark with 6000 km on it as a service loaner and it was loud in the cabin and you needed to wait for the delay from the go pedal to the go. Buick is a much quieter car.

(Sounds like the turbo wasn't spooling up fast enough?)

Earlier in the year, I drove an Enclave for a few nights (borrowed from our service "loan car" fleet). It was very nice, but I was turned off by the "leather" not feeling like "leather of old" (same reaction to the "leather" in the new Regal, unfortunately).  The other "downer" was the impact harshness in the suspension (Bridgestone tires, as I recall).  The third night, I got a "sibling" Chevy Traverse LT.  As for "feel", the Chevy was superior in ride and impact harshness (General tires) and, unfortunately, I felt more comfortable in it (plastic and all).  How the Chevy felt was how I would have hoped the Buick had felt, but it wasn't that way.  When I checked, each of the siblings (Traverse, Enclave, and GMC version) had different shock absorbers, which seemed unusual, all things considered.

If the C-pickups are any indicator, the 1/2 tons with 20" Continentals ride and handle better than the similar Bridgestones.  Perhaps the Enclaves with Continentals (if they do use Continentals on that vehicle) might feel better?  Or should they just go directly to Michelins?

To me, a Buick suspension should be firm, but well-composed in normal and "spirited" driving, plus responsive steering.  Impact harshness should be minimized, as would related tire noise coming through the vehicle's structure.  The "ride" portion should be doable, but with the newer and much stiffer unit-body construction used today, the noise part can be more difficult to accomplish.  And, of course, tire choice should maximize fuel economy!

NTX5467

Hey Willis, what model year was that Enclave? 

I find the same issues with the 2013 Regal GS we bought.  The summer tires ( Pirelli) which are the low profile tires on 20" rims are very noisy inside.  I really worry about any potholes and try to be proactive driving around any visual deformity in the road. People behind me probably think I've been drinking cause the roads around here are in sad shape.  But when I put on the Hankook winter tires on 17" rims, the car quiets right down, and it rides a lot better too. 

It's so annoying we have been considering trading it in. 

This is after coming from an 06 Lacrosse which was so quiet, I know for a fact that it sold a friend on a new Lacrosse. Now he reports the same issues as my Regal, in his 15 Lacrosse. 

I know my Regal was meant to be a sports car, and I love it for just that reason.  But I am not a fan of these larger rims and rubber band thick tires.

JohnD, that was about a year ago.  Suspension "compliance" is handled much differently than on even the last-gen of fwd cars.  PLUS, the very stiff structures needed for those 5-star safety ratings have their own resonant frequency (which some tires are close to).  The height of the sidewall is important, too!  Plus the rubber compound and internal structure. NOT to forget the tread depth, either!

PM en route.

NTX5467

Chinese products are everywhere today.  All are not "junk", as the resulting "junk" depends upon the design/build specs "it" was built to.  How long has it been since the j-word was used to define USA-built products?  When the Japanese were deemed to be the "higher quality" products in the product segments they now control?  Shopped at Macy's (private-brand items "Made in China") or WalMart lately?

I've observed that "junk" has evolved from "worthless/used up/worn out" or "lacking quality" to become something which many just don't like (for undisclosed reasons) or is not worth spending money on (for poor durability reasons).  Plus the slang usage.

Remember the "tin car toys" which replicated early-50s Buicks?  To me, back then, they were "not what I wanted" and they were not nearly as substantial as other toy cars of that time, even the plastic ones.  But they were also at a much cheaper price point too.  For some customers, they worked as a generic toy car . . . but not for me.

In more recent times, we've experiences a large number of "Made in China" car parts.  They can look good, but can be of inferior-to-USA-spec parts which cost more.  Kind of like the old "$299.95" Chevy 350 V-8 short blocks I used to see at some auto supply stores.  They'll be good for about 30K miles, but they fit the needs of "value conscious, not going to have that car next year"  and "used car dealers" customers.  Kind of like the name-brand drive belts which jobber-priced at $2.99 each . . . that would last a year, but then needed to be replaced as the vehicle owners still had that car they didn't want to spend any money on, a year later.  OR stretched after they'd been run a little while!!

Got to be "a good consumer".

NTX5467 

The etymology of the word junk comes from the French language. How about a new Buick Arnode; sounds kinda techie.

On the picture of the hood ornament, how do you say Mayflower in Chinese? Oh, wait, that company went to the pentastar emblem, not a good move. I don't think there are any left in Salem.

Bernie