heater hoses

gmdbhornet

• 2 weeks later...

In general, my gut suspicion is that (trying remember to what I remember seeing on similar GM cars back then) they were ribbed. Rather than the GM logo (as many repro parts vendors sell for Chevrolets, typically), they might also have a GM part number stamped on them . . . possibly even a date code in the "pattern repeat" stampings.

Some of what the vendors sell as "correct" are not what I remember actually being on the cars (from looking at them at the service station, getting service work done) back then (after they had a few years of wear on them). Or what the vendors have might have been on only ONE model year or from ONE batch of hose from a particular supplier, which somebody perceives as being accurate for ALL similar vehicles (usually Chevrolets).

As EACH GM division had certain autonomy of what they did back then, the hoses which might have been used on Chevrolets might not have been what Buick used. Same supplier, possibly, but different stampings and such to acoomodate what each GM division wanted on their hoses.

You might consider looking in the particular year's Buick Chassis Service Manual for pictures of the hose (in engine pictures and such) or sales literature. That might give you an idea of what was on the vehicles.

IF you want to be really picky . . . you'd make sure the GM part number stamped on the hose was accurate for your particular model year of Riviera (rather than for some other model year of GM vehicle). Or a superceded number from a different model year. I believe there are some restoration parts vendors that will part number and date code stamp hoses to your specs . . . if you know what the specs might be.

While there were particular build specs for hoses and other things procurred from outside suppliers, if supplies ran low (or suddenly became depleted at the assembly plant!), alternative supplies could have been "gotten" from other sources to keep the assembly line moving. This might explain some unusual hoses on production vehicles, sometimes.

Others might have more definitive information.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I know of a very low mileage original '63 Riviera that still has the factory hoses on it. I can see what they look like, if you want, but I can not say if they still looked like that in '65. Let me know if you are interested.

Yes, ribbed. I have several pictures of the ribbing. I will post the best example. Opposite the ribbing seems to be a faint white stripe painted on the hose (not visible in the first picture but visible in the second photo).

HTH.

post-48121-143137967736_thumb.jpg

post-48121-143137967754_thumb.jpg

Does anybody know where I can get a chrome heater hose that will fit the 401. In the past i have bought rubber hoses that were cheap and always developed leaks even tearing while I have been driving. Looking for a high quality part that will look good and do work well?

John

1965 Buick Riviera Custom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTX5467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many people get "excited" about the ribs on the heater hoses, but the vacuum lines usually also had ribs on them too . . . usually about three ribs together. Or if they were smooth, a color-code stripe of sorts.

Enjoy!

NTX5467 </div></div>

Yes, all of the vacuum hoses on my '63 had a colored stripe painted on them, to help trace them. It is a fairly broad stripe and the paint has a dull powdery look to it. I have not yet figured out how to reproduce this effect on new vacuum hoses.

I know that the cars at the ROA meets are peer judged, and the judging does not use a points system. Are ribbed hoses and vacuum lines something critical at a BCA meet? If so, what kind of point deduction is there for not having the correct hoses.

If Buick were using the same Packard spark plug wires that some of the other GM marques were using in the 50's and 60's, those wires would have date codes on them. I haven't seen anyone make mention of that. Nor have I seen anyone interested in finding plug wires with the proper boot on the plug end for the nailhead engine. There was a flange toward the end of the wire that more or less sealed the entire spark plug in the head. Chrysler used a similar boot on there Hemi motors to keep debris out of the hole in the valve cover.

Are we sometimes looking too closely at only one thing and ignoring the big picture? Do we need a bunch of new cottage industries, or (heaven forbid) someone to take some ideas to the Chinese? Are we willing to pay the price for true originality. I know that if I had access to color coded vacuum lines, it would make it a whole lot easier to replace them on my '63; but I need to weigh the cost against the end result. Maybe I could make a little jig I could draw my vacuum lines through that would apply a paint stripe to them. Hmmmmmm?

Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RivNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<snip>

I know that if I had access to color coded vacuum lines, it would make it a whole lot easier to replace them on my '63; but I need to weigh the cost against the end result. Maybe I could make a little jig I could draw my vacuum lines through that would apply a paint stripe to them.</div></div>

That is sort of what I did. I painted the different color stripes on lengths of hose before I started. As I replaced each section of vacuum hose, I used new hose with the same color stripe and cut to same length with razor knife. That really helped figure out how that mess of vacuum hoses coming out of the heater-A/C control box is supposed to be connected up.

What I did is very functional, but I never could get the stripe width on the new hose the same as original. The brush tip was too narrow. I'm thinking of trying a roller type applicator, like you see some guys do pin striping on cars with. If I hold the roller vertically in a holder and pull the tubing through, it should lay down a stripe.

Jim,

Great idea on the striping tool; they're called Beugler tools. They would work really great if you could steady them and the hose so there would be a consistent width and thickness to the paint. When I go to the U-pull-it yards here in KC, the guys at the counter use some kind of paint pen that puts down a quick drying even width stripe they use for marking parts going out. I'll have to check out what they're using.

Ed

Striped/ribbed vacuum hoses are available from Corvette and Camaro sources for the extensive vacuum systems on the hideaway head lamp doors on both these marques. I remember using a set when refurbishing a Corvette I've since sold.

Not sure if the hose sizes (ID) and colors could be used for Rivieras, but it would definitely be easier than diy painting. Here is an example: http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/vac-hose.html

Going through the entire vacuum system on my 64 is on my list of things to do. One question I am still wondering about is how to replace the hoses which go through the firewall rectangular rubber block. I believe these hoses are smaller ID than those shown on the Vette website.

alex

roa 11550

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alex bonino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Striped/ribbed vacuum hoses are available from Corvette and Camaro sources for the extensive vacuum systems on the hideaway head lamp doors on both these marques. I remember using a set when refurbishing a Corvette I've since sold.

Not sure if the hose sizes (ID) and colors could be used for Rivieras, but it would definitely be easier than diy painting. Here is an example: http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/vac-hose.html

Going through the entire vacuum system on my 64 is on my list of things to do. One question I am still wondering about is how to replace the hoses which go through the firewall rectangular rubber block. I believe these hoses are smaller ID than those shown on the Vette website.

alex

roa 11550 </div></div>

I've seen vacuum connectors which take you from a larger ID hose to a smaller ID hose. If you can't find those, then I bet you could make the hole larger where the vacuum lines go through the firewall.

I'm changing my vacuum lines on my '65 and I attach one hose at a time and wrap it with colored tape at the control panel. Any other way is too confusing.