Buick-McLaughlin 1920s tail light

Leif Holmberg

This`s my 1924 4cyl.Canadian Buick tail light,I don`t have this type of tail light in any of my US parts books,therefor I`m quite sure they are Buick-McLaughlin type.

Earlier I also wondered why all the Australian 1924-1925 Buick:s had the front licens bracket below the head lights,(instead of the between the head lights as US built 1924-1925 Buick:s) ,now I know that the Buick-McLauglin had that licens bracket below the head lights 2 years earlier than US built Buick:s.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-14314293389_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143142933903_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My Australian Holden bodied 1924 24/34 roadster has the number plate bracket in the centre of the headlight so perhaps it depended on what parts were shipped with the rolling chassis. Also the rear light is the plain unit with the lens held in with a circular wire clip.photo_2.jpg

image0160_thumb.jpg

And here is that extra bit of Buick information that you can only get here:

In 1923, Buick produced its 1,000,000th vehicle. For whatever reason, at that time, they moved the single tail lamp from left of center on the rear spare tire cross bar to the center position.

So, when following a mid 20's Buick, in an instant you will now know if it is a mid 1923 or earlier Buick (left) or a mid 1923 or later Buick (centered).

Edited by Brian_Heil
typo (see edit history)

1924 Buick-McLaughlin tail/stop light ( Australian delivered )

I think Buick had factory fitted stop lights long before 1928. Four wheel brakes were introduced in 1924 and in this country a red triangle had to fitted to the rear to warn other motorists of the superior stopping capability of cars with 4 wheel brakes.

post-31244-143142934332_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143142934336_thumb.jpg

post-31244-14314293434_thumb.jpg

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

the ebay taillight is exactly the same as the original one on my 25-45 McLaughlin that is mounted on a cast bracket off the left rear frame rail. The bracket also mounts the license plate and the light has a clear lens for the license plate light. The car has a brake light switch. I bought the one off ebay as I have been looking for a lens ever since I acquired the car in 1977. I displayed the car at Expo 86 in Vancouver BC using a lens that I borrowed from Stan Reynolds of Reynolds Museum in Wetaskiwin Alberta. That lens came off of a 1924 McLaughlin Buick in original condition. I am confident that 24 and 25 large series buicks had the same tail lamps. Leon

Edited by garnetkid (see edit history)

Here is a better photo of the rear light . It has a red glass lens and cut outs top and bottom with clear plastic in to illuminate the number plate and Buick badge. Whilst on the subject of rear lights etc. can anyone tell me what the holes in the side of the spare wheel brackets are for . Is it for a twin spare mount ??

post-97505-143142935113_thumb.jpg

post-97505-143142935092_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just wonder if there has been a McLauglin logo in the lower glass lens on this tail light.Maybe someone has a Buick-McLaughlin parts book from those years that can put a picture here how it looked original.Glad to see that this tail light came to a Buick-McLauglin owner in Canada.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143142939351_thumb.jpg

Just wonder if there has been a McLauglin logo in the lower glass lens on this tail light.Maybe someone has a Buick-McLaughlin parts book from those years that can put a picture here how it looked original.Glad to see that this tail light came to a Buick-McLauglin owner in Canada.

Leif in Sweden.

Leif, the bottom lens does not have any writing in it, just the contoured lines that you can make out in the ebay broken lens. Leon

Leon is indeed correct. (Hi Leon)

I have the 1925 McLaughlin parts manual and this is the correct taillight.

post-32273-14314294581_thumb.jpg

You can also add standard factory bumpers and a walnut faced dash which supports McLaughlin's take on the Buick slogan of “Better cars are being built, and McLaughlin is building them.”( Sorry Terry!!!)

Here is a link to the Youtube video af a 24-35 in Quebec showing the same taillight starting at about 2:58. The really weird part is that the stop light portion was originally amber and apparently some of the aftermarket lenses were green! Not confusing at all!!!

The shock absorbers are not stock!!

Brad

Brad and all, your research and documentation just nailed this light as belonging to a McLaughlin-Buick. It just make sense that if 'STOP' is in the lens, then there must have been a brake pedal actuated switch to light things up. I do believe however that someone told me, or I read it somewhere, that the Flint-built Buicks did not come with a factory installed brake light until the 1928 models. You guys are talking about a 1924 McLaughlin-Buick here and it has this light that was on it. This means that the 1924 Mclaughlins must have had a factory brake light. Am I understanding correctly that this is what you are saying here? As I said earlier, you guys are a lot sharper on the McLaughlin models than I am.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Terry

I have to confess that I am assuming that the 1924 had the same taillight . No factory literature to support it like I have for the 1925 but that is what I have been told and the car on Youtube seems to support it. .

As for brake light switch , its pretty rudimentary. Here is a picture of a 1925 McLaughlin showing the brake light switch. location. It is sitting on the brake cross lever but actually screws to the floor board above. It's pretty simple with a bellcrank that moves a rod that closes a contact. Completely unsealed , I'm wondering how long they worked for in that location! It's actuated by the wire to the brake pedal. I can try to find where I've placed the switch and post a photo if anyone is interested.

Brad

post-32273-143142947188_thumb.jpg