The 2016 Buick Cascada Thread

38Buick 80C

Well, its about time Buick came out with New 2 door rag top. I like it, and I'm in. :cool: They are not bringing back 1915 Buicks like the now 100 Year old Chartreuse Lady either. Good thing in my opinion. ;) Dandy Dave!

Guest bkazmer

I was at NAIAS today. It is very much in the line started by Solara and followed by G6, Sebring. Competitor with Chrysler , and it is an old fart convertible like the Chrysler. OK except for really awkward lines where the cowl, A-pillar, and belt meet. The Avenir big sedan has some interesting interior ideas

Guest my3buicks

Can't wait to have one in my garage, I am not an old fart yet. It's a niche market, it's to draw some buyers to Buick that would not typically buy Buick - it should do that nicely. I posted it on my Facebook page, and it has had overwhelming positive comments, of course 90% of them are gay, which explains it as we have better taste than most and can tell what works well together and what doesn't. lol

When I was much younger I got a magazine with an article on a new car that I just had to have.

post-46237-143142936539_thumb.jpg It was even addressed to me.

post-46237-143142936541_thumb.jpg So I rode my bike up to the Buick deal and got the brochure to study. Fifteen years later I drove the car to my Mom's house and retrieved the brochure to put in the car.

Stuff like that does happen.

Bernie

Guest my3buicks
Dale

Outside of Kaith Bleakney, I don't see too many folks overly enthusiastic about the Cascada.

Actually if you take a piece of paper and go back through the posting and do a tally it is pretty much 50/50 - if it was an overwhelming yes vote, It would scare me as it would tell me it was honestly going to flop as it would not appeal to the target audience or scare me even more that I was a stuck in one mindset old fart.

Guest bkazmer

Spot on comments about the practical need to share platform, but the need to differentiate sufficiently to justify the cost differences and appeal. The performance and handling of the Opel platform the Cascada is based on are tepid - that's why I consider this a Chrysler competitor rather than a halo car. Too soft and too slow. The Mini-Touring Superleggera roadster (real roadster, not convertible coupe) was more of a "wow" but would need some work to be produce-able.

Alfa had the "car guy" booth (and sorry ladies but gender exclusion intended) - three cars from their museum collection, Nuvolari artifacts, 4C coupe and spider, and oh my the booth staff. The aisle was obstructed by the crowds there.

For Buick it is as important to watch the Beijing show booth - China is the reason why Buick lives and Pontiac died. Spare me the jingoism, look at the sales.

Lincoln is crying for a platform that isn't used on a Ford that costs much less, but I don't see where it could come from.

Ford has some great products, Lincoln doesn't need to be FREE, they will do just fine, YOU WATCH..

Ford just WON USA truck of the year for 2015. I don't own a Ford, but several family members do, and like/enjoy their cars/trucks.

Every mast produced car company over the years has had some issues, I will REMAIN loyal to Buick.

Dale in Indy

Guest my3buicks
Ford has some great products, Lincoln doesn't need to be FREE, they will do just fine, YOU WATCH..

Ford just WON USA truck of the year for 2015. I don't own a Ford, but several family members do, and like/enjoy their cars/trucks.

Every mast produced car company over the years has had some issues, I will REMAIN loyal to Buick.

Dale in Indy

The real news is they did not win truck of the year with Motor Trend, which carries more clout, the new Chevrolet Colorado won that award.

Guest bkazmer

Local dealer let me use a MKZ for the weekend a bit ago- lovely interior, nice exterior, engine adequate torque but not impressive. But the handling was econodriver FWD all the way - OK in a Fusion, not in a Lincoln unless you are going after The LexusCamry ES. Since Ford sold off their acquired lux and near lux divisions, their platform choices are fewer. I think I'd rather see them stretch the IRS Mustang platform for a Lincoln.

I have said several times since I first read of the Cascada that I will buy one as soon as they are available. Unfortunately due to a very serious personal situation, I may not be able to afford it. I will at least take it for a test drive and examine the conditions at that time.

As much as I might not like to say this, but it appears that Lincoln has painted themselves into a "luxury car-based crossover" market segment as their ONLY claim to fame. No normal cars anymore. They've taken a beating in the livery market (in which the Town Car seemed to excel!) by Cadillac. It's taken them a few years to recover, if the lengthened crossovers are really a "recovery". I feel this is unfortunate!

The Cascada could be for Buick what Camaro is for Chevrolet. Doesn't have to be fast or quick per se, but have enough responsive power to not be underpowered and still look neat. More about "the profile" rather than "burned rubber at stop signs", I suspect. The prior-gen (pre-Daimler) Chrysler Sebrings did this for Chrysler.

Ford has some neat products, but it increasingly appears that their "signature" products are Mustangs and F-series pickup trucks. Other than that, the nameplates and models can change "as desired" with not much apparent product continuity.

Pontiac was an "easy kill". There were NO unique-to-Pontiac models, just other vehicles re-badged as Pontiacs. The GTOS has promise, but ended up with mixed reviews. Not to forget the massive supply issues and customers not knowing when their GTO might arrive (dealer allocations were part of this, too!). G8s should have been a "Chry 300 competitor", but that didn't happen (quality control on the G8s was an observed issue). Perhaps GM didn't want to over-advertise the GTO and G8 due to their known limited supply? Pontiac Vibe = Toyota Matrix. Main loss was the Grand Prix, the only Pontiac on a North American platform, but built in the same plant as the Olds Intrigue, for many years. Then word came down that Chevy was to be the GM Performance Brand, only GM Perf Brand, as if to justify not having Grand Prix vehicles.

Pontiac? Look at what Hyundai/KIA now have and at what price point. Maybe even Mitsubishi? By observation, EVERY time GM has backed away from some market segment, the Aisian brands were filling those spots within one model year. Olds' deletion lost GM 250K sales. Plymouth's deletion lost Chrysler 240K sales/year. How many import brands even SELL that many vehicles in the NA market?

Mercury was always an "upscale Ford", although Lincoln was "upper crust" from the beginning, as was Cadillac and Imperial. Mustang became some pretty neat upscale Cougars, too. Having a higher-volume model platform from which "to build" was what made these additional car divisions "work". PLUS corporate people who wanted them to work! GM was at its best when GM divisions were their own best competitors! Similar with Ford and Chrysler, too. Those were the days when car styling was "something to look at", with interiors that were spectacular (even on the base models!), when compared to some of what we now have. Those were THE DAYS!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

The Cascada could be for Buick what Camaro is for Chevrolet. Doesn't have to be fast or quick per se, but have enough responsive power to not be underpowered and still look neat. More about "the profile" rather than "burned rubber at stop signs", I suspect. The prior-gen (pre-Daimler) Chrysler Sebrings did this for Chrysler.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Totally Agree. I do not like to beat cars up so will not do any burnouts anyway. Just want something that gets up to cruising speed on an Interstate highway quickly, and climbs hills without lack of power. No need to smoke the tires, They cost too much to replace these days. Dandy Dave!

From a non racer's point of view, I can say that the 13' Regal GS has superb performance. More than enough get up and go, and tight suspension which can easily out maneuver the countless potholes where I take it. Gets decent, but not stellar , gas milage on the open road ( so far I have not had a new Buick that can match our 93 Regal Custom for gas milage) Unfortunately this car will have a different powerplant.

It's easy to see the Opel roots in this convertible. But I still get compliments on the Regal GS so I do not think that is going to be a major problem. But I would also agree that the stylists kept the design too conservative. None-the-less, I still think it is a good looking car and I hope it does well enough that we get several more model years where it can be improved.

I'm still trying to like this car... I just wish they had named it something better, like Regal CV or Ragalis or Regalia. Or what ever happened with the 2004 Velite concept car pictured below. I liked that car and the name.

post-31987-143142946444_thumb.jpg

Cascada.... sounds like

post-31987-143142946438_thumb.jpg

or a

post-31987-14314294643_thumb.png

neither of which work for me....

but I'll keep trying.

edit) for those wondering, that last image is a Cicada.

post-31987-143142946442_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

and aside from the Buick insignia fore and aft, what about this car says Buick? Where are the portholes, where is the Buick waterfall grill? Seriously can anyone offer anything style wise that says this is a Buick. I'm willing to stretch my imagination if anyone can offer "something".

Just allow ME to paint on some SCALLOPS, and EVERYONE will fall in LOVE. hehe

We had cicada's a few years ago, so loud while on the phone folks would say, WHAT'S THAT NOISE. We live in the woods, so millions and millions.

Dale in Indy

Actually Dale, I see some "scallops" molded into the body which is fine but they are not sweep spear inspired.

Re: Cicadas, I have tinnitus, I hear them ALL THE D*** TIME!!!!

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks
post-30591-143142946524_thumb.jpgThe Velite was beautiful, I agree wholeheartedly the Cascada needs a waterfall grill and the portholes. I actually am liking the name, if you say it with a little bit of European flair it's got a nice ring to it. Who knows, maybe we will see those changes, there is still time before production for them to make last-minute improvements. I also wouldn't mind seeing the scoop/fog light front facia as seen on a regal GS. Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)