Besasie Chevrolet Accessories

oldironkc

After seeing the Milwaukee address in the ad, I googled Ray Besasie and realized that I had actualy seen one of his cars parked at what I recall as a Texaco station somewhere on Oklahoma avenue not far from the Excalibur plant in West Allis, WI. I may even have taken a photograph of the car, but knew absolutely nothing about it until now. Thanks for the post.

Edited by Larry W
Sp (see edit history)

Larry that is cool. Ray built 4 cars total, one had tiller steering. He was Brooks Stevens personal mechanic and his son's Ray Jr and Joe also worked for him. They helped Ray build the cars. The first and my favorite being the Besasie Barracuda. The Turbo Supercharger was started in 1939 and was actually adapted to more than just the Chevy 6 engine. Juan Fangio is said to have used one in the early South American Pan Am races in one of his Chevys before switching over to a Wayne 12 Port.

post-84374-143142810623_thumb.png

post-84374-143142810629_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest rcrmonte3
The Besasie Barracuda may be on a '53 Corvette Frame. When first built it sported a Corvette 235 motor with the triple carb side draft intake.

I believe the Barracuda (X-1) is on a 53 corvette frame. The last I heard, it is undergoing restoration somewhere in Michigan. The X-2 is lost and possibly destroyed. The last pictures or the X-2--which had a Cadillac engine & transmission BEHIND the driver--were taken in an impound yard in Skokie, IL in the early 70's. If anyone knows more about the location of the X-2, I would be very interested.

The X-3 Explorer is currently in my shop undergoing restoration. http://www.retrocom.com/retromilw/besasie.htm. Follow this link--you may have to paste it into the address bar of your browser--for pictures of all the cars.

The last I heard of the X-4, it is in a barn/garage somewhere in Jefferson County, WI.

If anyone in SE Wisconsin is interested in helping me restore the X-3, I would welcome the assistance, especially since it needs rewiring and I'm very inept when it comes to electrical things.

• 6 years later...

Ran across the name Besasie in the site. In the spring of 1950 my dad bought a Besasie Turbochager and installed it with a great deal of effort on our 1940 family Chevrolet. I was 15 and learned to drive on it. Besasie was very bright and could do almosdt anything imaginable with his hands, but kind of off-the-wall. The unit as it came required hours and hours to make it work with any reliability. The poured babbit rod bearings (used by Chevrotet thru 1952!) required frequent attention.

I learned to drive with this car. It was faster than any flathead Ford in town. My dad took it off shortly after I g ot my license(no surprise) and sold it thru an ad in Hot Rod magzine.

I have photos of the installation. If anyone is interested i can find and scan/post.

Going back further, my dad was friends with Joe Jagerberger, who manufactured and sold RaJo OHV heads for model T Fords in the teens and 20s. Ra for Racine, WI and Jo for Joe. Joe came this country from Austria for M-B cars and later went to work for Case, who made cars early on but went to tractors later. He drove in the first Indy 500 for Case. I used to visit him with my dad. Joe died in 1952 and I have his obit, again "somwhere". Can probably dig it out if anyone is interested