Must have clock removal tool

RivNut

For those of you who are having a problem removing the clock from the dash, I've found a great tool for helping you get a grip on the clock.

Take a cap off one of your rattle cans and push it on the clock bezel. It will extend far enough beyond the bezels for you to get a good grip on it. Then just put some pressure on it and turn it counter clockwise. The clock will come out very neatly. Reverse the process to re-install it.

Ed

Ed, there's no fasteners behind the clock? If not that's pretty much how all Porsche gauges are held in. There's a plastic interior split every few inches and once you push the gauge in its very difficult to get it out. Is that how the Riv clocks are held in?

There are two studs, one on each side of the clock housing. They fit into two slots on a spring on the back of the dash. Just twist hard to the left, the springs give to the pressure and the studs slip out of the slots. The rattle can cap gives you something to grab hold of that sticks out beyond the bezels for the speedo and gauges. The rubber band works if your hands aren't too big (like mine) to get a grip on the clock bezel.

Guest dwhiteside64
Ed, there's no fasteners behind the clock? If not that's pretty much how all Porsche gauges are held in. There's a plastic interior split every few inches and once you push the gauge in its very difficult to get it out. Is that how the Riv clocks are held in?

No fasteners, just twist the clock about 45 degrees CCW and pull out. There are small round tabs on the clock body that slide behind the dash when you insert it back in that holds it tightly in place. To reinstall, line up the tabs with the slot cutouts in the dash and twist CW till it locks in place.

Ed's right: the plactic cap works like a charm!

Ed I used the rattle can cap with a slight modification to take mine out - the clock of course wasn't working and needed cleaning. What I did was cut out a small piece of rug anti-slip material and put that over the clock - then slid the cap over that and the clock turns with very little effort at all. Mine was initially very hard to get out and I needed more leverage without any slippage to get it out, so I came up with this modification to add friction to the process. Friction is sometimes a good thing.

I have attached some pictures to show the process and material that I used.

post-95345-143142781865_thumb.jpg

The rug-anti slip material is quite thin and has a rubber property that gives you maximum grip providing more leverage. I also found that this type of rattle can top that was tapered a bit worked better than ones without the taper.

Rock On

gord

post-95345-143142781788_thumb.jpg

post-95345-143142781815_thumb.jpg

post-95345-143142781842_thumb.jpg

Edited by msdminc
Corrected Spelling (see edit history)

Ed I used the rattle can cap with a slight modification to take mine out - it wasn't working and needed cleaning. I cut out a small piece of rug anti-slip and put that over the clock - then slid the cap over that and the clock turns with very little effort at all. Mine was initiall very hard to get out and I needed more leverage without any slippage to get it out, so I came up with this modification.

I have attached some pictures to show the process and material that I used.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]275803[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]275804[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]275805[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]275806[/ATTACH]

The rug-anti slip is quite thin and has a rubber property that gives you maximum leverage. I also found that this type of rattle can with a top that was tapered a bit worked better than ones without the taper.

Rock On

gord

Being inspired by watching Shark Tank on TV, I am now selling this tool on line for 19.95!

Dear Mr. Seafoam, if that is in fact your real name. The anti-skid material that you are marketing as your own can be easily identified and differentiated from other commercially available similar products by it's patented grid pattern....expect a cease & desist order from the corporate law firm of Dewey, Cheatham, & Howe any minute. Henceforth you should advise your "associates", "Ed" & "MrRiveria" (really? you guys don't scare us) to divest themselves of any business arrangements they may have with you until this matter is fully resolved. Thank you for your cooperation