1930s street scene, unknown coupe

Guest JayCeeVee

Guest JayCeeVee

Hi, everyone. I came across an interesting picture of a street in Los Angeles in the 1930s, and while most of the cars are pretty standard, one in the foreground stuck out. Unfortunately, this rear view is all I have, which makes me even more curious what the front looked like.

Registered here just to post this. I'm really just kind of idly curious, but this place looks like my best bet for finding someone who might know what it is. (I'm also posting the original photo that I cropped it from, just in case you'd all like to see it.) Thanks in advance!

post-81548-143138759078_thumb.jpg

post-81548-143138759081_thumb.jpg

Yep, as mentioned, a 1936-37 Studee coupe. U could actually open the rear window on some of them.

There is a good write up on them in Collectible Automobile mag Dec 2011 edition.

The first car on the left is a 33-34 Ford coupe. Does anyone know what the car on the right is?

Manuel in Oz

Guest JayCeeVee

Wow, you folks are good! And fast! Thanks very much, this has been bugging me for six months. The "Dictator" - what a funny name for a car, even (or especially?) in 1937! Anyway, thanks again.

Wow, you folks are good! And fast! Thanks very much, this has been bugging me for six months. The "Dictator" - what a funny name for a car, even (or especially?) in 1937! Anyway, thanks again.

The name was intended that the model "dictated the standard" that other automobile makes would be obliged to follow.