Ghostly Gas Stations

TG57Roadmaster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've passed by this station in Bedford PA a few times, again not for about 10-15 years. Does anyone know if it's still around?

Bedford, PA Gulf station </div></div>

Dave

That's the station I attached in my third post above. I stated that it was in State College. Is that near Bedford, or was I wrong??

Bedford is the exit between Breezewood and Somerset on the PA Turnpike, where I-99 meets I-76. The town is just south of the Turnpike, and the station is near downtown on the old Lincoln Hwy (which I think is actually called Pitt St. inside the city limits).

It'd be an easy stop on the way to Hershey for anyone approaching from the west. If you look online there are probably dozens of photos of this station. It was featured in a PBS documentary made by Pittsburgh's WQED called <span style="font-style: italic">Pennsylvania Roadshow</span> as well.

Hiya Mac,

You've been <span style="font-style: italic">busy</span>, and so have I, and I missed these till tonight. There's no doubt that the station you posted is a Sinclair..the one with the blue, peaked roof is Pure Oil. If y'all would go to the trouble of downloading & printing the Texas DOT doc first referred to at the top of this Thread, you'll be that much closer to ID'ing <span style="font-style: italic">many</span> of the stations you encounter.

It's not going to contain Crown, Hess, or other regional stations in your area, but it'll give more info than you ever dreamed of...

TG

435461-57BuickStonehenge2.jpg

Just <span style="font-weight: bold">do</span> it!

post-43799-143137924135_thumb.jpg

MCHinson,

Thanks for all your efforts in and around Wilmington. Rereading the posts, <span style="font-style: italic">this</span> is the building referred to as the old bus station. In hindsight, I think it was being prepped for film usage <span style="font-weight: bold">as</span> a bus station, and it looks like maybe an old dealership? I got interior pix of it as well, just took me a while to find 'em!

TG

post-43799-143137924165_thumb.jpg

I'll have to do some research. That building IS across the street from where I was told that the bus station was. (Maybe my oldtimer source was wrong, or maybe this building was not the bus station.) That building, as well as some adjacent recent construction now makes up Pontiac Place Condominiums. A building about a block down the street from this building was the Pontiac dealer up until about 25 or so years ago, I think that this building was probably the home of the Pontiac Dealer before that time. I'll get some current photos soon.

Thanks Lamar,

I think so too. In the northwoods of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, my grampa had a Standard Oil station. Top, Grampa, his son Marvin and Peter Turpeinen, hiding, circa 1950; the '49 Packard Club Sedan (& all the papers with it) is the subject of a thread in the Packard Forum. Bottom, my dad, Grampa and Skippy, in 1952, on dad's first trip up north.

Guess you could say it's in my genes.

TG

post-43799-143137924205_thumb.jpg

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Guest imported_MrEarl

My Grandfather, Papa Brown, ran the Five Points Station in Winterville (in case you just happen to know where that is)when I was little. Lot's of fond memories of pumping gas and using a stool to wash windshields. My pay... a big ol' Tom's oatmeal cookie and a Red Rock Cola. Why Red Rock? cause that's where my dad worked at.

Dad.jpg

RedRockonWBroadSt.jpg

This building is still there. See the big house up the hill to the left top in the picture, that's where the Varsity is now. I KNOW you know where the Varsity is.

Tom, I really like the Gibson Brothers photo too!

But, as promised, here is a current view of your last Wilmington Photo. A few years ago, "Pontiac Place Condos" was developed. I think originally they had some residential as well as business Condos in the renovated building. As far as I can tell, it looks like they are all business condos now. They are building a "little" addition on the north side. If I understand correctly, this new building will all be residential condos.

post-47089-143137924217_thumb.jpg

Goes to show you that some bikers have the right idea...cruise the back roads, and take time to "smell the flowers." In this case, "take the pictures." Those are very nifty!

Wish I could have saved Grampa's garage; it was just too far gone. I did find a couple of ashtrays and his small hanging "Parkila Auto Repairs" sign, along with a bunch of still-boxed parts from the office, plus other cool stuff. Talk about treasure...

TG

post-43799-143137924226_thumb.jpg

Lamar,

Can you imagine the thrill of pulling up to a car show in one of those Red Rock Cola beverage trucks? The only clincher would be to find enough bottles & racks to stock it! Do you think the Rock Hill Body Company of Rock Hill, SC may have bodied those trucks? After producing the Anderson Car from 1916-1925, RHBC emerged as a builder of purpose-built truck bodies. Beverage trucks, moving vans, bookmobiles, they had fairly steady business till their closure in the '80's.

28755RHBC_38_Ford_Allied_BW_300-med.jpg

Maybe there's some info at the Athens Library? Here's an RHBC body on a '38 Ford chassis, in front of their small factory, which is undergoing renovation by the City of Rock Hill. You can see their small body tag below and to the right of the phone number; their slogan, "Built to Endure". By the mid-fifties, they'd switched to a rectangular tag.

TG

post-43799-143137924479_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture taken just this week on the village green of Canfield, Ohio. This was formerly a gas station, but now is the home of an interior decorator, who was very careful to preserve and enhance the appearance of the station. Location: Rt. 46, about 1/4 mile south of the intersection of US 224 and Rt. 46.

Fred

post-48037-143137924506_thumb.jpg

MR TIP,

What a sweet little "suite" of offices for that decorator; he or she should be congratulated on a job well done.

This now-closed antiques shop housed in a former Phillips 66 lives on NC Hwy 115, just north of Charlotte. It's most unusual to find them with their signs still attached to the original posts. Made the pic 3/10/07, but development is encroaching, so this one probably won't last long.

TG

post-43799-143137924509_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just thought I'd share this photo, which shows a very early station behind a quite rare 1960 Oldsmobile Cotner-Bevington Combination Hearse/Ambulance. I found this on the side of the road near Marquand, MO a few years ago... It took me a long time to track down the owner, and even longer to convince him to sell it to me, but after about a year we got a surprise phone call.

As for the gas station, it was nearly destroyed, along with the hearse, when a tornado went through town. But in the end, nothing on the old hearse was damaged, even though a nearby building was nearly destroyed. If even one of those curved rear windows had cracked, I suspect it would be impossible to find a replacement. This old combination hearse had sat at the side of the road for so many years, that when the town got together for their local 4th of July picnic in the nearby town square, they had T-Shirts printed up that said: "MARQUAND, MO - A ONE HEARSE TOWN"... Honest, I'm not making this up.

I don't know if the old gas station is still there, but the Olds is now safe in my garage. Strangely, it has STICK SHIFT from the factory!!! I've never seen that in another hearse. Pretty weird, eh? I am thinking the building was originally a Conoco, and it was supposedly the second one ever built...

1960%20Oldsmobile%20Cotner%20Bevington%20Combination%20Hearse.jpg

If anyone is interested, I have more photos of the building that I may attach if I can find them again...

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lamar,

Can you imagine the thrill of pulling up to a car show in one of those Red Rock Cola beverage trucks? The only clincher would be to find enough bottles & racks to stock it! Do you think the Rock Hill Body Company of Rock Hill, SC may have bodied those trucks? After producing the Anderson Car from 1916-1925, RHBC emerged as a builder of purpose-built truck bodies. Beverage trucks, moving vans, bookmobiles, they had fairly steady business till their closure in the '80's.

28755RHBC_38_Ford_Allied_BW_300-med.jpg

</div></div>

Here's a similar moving van that a local street rod guy was converting with a Lincoln Zephyr front clip before he passed away... I don't know if it's sold yet, but I suspect it could be converted back to the Ford nose as shown in your photo. I was told it was originally a '38 Ford... Just thought I'd share, as their certainly aren't many of these still around in ANY condition...

000_19701.jpg

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for the info and the lead to <span style="font-style: italic">Atomic Ranch</span>; how'd you guess I dig anything Mid-Century? As for your neat Olds Hearse, have you gone to the excellent www.coachbuilt.com for the history of Cotner-Bevington? It's listed in the Professional Car category. As for the moving van, is there any way to find out if the body has a builder tag/ID still attached...it may be too late, but worth a try!

Here's some Conoco info straight from the Texas DOT Field Guide, listed in the very first post of this thread.

TG

post-43799-143137924512_thumb.jpg

Greetings ghastly, ghostly ghoulies,

When we were travelling about before the days of the Interstates, my bro' & sis' & and I would spy an old house like that and yell, "Dream House!"

Ya see, the first one to claim it got to dream about restoring it to its former glory; <span style="font-style: italic">way</span> before any of this crapola on HGTV, DIY or what have you.

Don'tcha think the same thing kinda applies to old cars/garages/gas stations/dealerships? Who knows, we might "start a fashion" and get young'ins into the hobby thru a (very scary, cob-webbed) back door!

Ponder <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> on your next Road Trip.

TG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know who Boo Radley is,.....</div></div>

You must have never read the book/seen the movie <span style="font-style: italic">To Kill A Mockingbird</span>

Boo Radley was the first part that Robert Duvall played in a movie. He was a mentally unstable neighbor of the two main characters (Jem and "Scout" whose real name was Jean Louise) that were brother and sister. A true classic about how prejudice can override the truth.

A few great old cars/trucks are in the movie too.

• 2 months later...